October 20, 2017

Tomatoes filled with more tomatoes

Posted on August 22, 2008 by in vegetarian

Tomato Salad is typically a summer salad so when we, here in the Southern tip of Africa starts craving it, you can know for sure that Spring and Summer are on it’s way. Although our days are getting warmer, the nights are still cold and the body still wants food to warm you up on the inside.
I have fond memories of picking fresh plum tomatoes from my uncles huge vegetable garden. I remember helping my mom and my gran to bottle tomatoes and drinking the juice and pips with salt and pepper.
As you know, my husband and I do our church work in a very challenged community, but what is strange about every single household that we are connected to, is that they have access to running water and virtually every house could have a vegetable garden just like my uncle’s.

The problem is that 90% of them are unemployed and we’re thinking……Imagine if we could empower this community to become self-sufficient and who knows in the end they could even supply some of their homegrown produce to local restaurants in our area. The irony of it all is that this community is called Garden Village. So when I saw these lovely tomatoes, I thought, why not make a warm Italian Bread Salad? You need the freshest ingredients you can find, but the quantities depend on how many people you want to serve.

Ps. My husband has read my post and has given me an equivalent of a $10 donation to start my “crusade” with. If you want to join me in this quest, put $1 in an envelope and send it to me and with this we can afford to buy 1 packet of seed and some compost. If this sounds like a scam to you, rather send us some vegetable seeds and I will update you on your growing investment.
My address is Postnet Suite 5, Howard Centre, Pinelands 7405, South Africa
P.P.S please do not send compost we have more than enough here in Africa.
I appreciate you reading this and look forward to hearing from you.

Stuffed Tomatoes
Fresh tomatoesI made 6
a few slice of ciabatta – cubed
some cocktail tomatoes – use different colors if you can find.
good quality Extra virgin olive oil fresh Thyme or basil
salt and pepper. Imported Italian Mozzarella – (SA now produces it’s own, but I could not get hold of it short notice. Click this link to find out more about “Mozzarella di bufala” that is now made in Cape Town, South Africa

Method

Slice the heads of the tomatoes and keep on the side. Take a teaspoon and remove the flesh from the tomatoes – make sure not to pierce the sides. Keep the tomato flesh for soups or stews. Now, halve the cocktail tomatoes and place in a bowl with cubed ciabatta and torn pieces of the mozzarella. Pour over some EVO and season with salt and pepper. Add some thyme or basil and fill the tomato shells with this mixture. Place th lids back on and bake for about 30 minutes in a moderate oven. This is delicious served with grilled fish or lamb or just on its own as a vegetarian option.

30 Responses to “Tomatoes filled with more tomatoes”

1. Jeanine 22 August 2008 at 2:45 pm #

This looks delicious! The tomatoes are finally starting to ripen in the garden, so I’m happy to see a new tomato recipe. 🙂

2. lisa 22 August 2008 at 5:23 pm #

Delicious! And, best of luck with inspiring homegrown produce in your community!

3. Jeanne 22 August 2008 at 5:40 pm #

Mmm, that tomato looks delicious. I planted my tomatoes really late this year (what with the stupid British “summer” weather) and am now just waiting for the (plentiful) fruit to ripen – the anticipation is killing me!

And good luck with the garden scheme. There is an insprational scheme along those lines running in one of the N2 townships, under the disused power lines. With food prices the way they are, soon it won’t just be disadvantaged communities getting into this!!

4. Anonymous 22 August 2008 at 6:10 pm #

Hallo Guys!

I am well aware of the Garden Village situation and what little has been done there post appartheid. For those who do not know, it is hidden behind what was previously a “white area” and although some work has been done there over the years, the social problems have remained with almost every home fighting “TIK” or as you overseas may know it Crystal meths.
    I hope that the innitiative you are starting grows wings and although I don’t know what the current exchange is, I am foding a R10 note into a page and mailing it to you today. Thank you for reminding me what a stamp looks like!! We have been spoiled by e mail.

A villager!

5. Mike of Mike's Table 22 August 2008 at 6:35 pm #

That stuffed tomato looks delicious and I hope the garden situation works out

6. kat 23 August 2008 at 12:21 am #

Yum bread salad & I love how you served it

7. Nikki Miller-Ka 23 August 2008 at 1:24 am #

I’ll send you some seeds!

8. Jan 23 August 2008 at 2:42 am #

What a great idea!

We have grown a few varieties of heirloom tomatoes for the past couple of years. Unlike the hybrid seeds you buy in the store, the seeds from heirloom tomatoes can be dried and used the following year. We have enjoyed some success this year with seeds from our own seed stock. I will send you some of these when we have dried some.

Good luck with your venture.

9. Pam 23 August 2008 at 7:36 am #

Good for you Nina. I’ll send you my dollar. The tomatoes look wonderful…beautiful presentation once again. Can’t wait to see updates on your garden project.

