August 18, 2017

A Winter salad.

Posted on August 4, 2008 by in salads

Someone asked me today: “Do you guys ever eat normal food?” I could hear she was bothered by the tone in her voice and I had to help her out of her misery. “Of course we do…but I refuse to eat an “ugly” plate of food.”
Anyway, be that as it may, I am blessed to be able to cook with wonderful ingredients and always get good responses from you guys. It is uplifting and keeps me going.

Tonight however, with hubby being away, I decided to just take a break……no food styling, no photographs….just me and a simple salad! Well that was the original idea, but then I got carried away and ended with a fantastic salad and I just had to take a photo…see for yourself. Here is how it started.

Winter Salad
I had about 80gr Goat’s cheese
Tuscan mix salad leaves
and a pear
a knob of butter
1Tbsp sugar
a handful of walnuts
2cm piece fresh ginger – peeled and sliced

1. Slice the pear – I kept the skin on
2. Heat a knob of butter and 1 Tbsp brown sugar in a pan
3. Add ginger and pear slices and caramelize, add a few walnuts and coat with caramel – take off the heat.
4. In the meantime slice cheese in 1 cm discs and place under hot grill until golden.
5. Toast 2 slices ciabatta
6. Place leaves on toast, followed by pears and walnuts. Followed by the cheese. Top off with some balsamic glaze. Last but not least, I squeezed a few drops of lemon juice over the salad just to give it a kick. It was a feast! The balance was perfect and you know what…..this time it WOWed me!!!!! I hope you will try it too!

27 Responses to “A Winter salad.”

1. Kevin 4 August 2008 at 11:05 pm #

That salad looks good!

2. [eatingclub] vancouver || js 5 August 2008 at 4:44 am #

That’s funny: define “normal.” I certainly wouldn’t know “normal food” if it came up to me and introduced itself.

3. glamah16 5 August 2008 at 8:02 am #

That woman sounded jealous. Presentation just adds to the experince.You could have just dumbed everything cold on aplate, but you really brought out the flavors and went the extra mile.

4. Christie @ fig & cherry 5 August 2008 at 9:09 am #

How rude! The green eyed monster is not very flattering is it?

Good on you for making food delicious for your tongue and your eyes. If you’re gonna do something, make it beautiful. 🙂

5. Jeanne 5 August 2008 at 3:33 pm #

LOL – "normal food"! I guess I know what she means though. When my non-foodblogger friends read my blog they also wonder if Nick & I ever just have scrambled eggs on toast, or frozen fish & chips, or chops & wors on the braai – and of course the answer is yes, But then I don't take a photo of it. It's a food blog, not Big Brother where everythign has to be under 24-hour surveillance! That said, I do agree that even "simple" meals can be made and presented with care – it all depends on whether you see cooking as a necessary chore or a creative outlet.

*Love* your salad – I'll be making it this autumn when hubby is away and I can do girly meals every night 😉

6. noobcook 5 August 2008 at 5:13 pm #

I am “WOWed” too! This is simple, beautiful and light … yummy

7. That Girl 5 August 2008 at 6:24 pm #

My husband can literally determine what I’m going to get at a restaurant by looking for something containing goat cheese. This looks fantastic.

8. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 5 August 2008 at 6:41 pm #

Normal is all in the way you see it – to you beautiful food is NORMAL – so you eat what is normal for you all the time!

Anyway, I LOVE the looks of that salad! YUM.

9. Emiline 5 August 2008 at 7:37 pm #

This would be my most favorite salad in the whole world! It looks delicious. I don’t blame you for taking pictures. Love that you used ciabatta.

10. Nora B. 5 August 2008 at 11:32 pm #

Hi Nina,

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Your impromptu salad looks and sounds so delicious! And I am so happy to hear read “winter salad” since I am getting so envious of most blogs that keep talking about summer foods.

Grilling goat cheese is something I don’t do often enough, thanks for the reminder.

cheers,
    Nora

11. Dragon 6 August 2008 at 12:16 am #

I agree with you. No one should ever eat ugly food.

