July 18, 2018

Love- your- heart- this- Valentine’s Day!

Posted on February 13, 2009 by in desserts

Today, 14th February is Valentine’s day and people from all walks of life will for one day at least, “spread the love”. Delicious recipes in red and white have adorned my computer screen for the past week and many a post has been written on this topic. My favorite is that of Culinary Concoctions by Peabody – this is how I understand love !!!
I too, have racked my brain to come up with a decadent and delicious recipe to post and a dessert was the obvious choice!. My hero when it comes to making desserts is without a doubt, James Martin and I have even attended one of his workshops. My dessert of choice was therefor one of his recipes and I was intrigued by the fact that it had only 3 ingredients……..
Lemon Posset with Berries and Shortbread

For the lemon Posset ( I got 5 small servings- slightly bigger than a shot glass)

500ml double cream
125ml caster sugar
zest and juice of a lemon

Place cream and sugar in a pot and slowly bring to the boil and boil for 3 minutes and allow to cool slightly. Add the zest and juice and stir well. Pour into small glasses and chill for a couple of hours. Decorate with fresh berries and little shortbread hearts. For the shortbread recipes, click here! Normally I would stop here, but please do not stop reading…you are about to become a witness to a life changing moment for me!!!!

Hello, My name is Nina Timm and I have decided to GO RED!!!!

MY husband met a lady, Adeliah Jacobs on the plane recently and he has not stopped nagging me to get on to the Heart Foundation website and investigate going RED.
You have seen my recipes and enjoyed my photos, but I have to change from super-creamy to lean and dreamy…you catch my drift???? I have to start thinking low-fat, low-sugar and low-sodium, but still find a place in all of this to be creative and not loose the taste and the flavor.

After polishing this dessert last night, I felt really rather out of sorts, even though it is a fantastic recipe that everyone should try at least once in their lives. I knew this was too much of a good thing and I will have to give my health some serious consideration. I went onto the Heart Foundation’s siteand decided to look for some guidance there. I found this quiz and sadly, I had far more “yes” than “no” answers. Read these questions carefully and make a decision today as to how you will live from now on.

1. Do you smoke?
  2. Are you overweight?
  3. Do you exercise less than 3 x 30 minutes per week?
  4. Do you have a high cholesterol reading (over 5)?
  5. Do you suffer from high blood pressure?
  6. Do you have a family history of heart disease or stroke?
  7. Do you have a family history of diabetes?
  8. Does stress seem to overwhelm you?
  9. Do you eat takeaway foods at least once a week?
  10. Is your diet high in animal fats?
  11. Do you eat the fat on meat and chicken skin?
  12. Do you usually eat fried foods?
  13. Do you eat less than 5 portions of fruit and vegetable a day?
  14. Does your dinner plate usually consist of meat and potatoes?

Did you answer yes to most of these questions? The more risk factors you have the greater your chance of heart disease. Why not make some small changes today?
The heart Foundation has a site dedicated to women and this site, Go Red for Women, is very informative and I encourage you to read as much as you can. For me this is so overwhelming, but my dear sister sent me this link to Beliefnet just to ease the pain. So, I will do it in baby steps and will need all the encouragement I can get, but I have to Love my heart and make the right choices from now on. My first encouragement came from Hubby himself,who sent me this card this morning. My goals for this coming week:

1. Eat breakfast – I don’t and I know this is SOOOO wrong!
2. Omit all bad sugars from my diet.
3. Do some form of exercise every day!

Hold thumbs!
Below I have put in my first healthier recipe.Stay tuned for many healthy recipes to follow.!

22 Responses to “Love- your- heart- this- Valentine’s Day!”

1. Sophie 13 February 2009 at 12:11 pm #

This lemon posset looks incredible, yum yum:)!!

2. Jan 13 February 2009 at 1:28 pm #

Loving the look of the lemon posset!

