January 18, 2018

Croque Monsieur,or just a delicious Toastie?

Posted on July 18, 2008 by in sandwiches

A while back, I read somewhere about a Croque Monsieur and my taste buds were tickled immediately. I kept the idea in the back of my mind, thinking, mmmm…this is a great idea for a lazy Saturday brunch. Little did I know that the idea would evolve into a “emergency lunch” real soon.
You see, I have been a substitute teacher for 3 days now and boy, has it turned my family upside-down!!! I know, I know, I’ve spoiled them….. All of a sudden there is no lunch when we get home and suppers….well, is just not what they are used to. After the first day, I arrived at home and the whole family came to meet me in the garage with these “hungry, haunted” faces. I was glad that I had all the basic ingredients for this lavish sandwich….and so was my family.

For an explanation on what a Croque Monsieur is, click here.

I am giving you my easy version, although you will find many elaborate recipes on the Food Blog search.

Croque Monsieur

400 ml of thick bechamel sauce, and added 1 heaped Tbsp of Dijon mustard.
8 slices of bread – a nice big rustic loaf, will be ideal.
4 slices of pepper ham( I liked the bite of the pepper)
about 1 1/2 cup grated
Gruyere cheese
capers or green peppercorns

a small salad.

Although the authentic way of making this sandwich, is to cover the sandwich with the bechamel sauce and then bake it, I chose to put the sauce between the slices of bread. It is easier to handle and less messy for the children. So simply spread 4 of the slices lavishly with the bechamel sauce. Top with a slice of ham and the cheese and finish off with the 2nd slice of bread.
Heat some butter in a pan and fry the sandwiches on both sides, on a low heat so that the cheese will get a chance to melt. Add butter to the pan if it gets to dry. Serve the delicate treats with capers and a simple tomato salad or change it to a Croque Madam and top it with a fried egg..

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “Croque Monsieur,or just a delicious Toastie?”

1. Peter M 18 July 2008 at 5:48 pm #

It’s not a sandwich one can have everyday but it’s a mighty tasty one. A cup of soup on the side???

2. That Girl 18 July 2008 at 6:51 pm #

This sounds like a great dinner to me!

3. [eatingclub] vancouver || js 18 July 2008 at 7:50 pm #

Let me ooh and aah about this one for a second before I get back to my corner.

Oooh.

Aaah.

*back in corner*

4. Cynthia 19 July 2008 at 1:49 am #

Ah Nina, why oh why do you torture us like this. It is just not fair!

5. noble pig 19 July 2008 at 4:46 am #

Oh lovely, the sandwich sauce…perfect.

6. Sweet Bird 19 July 2008 at 5:24 pm #

ooh….those look delicious.

7. Maryann 19 July 2008 at 5:48 pm #

Hi Nina, sweety! Look at that cheese oozing out of your sandwich! Oh my..I’d be in trouble if I had this in front of me!

8. Katie 20 July 2008 at 3:49 am #

Yum! Great blog!

9. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 20 July 2008 at 6:46 am #

peter – I’m thinking….a chunky tomato soup?

that girl – it sure was!!!!

eating club – he-he, what you’re doing in the corner???

cynthia – trust me it was desperation, nothing intentional.

noble pig – you’re gonna give it a go?

sweet bird – I promise you, they are.

maryann – aaahhhh, my old friend. Thanks for visiting. Next time, stay for coffee at least.

katie – thanks for the visit, I love new visitors.

10. Antonio Tahhan 20 July 2008 at 7:46 am #

Nina, this sandwich not only looks delicious, but it also reminds me of the very first thing I actually cooked in the kitchen – bechamel. I remember being fascinated by this sauce when I was young and insisted that my mom teach me how to make this rich, tasty sauce! I’ve never made these sandwiches, but may have to pull out this recipe this coming week since I foresee it being soooo hectic : )

11. canarygirl 20 July 2008 at 11:41 am #

Oh, Nina, this is just WONDERFUL! I love croque monsieur, and yours looks just mouthwatering.

12. Shreya 20 July 2008 at 10:30 pm #

Wonderfull.. and a great picture!

13. Katie 21 July 2008 at 3:34 am #

I am not exactly vegetarian at home, but I would like to be. However, my blog is meat-free & I think I am going to keep it vegan from now on.

14. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 21 July 2008 at 7:47 am #

ANTONIO – bechamel is the base of so many wonderful recipes, that it is most probably the first thing any one should learn how to make.

canary girl – yip, not a dainty sandwich, but nevertheless delicious!

shreya – thanks for the visit, I believe your first?

katie – I have only admiration for you. We’ve tried the meat-free diet for a year, mut ended up being miserable. We now keep red meat for special occasions and eat chicken or fish about 3 times a week.

15. Mochachocolata Rita 21 July 2008 at 8:36 am #

oh wow! i loveee croque monsieur! thanks for the recipe! ^_^

16. Rose&Thorn 21 July 2008 at 9:04 am #

This dish sure does raise the bar on the humble “toasted ham and cheese”! With the chill in the air, I know this was a winner.

17. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 21 July 2008 at 9:29 am #

rrita – my pleasure!

rose – humble it is not, that’s for sure.

18. Kevin 22 July 2008 at 4:25 am #

That looks so good with the melted cheese dripping all over!

19. Y 23 July 2008 at 1:38 am #

Ooh look at that oozy cheese ! 🙂

20. Darius T. Williams 28 July 2008 at 8:08 pm #

OMG – now that is SOME ham and cheese sandwich.

21. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 29 July 2008 at 5:28 pm #

kevin – oozing goodness….

y – ditto!!!

darius – a ham and cheese on steroids!!!

22. Jeanne 29 July 2008 at 7:37 pm #

I have loved croque monsieur since the very first time I had it on my family’s first ever trip overseas – Paris in 1983. Since then I’ve had better and worse examples – yours looks among the best!