November 20, 2017

Paella on a budget!

Posted on December 10, 2008 by in beef

If you have a swimming pool, you will always have friends and children in your home who do not normally live there. Please do not think that I am complaining…I love it, in fact I would much rather have other children playing here than my children going somewhere else…you know the mother-hen syndrome! This does however mean that unexpected quests will always arrive and I have this urge to always want to feed people which is a good thing right??? Well, to be honest it can put strain on any budget and therefor I am trying to think of clever ways to stretch my food budget without having to cut down on entertaining.

So why not invite friends over for a swim, a game of cards or watch a ball came and make this easy budget friendly paella. If you want to add more ingredients like chicken, fish or shellfish go ahead there is nothing stopping you! I kept it simple and used just what I had available!

Paella on a budget

500gr good quality sausage – cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces.
500ml raw rice
1 cup white wine
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 yellow pepper – sliced
1 red pepper – sliced
1 onion – sliced
2 cloves garlic -crushed
250gr cocktail tomatoes
125ml frozen peas
125ml frozen corn
salt/pepper
squeeze of a lemon
1.25liters vegetable stock – use about 4 cups at first and add the rest as needed.
fresh parsley – chopped
1 chopped chili – optional

Heat a little oil in a deep skillet or wok and cook the sausage until nicely browned. Keep aside. Use the oil that has rendered from the sausage and brown the onion and garlic. Add the peppers and fry for about 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir until all the rice grains are covered in oil. Now add the wine and stock, cover the wok or skillet with foil or a lid and cook until rice is soft. If the water evaporates before the rice is ready, add more stock. When the rice is ready add the peas, corn, tomatoes and sausage pieces and cover for just another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley and a squirt of lemon juice and serve a little hand bowls around the pool.

13 Responses to “Paella on a budget!”

1. Snooky doodle 11 December 2008 at 8:49 am #

THIS LOOKS SO YUMMY. I LOVE PAELLA . EVEN ON A BUDGET IT LOOKS GREAT 🙂

2. Bellini Valli 11 December 2008 at 11:13 am #

Keeping it simple while entertaining over the holidays makes it all that much more enjoyable. Even the food might be a highlight it is the gathering of friends and family that make the occasion special>

3. glamah16 11 December 2008 at 3:50 pm #

Those kids are eating well. Love this dish.

4. Pam 11 December 2008 at 8:11 pm #

Yum. I’ve only had paella once and I loved it. I thought it would be really hard to make but this recipe doesn’t seem too hard.

I am with you – I would much rather have my kids and their friends play here than in someone elses home.

5. That Girl 11 December 2008 at 9:18 pm #

paella is one of my favorite foods, especially when it doesn’t have seafood in it!

6. Maryann 11 December 2008 at 10:44 pm #

It seems so strange reading about pool parties with an ice storm going on here. But that paella is something that I would love right now!

7. Ben 12 December 2008 at 2:01 am #

I love the concept, the recipe and the picture! So delicious, can I come to your house for a swim and some of your food? :-p

8. Emily 12 December 2008 at 1:15 pm #

Beautiful paella! Beautiful pictures!

9. Mary 12 December 2008 at 8:12 pm #

Nina, your beautiful paella is only fitting for such a gorgeous blog. Thanks for sharing your recipes and tips. Lots here to make holiday entertaining easier.

10. Jeanne 19 December 2008 at 1:09 pm #

OK, am I dreamign here or is that boerewors in your paella?? LOL! Fusion food! I adore paella as it’s such an easy and delicious way to feed loads of people. Stop talkign abotu swimming pools and summer – you are making me envious 😉

11. Kevin 30 December 2008 at 5:45 am #

I have been wanting to try paella for a while and this one looks good.

12. Henry 24 February 2014 at 6:04 pm #

When do I add the paprika?

• nerinatimm 24 February 2014 at 8:22 pm #

Sorry, you add it when you fry the onion!