3. Passionate About Baking 13 February 2009 at 1:43 pm #

That is an absolutely gorgeous dessert…gotta check your dessert hero out! YAY for you Nina, that you've gonr RED!! Good choice…& signs of good times to come! xoxo

4. Sylvie 13 February 2009 at 4:56 pm #

What a great Valentine’s dessert or indeed any occassion dessert. Good luck with achieving your goals for the week.

5. Elra 13 February 2009 at 5:38 pm #

What a beautiful and delicious treat for Valentine.
    Cheers,
    Elra

6. Ben 13 February 2009 at 5:42 pm #

Amazing dessert! And your goals are great, just remember that everything with moderation is better. That’s what my grandfather used to say and he lived to be 90! He! Good luck and keep us posted on how you do 🙂

7. Food For Tots 13 February 2009 at 6:33 pm #

Great health leads to great wealth! A good start! Your photos are excellent! Btw tks for visiting my blog. 😉

8. Pam 13 February 2009 at 6:36 pm #

I really need to eat more fruits and veggies and I definitely need to exercise more.

Your dessert is beautiful! It makes me swoon – literally.

9. Mike of Mike's Table 13 February 2009 at 9:17 pm #

I’d never heard of posset before but it looks great

10. Sara 14 February 2009 at 4:09 am #

These are just beautiful, I really love lemon desserts.

11. Anonymous 14 February 2009 at 6:03 am #

To my Nina…
    I’m sitting here early in the morning reading comments with coffie just like you like it…black and bitter. For a change its you sleeping but you deserve it is Valentines Day.For some or other reason I just read your post again and the screen has got fuzzy and the keyboard wet and because it is so early I couldn’t work out that for the first time a post about (amoungst other things )food has made me burst into tears.You have always been my hero…when we feel things are tough we should just put up our hand because the other will be there to catch it. I love you miss B. Will you be my Valentine!me

12. mikky 14 February 2009 at 8:02 am #

WOW!!! looks great!!! happy valentine’s day!!! 🙂

13. My Carolina Kitchen 14 February 2009 at 2:49 pm #

Nina, your Valentine dessert is perfect and I love the little shortbread hearts.
    I’ve never heard of going Red until now…….what a fabulous idea. I’ve been Green for some time, carrying my French market basket and canvas totes to the store to avoid plastic bags, but this is a wonderful idea. Sometimes husbands know best, but don’t let that word get out too fast. I’ll be looking forward to more Red posts.

14. Trixi 14 February 2009 at 3:36 pm #

Looks devine as always. All the very best with Going Red. Reading those questions…I have 6 no’s only! Rather scary and time for a wake-up call. Let’s work on those low fat dishes.

15. mycookinghut 14 February 2009 at 7:35 pm #

Hi Nina,
    Thanks for visiting my blog! You have got some great recipes on yours! I am going to be your frequent visitor 🙂

16. Kathleen 15 February 2009 at 1:52 am #

I’m with you on the get healthy.
    Right on I say.

Now these are the kind of shots I could handle!

love the colors.

17. Helene 15 February 2009 at 3:13 am #

Great post & beautiful dessert.

18. Bellini Valli 15 February 2009 at 3:55 pm #

Once again good for you for taking the ininiative. Healthy is far from being tasteless and boring. I need to follow a healthier diet myself Nina. Let’s go on this journey together:D

19. Kevin 15 February 2009 at 4:26 pm #

Lemon posset sounds really good!

20. Jeanne 17 February 2009 at 12:59 am #

Every summer I promise myself I’ll make lemon posset – this year I REALLY will get round to it! And well done you for going red 🙂 It’s a great initiative.

21. Tartelette 17 February 2009 at 7:47 am #

I am just thrilled and at peace within knowing that I am spending it with B. We never do anything and refuse to spend money “because it is V-day”. He plays me a song and I bake him dessert and that makes us happy. Now what would make me really happy way passed V-Day is this lemon posset! Lovely!

22. Abigail 20 February 2009 at 3:34 am #