August 2, 2014

Is liver good for you?

Posted on May 11, 2009 by in Chicken

Print Friendly

Liver is one of those things that you either love eating or hate eating!!! I love it! Even as a child, I loved it, served with mash and peas! Liver is sometimes used in the prevention and treatment of a variety of nutrient deficiency illnesses. because it is a highly concentrated source of quality proteins, vitamins and minerals.
Sadly, liver is also a concentrated source of cholesterol so one must keep a balance between the nutritional benefits and drawbacks of liver when planning to incorporate this in your meals!
Liver is sometimes used as part of the treatment for pernicious anemia. It is a rich source of heme iron (the organic iron in animal foods).

Liver is also surprisingly low in calories, so all things taken into consideration, liver is good for you in moderation, of course!!!
Luckily we do not have a cholesterol problem in this family! However, my husband is working very long hours at the moment and his stress levels are extremely high, with the result that he is constantly tired even though he eats regular healthy snacks etc!! I felt it is time for a “liver meal” to boost the vitamin A and B12 levels a bit!! Although my husband loves chicken liver pasta, I did not think it was the ideal meal for this purpose!!! I decided on a warm salad so that I can also incorporate the essential “greens” such as spinach, lettuce and rocket!!!

When cooking liver(in this case, chicken liver) remember the following:

-Liver is extremely perishable, so eat it soon after you have purchased it – no longer than 2 days
-Livers can be frozen for up to 3 months
-Cook it quickly so that the liver does not dry out.
-Pork liver should be cooked until no longer pink to make sure that the cooking has killed all bad organisms!
-All other livers can be enjoyed pink, if so preferred!

Photobucket

Warm chicken-liver (2 portions or one Big-man portion)

250gr chicken livers
olive oil
salt and pepper
balsamic vinegar
chopped chili – optional
15-20 gooseberries
10 cocktail tomatoes
4 baby potatoes cooked
greens such as baby spinach, butter lettuce, rocket
2 red onion – 1 sliced and 1 quartered

Dressing – adjust to your own taste

2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1-2 tsp brown sugar
1 spring onion chopped
1 tbsp – sunflower seeds – toasted
1 tbsp – sesame seeds – toasted
salt and pepper to taste

Method

Heat a skillet and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the seasoned chicken livers and the 1 quartered red onion. Cook the livers on both sides and to your preference. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar just before you remove the lovers from the pan. Let the livers rest while you make the salad.
Wash and dry the salad leaves and place on a plate. Halve the tomatoes and the potatoes and add to the salad. Add the chopped chili and sliced red onion and then arrange the chicken livers on top. Add the gooseberries last! Mix all the ingredients for the salad dressing and pour over the salad just before serving!!!

Ps – My husband LOVED this salad! The gooseberries where a wonderful addition to this salad as it cuts through the richness of the livers!!

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “Is liver good for you?”

1. My Carolina Kitchen 11 May 2009 at 11:37 am #

We are a liver loving family although I wouldn’t touch them as a child. Your idea of serving them in a salad is a terrific one and we’ll definitely be giving this recipe a try. No gooseberries in our supermarket but I won’t let that stop me. Thanks for this healthy recipe.

2. Terry & Dennis Macri 11 May 2009 at 1:33 pm #

When I was younger, my mother would force me to eat liver, as an adult…I really like it. I miss my mothers liver and can never cook it just the way she did.

This is a great idea to put it on a salad.

3. Jeanne 11 May 2009 at 3:36 pm #

I never used to like liver (except in my mom's chicken liver paté!), but when in my mid-20s, the creamy liver, bacon & onions served on baked potatoes at the Blinking Owl in PE got me hooked! Now I LOVE chicken liver in pasta sauces or spicy in a salad. Yum!!

4. Pam 11 May 2009 at 4:33 pm #

I had to eat liver as a child and I know it’s really good for you but the flavor isn’t my favorite. Only you could make something I don’t like look so delicious Nina.

5. Junglefrog 11 May 2009 at 10:37 pm #

I love liver, but I somehow rarely eat it… Don’t know why really.. This is just a very interesting combination of flavours that I would love to try out!

6. Elra 11 May 2009 at 11:59 pm #

Chicken liver, absolutely love it. Yours look delicious!

7. That Girl 12 May 2009 at 7:19 am #

I always think I like chicken liver, I want to like chicken liver, and yet for some reason I don’t like chicken liver – unless it’s chopped chicken liver!!

8. jann 13 May 2009 at 1:54 am #

I love to eat liver~ this recipes gives liver a great boost…..hope others will want to try this after seeing your great photo and how delicious liver can be!

9. Maryann 13 May 2009 at 2:52 am #

Hi Nina! I was wondering when someone would get up the guts (haha) to do a liver post. Your pics are beautiful! My mom always soaks liver in milk before cooking. It makes it taste milder.
    xox

10. Helene 13 May 2009 at 6:14 am #

I will eat liver if someone is cooking it for me. I love it my onions & mashed potatoes. But for summer you salad is much better. Beautiful pic.

11. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 13 May 2009 at 8:56 pm #

Looks good Nina! Although I think right now, I’ll just admire how nice it looks rather than stick a fork in it! ;)

12. Emily 14 May 2009 at 11:57 am #

I’ve never had chicken livers, but I bet this would be good!

13. Darius T. Williams 14 May 2009 at 2:11 pm #

The photo is fantastic (as are all your photos), although I’m not putting liver near these lips – lol.

14. Lori Lynn 15 May 2009 at 12:10 am #

That is a mighty tasty looking salad Nina. I adore liver, but due to the cholesterol, I am restricting myself to only eating it in fancy restaurants (so that cuts it down a lot). I would make an exception for your salad there though for sure!
    LL

15. Juno 15 May 2009 at 10:34 am #

Looks absolutely delicious. And I really dig your enamel salad bowl! Thanks for your visit to my blog Nina. Your comments always make my day.

16. african vanielje 15 May 2009 at 2:28 pm #

Your salad looks great Nina. My husband woudl probabely love that too. Love the pics, especially the close up

17. Anonymous 13 January 2010 at 5:00 am #

I eat liver because it has a plus 9 liverforce rating and I love drinking whiskey!!!!

18. Anonymous 9 November 2010 at 8:43 pm #

foadsaem http://adultdating-x.com adult dating , mubufJfsi

19. Anonymous 21 September 2011 at 12:33 am #

i live in australia and i eat chicken liver, duck liver, goat liver and lamb liver. i cook with lot of garlic, chillie ,onion and some soy souce and curry powder and it taste yum with rice….i love it.