July 22, 2017

Sweet salsa.

Posted on April 1, 2008 by in sauces

Print Friendly

At the moment we are experiencing a heatwave of note and the temperatures vary from 34-38 C
and for me it is way too hot!!! We are fortunate, however to enjoy the last of the summer fruits and the mangoes and grapes are at their sweetest.
After a week of meat binging I was ready to try something light and healthy for a change and came up with this salsa idea.

Mango, avocado and corn salsa

1 pineapple (de-cored and diced finely)
1 big mango, diced
1 red pepper diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 chili, diced
herb of choice – I used basil and parsley(my family is not keen on coriander)
lemon- infused olive oil
juice and zest of a lemon
Season to taste.

Chop and mix everything together and serve with grilled fish, chicken of grilled halomi cheese.

I served mine with crumbed fish and a curry mayonnaise.

Tags:

20 Responses to “Sweet salsa.”

1. RecipeGirl 1 April 2008 at 3:58 pm #

Delicious- sweet salsas are my favorite. I think everyone in the colder parts of the world will appreciate your warm post 🙂

2. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 1 April 2008 at 4:33 pm #

recipegirl – thx for coming to visit so regularly, much appreciated!!

3. Peter M 1 April 2008 at 4:53 pm #

Wow, that’s hot considering your summer’s ending.

Nothing wrong with eating light and the salsa is colourful and no doubt delish.

4. Kate 1 April 2008 at 7:41 pm #

I just made something very similar last night, but with pineapple instead of mango. My husband ate all our mango 🙁

5. noble pig 1 April 2008 at 7:45 pm #

This does look beautiful and looks like it would go well on my fish tacos!

6. giz 1 April 2008 at 9:38 pm #

The salsa looks so good I could probably make a meal of it without anything to go with it.

7. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 1 April 2008 at 10:07 pm #

peter – we were in the pool tonight at 9pm.

kate – husbands do that some time, mine loves condensed milk.

noble pig – great idea, let me know if it worked.

giz – you’re right, I had the leftovers for lunch today.

8. Kevin 2 April 2008 at 3:04 am #

That sweet salsa sounds really good!

9. Lori Lynn 2 April 2008 at 3:42 am #

I’m saving this recipe for a hot summer night with barbecued fish, as you recommend.

10. Nina 2 April 2008 at 5:52 am #

I love mango salsa but I never thought about putting pineapple in it too. Great idea!

11. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 2 April 2008 at 6:58 am #

kevin.Thx, go on give it a go.

lori lynn – that will be divine.You must be dying for summer to arrive as I am praying for winter.

nina – aahh, a name sake, if I am not mistaken it is your first visit. Please come again!

12. Emiline 2 April 2008 at 11:05 am #

That salsa really does sound refreshing.
    I’m not too keen on coriander, either.

13. glamah16 2 April 2008 at 3:04 pm #

That’s a lovely refreshing tasty salsa. I would eat it with fish or chicken. Oh hurry up summer!

14. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 2 April 2008 at 3:12 pm #

emiline – the great cooks out there will have a lot to say about us not liking coriander.

glamah – And I say: “Oh hurry up winter!”

15. Mochachocolata Rita 2 April 2008 at 4:12 pm #

gosh tat’s really hot!….but your salsa looks soooo refreshing…try japanese cucumber salad? toss some thinly sliced cucumber with crab meat, fish roe and japanese mayo? very refreshing ^^

16. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 2 April 2008 at 4:30 pm #

rita – I will most definitely do that, thx for the tip.

17. taste memory 2 April 2008 at 4:50 pm #

I am wondering if the climate is similar to northern california/mediterranean where you are at (south africa)….because the fruits & your type of cooking seems to reflect a similarity to that very much.

I grew up in san francisco and there is such a lush availability of fresh fruits/vegetables….oh esp. figs – love your post on figs.

I also think wines from South Africa are so underrated….they are one of my favorites because they are so unique + love the mineral/fruit balance in them.

18. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 2 April 2008 at 8:00 pm #

taste memory – I live in Cape Town and we have primarily a winter rainfall with very hot summers. Normally the climate changes round about Easter, but this year we are tortured for just a bit longer with the heat.
    I should know more about SA wines as I am living in the Winelands, but sadly I am a complete novice when it comes the the knowledge of wine.

19. Helene 2 April 2008 at 11:28 pm #

Loos so good. I love sweet salsas.

20. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 3 April 2008 at 7:18 am #

Helene – Thanks for the visit, I love the looks of that salmon wrap on your blog.