March 31, 2017

Spicy Chickpea Stew

Posted on November 14, 2008 by in beef

Print Friendly

Spicy food in the middle of summer??? Well, let me just say that today is he first sunny day all week and the wind is still freezing cold. I saw the recipe for this lovely SPICY TOMATO, AUBERGINE & CHICK PEAS on a fellow South African’s blog, Kitchen Diary and it looked so delicious that I just had to try it .
I tampered with the original recipe, simply because my family is not keen on aubergine or chorizo.
Sin instead of the aubergine I used red, green and yellow peppers, diced and in the place of the chorizo, I used Beef Chipolata. I also added a heaped teaspoon of smoked paprika to the onions when frying them.
My family loved this….it is spicy, a little hot,but so comforting and delicious served on a bed of Basmati rice. Thanks Kitchen diary for helping me out with supper last night!

22 Responses to “Spicy Chickpea Stew”

1. Snooky doodle 14 November 2008 at 10:48 am #

i really think i m gonna try this . i love spicy food and this looks really good

2. Peter M 14 November 2008 at 11:03 am #

Ahh, i’m loving this dish…it’s a bowl of healthy goodness and chickpeas are getting there just attention.

3. Emily 14 November 2008 at 12:01 pm #

I bet this was delicious. I love nutty chickpeas.

4. Maryann 14 November 2008 at 12:26 pm #

I like it too and the photo is nice 😉

5. Nina Timm 14 November 2008 at 1:12 pm #

snooky doodle – it is the most simple heartwarming food I’ve cooked in a while!

peter m – oh yes, they were the stars of the meal!

emily – even my children thought so!

maryann – thx sweetie!

6. Jan 14 November 2008 at 2:42 pm #

A lovely looking dish!
    Can you send a bowl over please? I’m hungry after looking at that picture of yours!

7. Darius T. Williams 14 November 2008 at 4:09 pm #

LOl spicy food has no season! Bring it on!!!

-DTW

8. Fearless Kitchen 14 November 2008 at 5:30 pm #

This looks really delicious. It’s too bad your family doesn’t care for chorizo, but the beef looks delightful too.

9. kat 14 November 2008 at 5:53 pm #

I am so loving all the chickpea recipes around the food blogs lately

10. taste memory 14 November 2008 at 8:28 pm #

so comforting over basmati rice. smoked paprika is one of my favorite spices….imagine what it’s like melded with onions! another lovely dish u made!

11. That Girl 15 November 2008 at 6:29 am #

Take out the meat and this looks like it could be a great vegetarian option too.

12. noble pig 15 November 2008 at 5:28 pm #

This is beautiful and I bet the flavor is just amazing. Wow, inspiring.

13. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 15 November 2008 at 9:08 pm #

I love anything with chickpeas and this dish looks like heaven! I could eat stuff like this every day of my life!

14. Daziano 16 November 2008 at 4:16 pm #

Hi there!!! I love you love chickpeas!!! Some people don’t and I can’t get why! Ann gosh!, chorizo!!!!

15. Bellini Valli 16 November 2008 at 7:52 pm #

Yumm is what I have to say about last nights supper Nina!!

16. Gabriel 17 November 2008 at 1:34 am #

Very nice. I have also a site for recipes for cooking, but you have to translate the Google translate. I am from Slovakia.

17. Dragon 17 November 2008 at 3:37 am #

I’m in love with this dish. Yum!

18. myfrenchkitchen 17 November 2008 at 4:20 pm #

Nina, it is always such a delight for me to come back and have a visit here and indulge in your beautiful and mouthwatering pics! Each one I look at, has me wanting to get up and go an make it, like this chickpea stew! I’ll pop in at Kitchen diary, sounds like wonderful stuff is going on there…
    Ronell

19. Pam 17 November 2008 at 4:51 pm #

Oh Nina, this looks so tasty and comforting. I love chickpeas.

20. Helene 18 November 2008 at 7:58 pm #

This is another great dish with beautiful picture.

I gave you an award on my blog.

21. Proud Italian Cook 19 November 2008 at 4:27 am #

awesome Nina, I could eat a big bowl of this, love chickpeas!

22. Nina Timm 19 November 2008 at 9:04 pm #

jan – one bowl full of goodness coming up!

darius – you are so right!

fearless kitchen – any kind of processed and smoked sausage does not go down well around here!

kat – it is lovely isn’t it!

taste memory – you are a hard one to please so I am flattered!

that girl – I actually preferred mine without the meat.

noble pig – it was delicious yes!

jenndz – no wonder you look so healthy!

daziano – yip, I know, it is so sad!

bellini – yumm, is what I have to say about everything you make !

gabriel – thax for the invite!!!

dragon – so were we!

myfrenchkitchen – Ronelle, I am so glad you stopped by, I’ve missed you!

pam – comforting is a good description!

helene- thanks for the award, I posted it today!

proud italian cook – thx Marie!