10. katiez 23 August 2008 at 9:50 pm #

Gorgeous tomato dish! We are soon to move to the heart of French Tomato country … I can’t wait. Mu own garden has been a disaster for 2 years in a row – too much rain…

11. eliza 23 August 2008 at 10:45 pm #

gorgeous looking tomato!
    you're doing God's work in an amazing way, Nina! that's one way to win the people's heart. best of luck for you & your husband!

12. Cynthia 24 August 2008 at 12:21 am #

I’ll send my donation soon.

Imagine the bread soaking up all the tomato juice – so good!

13. That Girl 24 August 2008 at 6:50 am #

tomatoes stuffed in tomatoes? Sounds good to me!

14. Manggy 24 August 2008 at 7:09 am #

Looks delicious, Nina! (Very pleased to know you have locally produced buffalo mozza too.)

I was just wondering, aren’t there customs constraints on sending biologically active materials such as seeds? (Or maybe I was just thinking of the States…)

15. Darius T. Williams 24 August 2008 at 4:18 pm #

Such a great looking salad…and I love ciabatta – love love love!!!

-DTW

16. Lori Lynn 24 August 2008 at 4:42 pm #

Hi Nina – first of all, your tomato photo is beautiful. You really have a knack for presentation.

Second, best of luck with your community work. It sounds like a great idea, and certainly one that can be executed. I look forward to hearing about its success!

17. Bellini Valli 24 August 2008 at 5:13 pm #

This is certainly an innovative way with the tomato. Also good look with your community venture…it all begins with baby steps:D

18. Helene 25 August 2008 at 12:10 am #

I will send you money too. Do you prefer US or Canadian money? Good luck.

19. Proud Italian Cook 25 August 2008 at 7:02 am #

I’m tempted with this tomato photo!

20. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 25 August 2008 at 8:00 am #

jeanine – so easy and yet quite a show stopper at my table. Try it!

lisa – thank you so much!

jeanne – good luck with your tomatoes and thanks for the advice.

anonymous – I am most grateful..

mike – I anticipate problems just to get people off their backsides, but I am motivated.

kat – it make a nice serving doesn’t it!

nikki – thanks, I appreciate.

jan – I cannot wait for heirloom tomato seeds, Yeah!

pam – Thank you, thank you so much.

katiez – I envy your move. My garden is also a mess. Must revamp this year.

eliza – Is that not what we are here on earth for…to be in God’s serve! Thanks so much for your good wishes.

cynthia – I am humbled by all the good people in this world, thank you!

that girl – yip, it’s all good!

manggy – SA is finally catching on to all the good stuff!

darius – who does not like ciabatta?

lori lynn – thanks, I am at the trial and error phase in my photography. I will keep you guys updated.

vali – I have to keep reminding myself about the baby-steps.

helen – thanks Helen, I emailed you this morning!

proud italian girl – When tempted, yield to it!!

kat –

21. Emiline 25 August 2008 at 12:30 pm #

Love it! You had my heart at ciabatta.

22. Nafisa 25 August 2008 at 1:08 pm #

I love your presentation! Simply stunning.

23. Haley 25 August 2008 at 5:14 pm #

We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email haleyglasco@gmail.com if interested. Thanks 🙂

Haley

24. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 25 August 2008 at 5:48 pm #

emiline – It makes a huge difference here. All the “holes” can fill up with tomato juices.

nafisa – thanks for the compliment and the visit.

haley – I have send you an email.

25. nicisme 27 August 2008 at 3:05 pm #

I’d love to send some seeds, are there any in particular that you want/don’t want?

26. Nina Timm 28 August 2008 at 10:00 am #

nicisme – Anything will do. I think the people that I am dealing with here still makes simple food. Potatoes, carrots, cabbages etc….
    I appreciate your generosity.

27. kabonfootprint 28 August 2008 at 11:50 am #

Because of the foodblogs, I was more inspired to try new and different foods, I am learning a lot and also thanks for sharing your ideas because at the same time I am also trying my best to learn how to prepare (decent meals 🙂 Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint

28. glamah16 28 August 2008 at 2:19 pm #

Nina,
    Can you email me? I won a Woolworths SA gift card (500 rands) voting for another SA blogger on a contest. Anyway I dont live there and they dont have an online store. I would like to give your address so you can recieve it instead. Let me know. cococooks[AT]hotmail[DOT]com.Its not what you were asking for but it can put to good use I imagine!

29. Nina Timm 28 August 2008 at 4:35 pm #

kaboonfootprint – thanks for the visit. I appreciate it a lot. Later tonight, when kids are asleep, I will go back to your site and read more…

glamah – I am speechless, I don’t know what to say….Thank you, thank you. I can keep a family fed with that for a week, maybe 2….

30. Anonymous 4 November 2010 at 6:09 am #

I just added your blog site to my blogroll, I pray you would give some thought to doing the same.