October 20, 2017

Chicken Liver Pate

Posted on December 1, 2008 by in Chicken

PhotobucketChicken Livers….you either love it or you don’t. Some people, like me, would sneak into the kitchen at night and eat the Chicken Liver Pate in spoonfuls from the fridge and others are appalled by the idea of eating offal. I suggest you give this recipe a try and then make up your mind.

The pate is smooth, velvety and so delicious! I paired my pate with fried sage and cherries and got quite a reaction from my guests, but you can try it with crackers, rustic bread…just whatever you feel like!

Chicken Liver Pate

500gr chicken livers – fresh or frozen (if using frozen, then thaw it first)
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic – chopped
fresh thyme of oregano
125ml cream
1 Tbs brandy
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and black pepper
olive oil
2 Tbsp clarified butter

Fry the onion and garlic in some olive oil in a pan until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the chicken livers and herbs and cook until the liver is still pinkish, but not raw anymore. Add the contents of the pan to a blender and blend until it has a smooth and silky consistency. While the machine is running add the cream, brandy and lemon juice. Taste and add salt and black pepper to taste.
Spoon the liver pate into two small dishes and top with the melted butter. Wait until the pate has cooled down, cover and refrigerate until needed!
Photobucket

21 Responses to “Chicken Liver Pate”

1. Sylvie 1 December 2008 at 2:05 pm #

I don’t like offal, but do love liver pate. I know it doesn’t make sense, but it’s the way it is and believe me I have tried to eat fried liver with onions and also kidneys on more than one occasion, but never liked either. I’ve never made my own pate though, it looks wonderful!

2. Bellini Valli 1 December 2008 at 3:16 pm #

Very festive and a great way to start the season off right!!

3. That Girl 1 December 2008 at 7:04 pm #

I love chopped liver, and pate is just a smoother version, right?

4. Lori Lynn 1 December 2008 at 7:28 pm #

Hi Nina – you and me both. Love liver. I just did a post on liver gravy and used fried sage leaves too. Love your idea of paring the cherries.

5. linda 1 December 2008 at 10:52 pm #

I don’t like offal at all but chicken liver pate is sooo good (as are other pate’s for that matter)!
    Made it a few times and everybody always loves it. I serve it with confit d’oignon but I love your approach with cherries a lot!

6. Pam 2 December 2008 at 12:09 am #

I am not a fan of liver pate but my parents LOVE it. I will pass this recipe on to my Mom. Great photos Nina.

7. Lorraine E 2 December 2008 at 12:40 am #

Great idea to do these kinds of recipes before Christmas-time! And I love your styling of it, it looks so colourful and welcoming! 🙂

8. Varsha Vipins 2 December 2008 at 5:26 am #

hi Nina,I love chicken liver ..slurpp..loved this recipe dear..:)

9. white on rice couple 2 December 2008 at 9:56 am #

I’m on the side that LOVES chicken liver! This amazing pate is so smooth!
    I can’t get enough of pate and had to slow down in making it because I eat too much of it!

10. Manggy 2 December 2008 at 10:29 am #

Actually I’m not a huge chicken liver fan but there’s something about making it a pate that totally transforms it into something lovely!! 🙂

11. Nina Timm 2 December 2008 at 3:06 pm #

sylvie – you’ll love this once you’re tried it!!!

val – the season came to fast if you ask me!!

that girl – way smoother!!Have you tried chicken liver pasta?

lori lynn – oh my gosh, that gravy is out of this world!

linda – most people who feel that way are horrified when you tell them what they are eating after they have just about cleared the liver pate bowl!

pam – Oh, your mom is going to love this one!!!

lorraine E – thx, welcome to my site!!!

varsha – oooo, it is yummee!!!

white on rice couple – it is rather addictive, I must say!

manggy – you word it well, but it is exactly like that!

12. myfrenchkitchen 2 December 2008 at 3:21 pm #

I hope when I come to the Cape again(maybe next year), I can call you and we can cook together…your food always looks delicious!
    Ronell

13. Nina Timm 2 December 2008 at 4:42 pm #

my french kitchen – that will be an honor!!!!

14. glamah16 3 December 2008 at 9:25 pm #

LOVE IT! I make my own version of chopped liver with duch fat and drizzle it with white truffle oil. Only my female friends and family crave it. Guess we are iron deficent or something.

15. Zen Chef 5 December 2008 at 5:29 am #

Wow, there’s something so satisfying about these pictures. You’re making me hungry. Save me a little, i’m inviting myself over to your house. 🙂

16. gaga 7 December 2008 at 3:59 am #

Yum, this looks wonderful. I love pate and don’t get to eat it nearly enough. Thanks for sharing this!

17. Nina Timm 12 December 2008 at 7:05 am #

glamah – stop, please stop, you’re making my humble chicken liver pate look awfully pale!

zen chef – I’ll air out the pillows and put some fresh flowers in the vases…what flight are you on?

gaba – now you have no more excuses, make some today!

18. Jeanne 23 November 2009 at 3:06 pm #

Oh, even when I refused as a child to allow liver to pass my lips, I always ate chicken liver pate 🙂 Yours looks gorgeous – and I do love the panfried sage!

19. Anonymous 17 November 2010 at 4:13 pm #

"Super-Duper site! I am loving it!. Will arrive again once more – using you feeds also, Thank you."

——————————————–
    my website is

Also welcome you!

20. Ruby Dee 30 January 2015 at 3:31 pm #

I love chicken liver pate and make it often. Looks good. I think I’ll add this to my Superbowl Sunday menu.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Cherry and Almond Mini Pound Cakes - My Easy Cooking - August 27, 2014

[…] only belongs in a sweet dish, think again my friend! Cherries pair beautifully with my oh-so-smooth chicken liver pate and this Pork fillet with cauliflower puree and cherry compote should send you right over the edge, […]