June 23, 2018

Coffee and Walnut cake with Iced-coffee Frosting

Posted on June 21, 2008 by in baked goods

Coffee and Walnut cake with Iced-coffee Frosting

I have given you this basic sponge recipe before, but this time I decided to give it a slight twist. I love coffee and to me an Iced coffee is the ultimate treat, but at the moment it is so cold and rainy that the idea of downing a glass full of cold liquid does not appeal to me at all.
I like to bake at least 1 cake on a Friday for spontaneous visits from friends and family. So on Friday, I decided to go for the basic sponge, because it is flop proof, but added some chopped walnuts and some coffee flavor to it. The recipe yields two big cakes – I made a 4-layered cake. You can easily half the recipe.

Coffee and Walnut cake

Basic Sponge

450 gr self raising flour
450 gr soft butter
450 gr caster sugar
8 eggs
10ml baking powder
pinch of salt

Put all the ingredients in a mixer and beat until thick and fluffy add a little milk if too stiff.

For the Walnut and Coffee cake

Mix basic sponge and add:

200 ml chopped walnuts
15ml strong coffee essence – I used a good instant coffee, mixed with a little water.

Grease 2×23 cm cake tins. Divide batter into two tins. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
Cool.

Coffee and Walnut cake with Iced-coffee Frosting

Frosting

500 ml cream
1 pkt instant vanilla pudding
10 ml coffee essence – I used instant coffee with a little water.
250ml cold milk

Mix vanilla pudding and milk and let it set in fridge.
Beat cream until stiff, add vanilla pudding and coffee and beat until fluffy.
Cut cake in 4 layers and spread frosting on liberally.

Tags:

16 Responses to “Coffee and Walnut cake with Iced-coffee Frosting”

1. noble pig 21 June 2008 at 5:33 pm #

Sounds and looks delicious. What a perfect Saturday treat!

2. Zen Chef 21 June 2008 at 5:46 pm #

Looks like you treat the unexpected guest quite nicely! Unexpected guests at my home get dry crackers and water. I know, i’m bad! 🙂

3. That Girl 21 June 2008 at 6:43 pm #

One of my favorite cakes from childhood was a chocolate cake with coffee frosting, and of course now I’m dying for a piece!

4. Peter M 21 June 2008 at 7:43 pm #

Nina, it’s a good sign that you frequently have unannounced guests drop by…surely for your warm hospitality. Who would resist the usual politeness and say no to this?

5. Kevin 21 June 2008 at 10:35 pm #

That coffee and walnut cake looks really good!

6. Jan 21 June 2008 at 10:57 pm #

Mmmm yum! That cake looks great!
    Nina – You need to look at my blog coz you’ve been TAGGED!!!

7. Christie @ fig&cherry 22 June 2008 at 6:39 am #

I prefer to drink my coffee – but your cakes sounds lovely. Nice shot too!

8. fatima 22 June 2008 at 9:11 pm #

Hi Nina, coffecupdiaries here, Thank you for visiting my blog. Wow!! Your blog is amazing!!! I sooo looove your pics and your recipes. The coffee and walnut cake is a must try for me. I love that combo too. BTW I always use instant pudding when whipping cream to stabilize it, that way for days after you still have ”stiff peaks” I am glad you gave me your blog address

9. Elly 23 June 2008 at 2:40 am #

Oooh yum, Nina! I want to dive right into that. Too bad I am not one of your weekend guests! 🙂

10. Janna 23 June 2008 at 9:42 pm #

looks delicious!
    Pretty too!

11. Rose&Thorn 24 June 2008 at 9:41 am #

Needed something to take to bible study on Wednesday – this will be perfect! Thanks alot!

12. Proud Italian Cook 24 June 2008 at 11:50 pm #

I would be one of those friends that would drop by in hopes that you baked up something, especially this!!

13. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 25 June 2008 at 7:42 am #

noble pig – you’re right, Saturdays are there for a reason.

zen chef – water and biscuits, sis on you!!!

that girl – you’re welcome to pop in….

peter m – I sure hope it is for my warm personality and not only the cake.

kevin – It really was great.

jan – thanks for always visiting, Jan and the tag. Sorry I could not do it.

christie – early in the morning, I prefer my coffee straight too.

fatima – I love having new visitors. And thanks for all the lovely comments.

elly – you are more than welcome – anytime!

janna – thanks!

rose – let me know how yours turn out.

proud italian cook – I have this fear that someone might rock up and there is nothing to eat – I swear, that day, I’ll make cinnamon toast.

14. Sophie 25 June 2008 at 11:16 pm #

I’m Sophie, Key Ingredient’s Chief Blogger. We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks 🙂

Sophie

15. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 26 June 2008 at 7:44 am #

sophie -I am flattered – 2 recipes????THx

16. Jeanne 10 July 2008 at 12:53 pm #

Mmmmm, iced coffee. Definitely agree that this is one of my ultimate treats, so I imgine I’d love this cake!