May 27, 2017

Homemade Cheese

Posted on January 20, 2009 by in cheese

Print Friendly

Making my own cheese? No, never!!! Well that is what I would have said…. last year, but as this is the year of new beginnings for so many people, I decided to step out of my comfort zone a little and try new and exciting things, like making my own cheese.
I have tried it once before and it was not too bad. This time I got the recipe from a local magazine, Food and Home and I was inspired to try and make my own Panneer.

How to make your own Paneer?

2 liter full cream milk
90ml fresh lemon juice
a pinch of salt

Pour milk in a sauce pan and heat gently. Add lemon juice and bring the milk up to the boil. The milk will coagulate as the curd seperates from the whey.( if you are making a herb cheese, now add the herbs of choice) Remove from the heat and pour the milk through a mouseline cloth. Tie the cloth at the corners and place in a strainer and leave to drain overnight in the fridge. The next day, you can remove the cloth and serve.
For herb cheese, add pepper and 100g fresh herbs, chopped.
For olive cheese, add 100gr pitted and chopped black olives.

I served my paneer for breakfast with some grilled peaches.

Photobucket

Tonight, I watched with millions of people around the world how Barack Obama was inaugurated as the 44th( and first black) president of the United States of America. I was touched by his humble spirit and my heart was filled with hope not only for America, but but for every nation around the world that is influenced by the USA in some or other form. The amazing thing is, that I am not even an American, but I know if the leading nation in the world is OK, we will all be OK!

Tags: , ,

28 Responses to “Homemade Cheese”

1. Sara 20 January 2009 at 10:09 pm #

You know, I’ve never made my own cheese, but I’ve always wanted to try. This looks delicious!

2. Snooky doodle 20 January 2009 at 10:30 pm #

wow this is amazing. I ve never tried making a cheese.

3. elly 21 January 2009 at 2:06 am #

Making your own cheese is always SO impressive to me. Congrats on this success, it looks great!

4. Helene 21 January 2009 at 3:17 am #

I never made cheese but you did a wonderful job. Even in Canada we’re celebrating Obama.

5. kat 21 January 2009 at 5:14 am #

It was a very exciting day for us in the States. We’re making our own mozzarella this week, I’m excited to try our own homemade cheese

6. Zen Chef 21 January 2009 at 5:46 am #

Congratulations on making your own cheese. Love that picture of the peaches. Yum!
    And yes, today was an inspiring day for America and for the world.

7. Rose&Thorn 21 January 2009 at 10:09 am #

Like you I am inspired to step out, actually make that leap out, of my comfort zone this year and cheese is on my list to try very soon. Well done, yours look lovely.

8. Anonymous 21 January 2009 at 10:56 am #

I had a business meeting and as I have been ill, I asked the person to make it a breakfast at our house. We were the recipients of this wonderful Peach and Paneer exercise and I am glad to advise that we have a new person responsible for Sales and Marketing because of that meeting! What a fantastic wife!THE husband

9. Marianna 21 January 2009 at 3:10 pm #

this is lovely and i love how you enjoyed it in a fruity way. i will have to give it a try one of these days! i think there is SO much satisfaction out of making your own cheese…!!

10. glamah16 21 January 2009 at 3:27 pm #

It was all so amzing. Cheesmaking can be fun and so rewarding. And I love Paneer.

11. Abigail 21 January 2009 at 3:34 pm #

This looks SO yummy, Nina.

And like you, I have been really touched by Obama’s humility. I mean PRESIDENT Obama (now)! Yea!

12. Ben 21 January 2009 at 3:46 pm #

Making my own cheese is on my to do list for this year. Hopefully I’ll get to it soon. And I agree, there is hope in the air. 🙂

13. taste memory 21 January 2009 at 4:27 pm #

You never cease to impress 😉

I love grilled peaches, I especially love the essence of biting into them!

Happy New Year Nina!

14. Maryann 21 January 2009 at 4:29 pm #

You could make a shoe look delicious LOL

15. Pam 21 January 2009 at 7:33 pm #

I have never made my own cheese. You are so talented Nina.

Yesterday was an amazing day. I am very hopeful about the future – I have faith that he’s going to be a GREAT president!

16. That Girl 21 January 2009 at 8:57 pm #

Making ricotta is on my list of things to try this year! It has the same ingredients. I bet a lot of cheeses do.

17. Jessy and her dog Winnie 21 January 2009 at 11:51 pm #

That is such a cool idea!

18. Siri 22 January 2009 at 6:37 pm #

Maybe this will finally push me to try my hand at paneer. It looks soo good on those peaches. I used to work in a cheese shop in Minneapolis, Minnesota, but have never tried to make my own. Doesn’t look too hard, either! Great idea.

19. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 22 January 2009 at 9:48 pm #

Yummy that looks so good with peaches! Drool. Drool.

20. My Carolina Kitchen 23 January 2009 at 8:21 pm #

I too have never made my own cheese. You just happened to put it on one of the best foods in the world……….peaches. Yummy.

21. Lori Lynn 24 January 2009 at 7:48 am #

My friend is making paneer and proud of the new venture. I am going to send him your recipe with peaches, I am sure it will be well received. Cool photo of the paneer in cheesecloth!
    LL

22. Kevin 24 January 2009 at 7:14 pm #

Making my own paneer is on my to try list. I like the sound of serving it on grilled peaches.

23. thumbbook 25 January 2009 at 6:48 pm #

Great blog and recipes! I would like to introduce you to Foodista.com – the cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit – and invite you to link your blog to foodista-related pages using our small embeddable widgets. Check it out here.. This is a good way for you to build traffic and connect with other food lovers! Also feel free to share your recipes and tips with us!Thanks!

24. Cynthia 26 January 2009 at 5:08 am #

Darling! My apologies for not visiting recently.

Hope your holidays were a great celebration. Happy New Year to you and the family.

The first time I made paneer, like you, I could not believe that I had made my own cheese (lol)

25. Jeanne 26 January 2009 at 4:49 pm #

A friend gave me a similar recipe recently to make a thickened yoghurt as the basis for a delicious Indian dessert – I really must give it a try! Those peaches look too divine…

26. MorenaTejana 6 February 2009 at 5:43 am #

He is the first BIRACIAL, not Black, president. If you consider him to be Black, then you might as well call him White. Either way, you’re ignoring 50% of his genetic makeup and half of his family and ancestors.

On another note, thank you for the instructions on how to make paneer. I was so excited to see that.

27. Nina Timm 6 February 2009 at 1:15 pm #

morena tejana – I suppose my comment is as ignorant as people’s who believe that the whole of “Africa” is wild. My sincere apologies if I have offended anybody….I should have done my homework properly.

28. mycookinghut 14 February 2009 at 8:53 pm #

I have never tried making cheese.. thanks for sharing!