December 13, 2017

Tomatoes – Stuff ’em!!!!

Posted on June 11, 2009 by in vegetarian

I love tomatoes – raw, cooked, sliced, chopped, pureed, sauteed, or any other way….I just adore them. Sadly though, tomatoes are very often the “supporting act” in a recipe and the focus is on the meat or fish that it is served with. Yesterday I felt like tomatoes and anchovies and ciabatta and……..but mostly tomatoes!!!! So here is what I came up with!!!

Stuffed Tomatoes

Ingredients ( I will just list them, you adapt the quantities according to your servings)

tomatoes
ciabatta bread – can be day old
baby tomatoes – different colors of you have.
anchovies
onion – finely chopped
olive oil
thyme
mozzarella cheese – grated

Method

Preheat oven to 180C
Cut the top off the tomatoes and remove all the flesh inside with a spoon. Cut the baby tomatoes and ciabatta in small cubes. and place in a bowl. Add some chopped onion( I used 1 tbsp for 2 tomatoes), chopped anchovies and thyme. Drizzle with the olive oil and mix. Stuff the tomatoes to the top and bake in a oven for about 30-40 minutes. Take out the oven, top with some grated mozzarella and pop back in the oven for another 5 minutes.

Serve this with more fresh ciabatta or a dollop of mash like I did!!! Trust me, this takes the humble old tomato to a totally new level . Try it!!!

What is your favorite tomato recipe- tell us or post about it, you can even share a recipe or two!!!

(ps. My photos is horrible, but the natural light during winter is just not photography friendly!)

23 Responses to “Tomatoes – Stuff ’em!!!!”

1. My Carolina Kitchen 11 June 2009 at 1:27 pm #

I love the stuffed tomatoes with more tomatoes and anchovies. Yours is very similiar to what our family calls Tomatoes Provencal, which is a stand-by with us.

Years ago stuffed tomatoes were on the menu at Tea Rooms throughout the southern US, where ladies lunched. Sometimes they were stuffed with creamed spinach, which was one of my favorites.

I'm so glad you brought back these wonderful tomatoes to the foreground. And what is this about your photo not good — your photos are always great and your rejections would be better than anything I'm ever able to do.

2. Nina Timm 11 June 2009 at 2:04 pm #

Oy, Sam you sure do know how to make me feel good!!! I grew up in a little town so I read about tearooms in novels, but I have not been in one as a child. I can tell you though, that this tomato was so out-of-this world…and it just goes to show that when we cook with our intuition and let our taste buds lead us, the result will always be spectacular!!!

3. Sophie 11 June 2009 at 2:35 pm #

MMMM..Nina! those stuffed tomatoes look so invitingly delicious: simple yet so yummie!!!

4. mycookinghut 11 June 2009 at 2:44 pm #

Stuffed tomamtoes are great! Thing is that, over here, tomatoes are not sweet and not riped enough before they are harvested!

5. Elra 11 June 2009 at 5:54 pm #

HMMMM, delicious! I love stuffed anything. And in summer, it's so perfect to make this stuffed tomato.

6. mikky 11 June 2009 at 7:25 pm #

looks so inviting… 🙂

7. That Girl 12 June 2009 at 3:11 am #

I love tomatoes too – and they're just now in season!

8. elly 12 June 2009 at 3:36 am #

I love tomatoes, too! These look delicious with that ooey gooey cheese & bread. Mmm.

9. Helene 12 June 2009 at 4:00 am #

I love stuffed food. Looks delicious.

10. Cynthia 12 June 2009 at 6:46 am #

Hey Hon, Hope you are fine. Sorry for not visiting lately. Was tied up getting some stuff streamlined and organized.

Looking forward to seeing your new place.

11. Jan 12 June 2009 at 6:50 am #

I now want to eat those at 5.50AM LOL
    Those stuffed tomatoes look deee-lsh!

12. Nina Timm 12 June 2009 at 4:39 pm #

sophie – that is the whole point, that something so simple can be so delicious!!!

mycookinghut – I know it is terrible, why not plant your own?

elra – stuffed zucchinis, brinjals, trout(I saw your post), yum!!!

mikky – most inviting!!

that girl – so nothing is stopping you then!!!

elly – bread, cheese, tomato…always a winner!!

helene – thx, I like your bunt cake, somehow my comment would not save??

cynthia – Hi sweet friend, what's happening with the book!

jan – I could easily!!!

13. Joce {Foodie Finder} 12 June 2009 at 5:34 pm #

Love your food photography! You truly captured the essence of the dish. I'm not much of a tomatoes person, but this recipe is a must-do.

Thanks again for dropping by our site and leaving wonderful comments.

14. Lori Lynn 12 June 2009 at 6:17 pm #

First of all, your photo is not horrible, they look absolutely delicious!

So glad to see the tomato as the star of the show.
    LL

15. Juno 12 June 2009 at 8:54 pm #

Oh, my, this looks so good. Your recipe includes the ingredients I love most, and I am going to make this for a Sunday breakfast this weekend. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog, Nina.

16. eliza 13 June 2009 at 6:31 am #

what a delicious tomatoes! how are you Nina, hope everything is alright with you, it's been a long time since I've blogwalked…

17. Junglefrog 13 June 2009 at 4:09 pm #

I too love tomatoes. We eat it as our main 'vegetable' quite often and this is a perfect example of something I am gonna bookmark to keep for future use. It looks delicious!

18. Kevin 15 June 2009 at 5:56 pm #

Those tomatoes look nice and ooey gooey and good!

19. Pam 15 June 2009 at 7:08 pm #

This is my kind of recipe Nina…absolutely fantastic. Another great photo too.

20. tastymealsathome 16 June 2009 at 5:25 pm #

gooey goodness!

21. Dragon 17 June 2009 at 5:00 am #

I just adore tomatoes too. These stuffed ones look amazing!

22. Peter M 18 June 2009 at 4:14 pm #

Nina, of all the stuffed veggies…tomatoes had to be my fave…that sweetness…unequaled.

23. Jeanne 4 August 2009 at 3:52 pm #

As a child I detested tomatoes – in fact, until I was about 30!! EVen now, I sometimes forget that I now eat them and would never think to make this dish. Duh! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