October 20, 2017

Thanks for lamb shanks!

Posted on March 25, 2008 by in lamb

I am sure that many people had lamb over the Easter period and a perfectly Roasted leg of lamb is hard to beat, but in any kind of meat, I prefer the meat from the fore quarter. The meat is tough, I agree, but pot roasting, braising and stewing really brings out the flavor of these(normally) cheaper cuts.

I was going to make Peter from Kalofagas’s Chicken recipe tonight, but when I arrived home with the 2 shanks, hubby said: ” No chicken for me thanks, I’ll have one of those!!!”. Sorry Peter, tomorrow night!

Braised Lamb shanks.

2 lamb shanks(trimmed, ask your butcher)
a little flour
salt and pepper
250ml chopped tomatoes(I used tinned)
a sprig of rosemary
a sprig of thyme
125ml red wine
1 tsp sugar
4 cloves garlic
zest and juice of a lemon
1/2 a chili, finely chopped

Ps – I also added about 1/2 tsp dried rosemary and dried coriander and it does add more flavor.

Method

Dust the shanks with flour and brown in a hot skillet.
Place in oven dish(with lid) with all other ingredients.
Braise for 1 1/2 – 2 hours until meat is very soft.
Take out the oven and serve on polenta, rice or pasta.

I served mine with Polenta, here’s how….

Make polenta according to packet instructions. When cooked, add a knob of butter and a handful of grated parmesan cheese.

21 Responses to “Thanks for lamb shanks!”

1. Peter M 25 March 2008 at 7:26 pm #

Ahahahaha, no offense taken. You and the husband made the right decision to go for the lamb…chicken can be had anytime!

2. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 25 March 2008 at 7:51 pm #

Thx Peter, my husband (Des) thinks chicken is a vegetable anyway.

3. Emiline 25 March 2008 at 8:09 pm #

Yummm, that looks wonderful. Especially with cheesy polenta.

4. Fearless Kitchen 25 March 2008 at 10:21 pm #

This looks pretty fabulous! I liked the use of polenta. It’s not something I really use much of, it being more Northern Italian than Southern, but I can see where it would be a great addition here. I bet that the polenta was just great after soaking up the lamb juices!

5. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 26 March 2008 at 7:05 am #

emiline – It was sublime!!!

fearless kitchen – Thx for the info re polenta. It was lovely with all the juices.

6. SteamyKitchen 26 March 2008 at 1:43 pm #

droolworthy lamb shank, indeed!

7. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 26 March 2008 at 4:47 pm #

We are on a bit of a meat binge…..it was delicious, though!

8. Elle 26 March 2008 at 4:52 pm #

Oh, that’s just a thing of beauty! Just gorgeous. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

9. taste memory 27 March 2008 at 3:37 am #

stunning ~ @ reading the recipe i can only imagine how delicious esp. lamb combined w. tomatoes, lemon & coriander….are those mustard seeds in the sauce? – perfect!

beautiful plating ~ TY for sharing your supper 😉

10. Mochachocolata Rita 27 March 2008 at 3:59 am #

beautiful….i just learnt how to braise things 🙂 so wanna try this one…i love lamb 🙂

11. Elly 27 March 2008 at 5:26 am #

These look perfect! I absolutely love braised lamb shanks and the flavors in this sound perfect.

12. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 27 March 2008 at 6:17 am #

taste memory – all the flavors are just perfect partners for lamb isn’t it.

rita – go on give it a go.

elly – it was perfect, just one of those dishes where everything was spot on.

13. linda 27 March 2008 at 12:26 pm #

This looks so delicious! I can almost taste it…

14. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 27 March 2008 at 1:58 pm #

Thx Linda for the comment as well as popping in.

15. Bellini Valli 27 March 2008 at 4:12 pm #

Looks like your family had a wonderful Easter with many delicious foods. The lamb looks incredible….nice presentation too:D

16. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 27 March 2008 at 4:34 pm #

valli – yes, family gatherings for us is very important and it gives my children roots. Thx for popping in.

17. Kevin 28 March 2008 at 3:26 am #

That lamb shank dinner looks amazing and tasty!

18. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 28 March 2008 at 5:24 am #

This was one of my dinners that left me speechless, it was amazing, thank you!

19. Marianna 16 April 2008 at 2:55 pm #

wow, I have been looking through your posts now and I just have to say you cook terrificly well! Everything looks so delicious, you’re really good with all those meat-chicken-fish type dishes (on which I am trying to improve). I think I may have found some inspiration here at your blog!

20. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 16 April 2008 at 5:10 pm #

I grew up with flavorsome food, so I do not think it is so spectacular, but when one of the “blog queens” visit your site and leave such positive comments, it is truly an inspiration.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Easy Lamb shanks - it is even better with a pastry crust - May 21, 2014

[…] Easy Lamb shanks on creamy mashed potatoes or even buttery samp is very hard to beat as typical winter food! […]