January 22, 2018

Toasted Cheese,please Mom!

Posted on May 2, 2008 by in sandwiches

If I ask my children anytime of the day what they would like for supper, the answer is unanimous: “Toasted cheese, please Mom!”. Instead of slamming two slices of bread together with tomato and cheese and popping it into the toaster, I decided to raise the bar a bit and dress up this old favorite. The family raved over this one and I am therefor entering this recipe into the Sandwich festival 2008.

The event is hosted by Anupama from Food-n-More and is a lovely event as we all love sandwiches. So come on all, let’s give it a go……

So there is now quantities to this recipe, but this is what I did.

Toasted Cheese Sandwich

I sliced up a ciabatta lengthwise, brushed it with olive oil and toasted it slightly.
Slice tomatoes thinly, by hand or mandolin. Alternate layers of tomato with strong white cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with fresh thyme, black pepper and sea salt.
Grill and serve on toasted ciabatta. I added some capers and drizzled a few drops of lemon-infused olive oil over the top for extra oompf…

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “Toasted Cheese,please Mom!”

1. Peter G 3 May 2008 at 10:35 am #

Looks delicious Nina…great pic and styling…Will have to check out this event myself.

2. That Girl 3 May 2008 at 8:50 pm #

I seriously thought we were the only family that ate toasted cheese

3. Lori Lynn 3 May 2008 at 9:08 pm #

Love your whimsical photo!

4. Lina 4 May 2008 at 7:11 am #

really cool picture! That looks like a simple and awesome lunch!

5. Arundathi 4 May 2008 at 8:33 am #

that looks delicious!!

6. diva@theSugarBar 4 May 2008 at 12:13 pm #

that looks so yummy and i’m starving right now. suppose i’ll make this for lunch. yay!

7. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 4 May 2008 at 3:13 pm #

peter g – I think you should, can’t wait to see what sandwich you can come up with…

that girl – not by a long shot

lori lynn – I had to Google the meaning of the word “whimsical”, because around here the word has a negative meaning. Thank goodness yours was a compliment.

lina – the ingredients were so fresh that it could never have been a bad lunch

arundathi – it was…

diva@the sugarbar – simple, fast and delicious…

8. Neen 4 May 2008 at 6:14 pm #

Okay, that’s gorgeous. Never mind the kids, serve that to the adults!

9. Daziano 4 May 2008 at 6:15 pm #

YUM!!!! And the photo is so pretty!

10. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 4 May 2008 at 7:31 pm #

neen – around here, the kids and adults eat pretty much the same…

daziano – thank you so much.q

11. Anupama 5 May 2008 at 12:49 am #

Hey Nina,
    Thanks for this gorgeous gorgeous recipe. My tummy is rumbling with hunger just looking at that pic. Beautiful presentation.

P.s. Could you please mail me all the details like URL and stuff again. I have not recd your mail. Even checked my bulk folder. Sorry for the bother.

12. Janna 5 May 2008 at 3:08 am #

Can I come to your house for dinner…every day? I just did a quick glance at several of your posts and then added you as a “Fellow Foodie” on my own blog. I will definitely be stopping by more.
    Love it all- the prawns…the curry…the desserts…
    I am a HUGE seafood fan and it looks like you are too. Yay!

13. Passionate baker...& beyond 5 May 2008 at 3:14 am #

Hey Nina…what a great way of dressing up a sandwich & taking it to another level altogether. The flavours are lovely!!

14. Marianna 5 May 2008 at 1:48 pm #

First of all I have to say I really love the photo you posted here! Second of all, everything I read sounds delicious! These must be really enjoyable to eat!

15. Jessy and her dog Winnie 5 May 2008 at 10:39 pm #

Nice picture! It looks so yummy with the melted cheese!

16. noble pig 5 May 2008 at 11:01 pm #

Oh it’s lovely, it really is. Kids love it simple!

17. RecipeGirl 6 May 2008 at 12:48 am #

Hmmmm. I think my little one would enjoy this one too. Great job with it- it looks lovely too!

18. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 6 May 2008 at 11:26 am #

anupama – thanks for your uplifting comments.I have send you the URL and such to your email.

janna – welcome to my site, you are most welcome here and all your comments are valued.

passionate baker – it just goes to show how easy it is to take average dishes to another level.

marianna – your humble me with your kindness.

jessy – who does not like melted cheese

noble pig – you are so right, but I want the children to “eat with their eyes” from a young age.

recipe girl – I am sure he would. You guys are really in a festive mood there in your parts of the woods…have fun

19. Proud Italian Cook 6 May 2008 at 3:36 pm #

Nina, What a beautiful twist to a ‘cheese sandwich”!

20. My Sweet & Saucy 6 May 2008 at 5:54 pm #

I love making sandwiches like this too! They are sooo yummy! I like your addition of lemon-infused olive oil!

21. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 6 May 2008 at 7:26 pm #

proud Italian cook – the ingredients were so fresh, all I had to do was to assemble.

my sweet and saucy – I go through bottles of that in a month.

22. Jeanne 13 May 2008 at 1:08 am #

This is the kind of sandwich we do in my house too, rather than the closed ones. Yours looks spectacular – even though I’m not realyl a chilli eater I love the look of them!