12. tastymealsathome.com 6 August 2008 at 12:42 am #

your salad looks beautiful and delicious! 🙂

13. Bridgett 6 August 2008 at 7:17 am #

Now that is a gorgeous and delicious salad!

14. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 6 August 2008 at 9:38 am #

kevin – I enjoyed it too. The different flavors just worked so well together.

eatingclub – normal is just so boring sometimes. If egg on toast is normal…well then I like normal too, ’cause that is my favorite meal!

glamah – I think she was just astonished, but yeah if I could teach people something, it would be that every plate of food should look good.

cristie – I think it is the same reason why I seldom get invited to a meal…they will rather take me out!

jeanne – I think Big Brother is lurking in my kitchen somewhere…I sometimes put myself under such pressure, but that is my character flaw.. I think Nick might actually like the salad.It was so filling and who does not like nuts, cheese and caramelized pears…it makes you forget about the “leaves” that men are so oppose to.

noobcook – I am glad…hope you will try it though.

that girl – that girl, that predictable????

jenndz – I have to admit that for us foodies,”normal” standards are very high!

emiline – yes, the ciabatta takes it from being a salad to being a meal.

nora b – it was my pleasure, Ill be back again, for sure.

dragon – no need too, just a little care goes a long way.

tastymealathome – thanks for stopping by.

bridgette – oh yes, it sure was, thx

15. canarygirl 6 August 2008 at 12:55 pm #

hee! “Normal” food is in the mouth of the beholder. That is an incredible looking salad, Nina! Caramelized pears? My goodness,woman! Yum.

16. nicisme 6 August 2008 at 2:16 pm #

That looks fabulous Nina! No ugly food on this blog for sure!

17. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 6 August 2008 at 3:26 pm #

canary girl – I like that saying….

nicisme – I aim to please!!!!

18. Pam 6 August 2008 at 4:52 pm #

A simple salad? It’s absolutley beautiful – I love everything in it. The pears and nuts look so great next to the creamy goat cheese. Nice job Nina.

19. Lori Lynn 6 August 2008 at 4:58 pm #

Great idea on the lemon juice. I LOVE your platter!

20. Janna 6 August 2008 at 5:40 pm #

I think you are to be admired for never eating from an ugly plate of food. I try to instill that motto in our home too. Even if we are eating pb and j, it still looks nice and balanced on the plate. 🙂

This salad looks and sounds AMAZING!

21. Proud Italian Cook 6 August 2008 at 10:32 pm #

You Wow me everytime Nina, You couldn’t make an ugly dish if you tried!

22. Susan from Food Blogga 6 August 2008 at 11:49 pm #

Isn’t it funny–even when you want to give yourself a night off, you still end up whippin’ out the camera and clickin’. Glad you did though cause that’s one good-looking salad.

23. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 7 August 2008 at 5:15 am #

pam – well, my intention was to make a simple salad….

lori lynn – isn’t it amazing how the most insignificant ingredient just lifts the dish to another level….

janna – last night’s food was not a pretty sight, but let’s just leave it there. Thanks for the flattering comment.

proud italian cook – I can say the same about you, dear!

susan – I suppose it has just become a lifestyle….

24. Anonymous 9 August 2008 at 9:39 am #

Dear mom
    when I first tasted this I knew it will fill my heart
    LOVE CHLOE

25. Rose&Thorn 9 August 2008 at 9:46 am #

Last year I went to a trendy restaurant in Cape Town and ordered this exact salad. It came with 1 grilled tinned pear, sliced into 6 and 10g of Goats cheese and a huge pile of rocket and then they actually charged me R85 for it.
    Yours looks so good I would gladly pay double that!

26. Alisha 10 August 2008 at 6:12 pm #

Hi,

I’m Alisha from Wowzio, and I’m excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership and create more engaged users. I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to also install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your blog

I’m sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it’s not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i’m leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
    Alisha Wright
    alisha.wright1@gmail.com

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Mustard Dressing - My Easy Cooking - July 25, 2017

[…] Let’s face it, winters are for soups and stews and comfort food, not salads! It’s not that I dislike salads in winter. I just prefer a salad with body, like this delicious salad with bacon-wrapped dates and orange or this one with blue cheese and pears. […]