November 20, 2017

Roast Beef Recipes – Sunday Lunch!

Posted on July 21, 2009 by in beef

If you think of Beef Roasts, the first cuts that come to mind are the more popular beef cuts such as the rib roast, the sirloin, the round or even the brisket, but the less popular aitch bone is sometimes forgotten.
Aitch bone is a much cheaper cut and has lots of flavor, so for me this is perfect for a Sunday Roast.
It is a cut of beef including the H-shaped rump bone. You can ask your butcher to remove the bone for you!
I was quite eager to try my coffee rub that I bought from NoMu at the Cape Town Good Food and Wine Show.

NoMu is a fantastic range of products such as rubs, dippers, grinders and dried pestos. With my coffee rub, I was going to change my aitch bone into something decadent and delicious.

I do not have much of a recipe, but here goes…..

What you need:

baking bag
1,5kg aitch bone
olive oil
coffee rub
salt

Pat your beef dry with some kitchen toweling and rub first with oil and then the coffee rub and the extra salt. Place the beef in the baking bag and roast the meat for about 2 hours at 180C.
When the meat is done, remove from the bag and let the meat rest. Use the liquid in the bag to make a gravy of your choice. Serve with potatoes and other vegetables of your choice!.

29 Responses to “Roast Beef Recipes – Sunday Lunch!”

1. My Carolina Kitchen 21 July 2009 at 12:45 pm #

Gorgeous. Now I'm craving a roast beef. It's one of our favorite family meals. Looks like I'll have to have some people over soon to enjoy this lovely roast beef.

2. Elra 21 July 2009 at 3:38 pm #

Oh, this roast beef really look like cook to perfection! Absolutely wonderful Nina!

3. ♥peachkins♥ 21 July 2009 at 4:44 pm #

OMG!! Totally mouthwatering photo!

4. Pam 21 July 2009 at 6:16 pm #

Why can't I be your neighbor so I can come for Sunday dinner? Looks amazing.

5. That Girl 21 July 2009 at 6:24 pm #

Oh my goodness – the steam! the steam! So beautiful!

6. Junglefrog 21 July 2009 at 11:14 pm #

See, now that just looks absolutely amazing to me…! Is this actual steam coming from the dish or is it 'fake' steam? In either case I totally love the light you captured and that sauce pouring down on the meat… gorgeous!

7. Juliana 22 July 2009 at 1:56 am #

Wow, such a nice roast beef…yummie! I love meat! Nice picture as well.

8. Ellie 22 July 2009 at 6:23 am #

Delicious! Not familiar with coffee rub…

9. redkathy 22 July 2009 at 7:23 am #

The roast looks so delish, I went to NoMu and signed up for the recipe mailer, thanks for sharing. I always like using rubs and look for new flavors.

10. Nina Timm 22 July 2009 at 8:39 am #

my carolina kitchen – I still haven't cooked a proper British meal with Yorkshire puddings etc….yet!!!

elra – thanks my friend!

peachkins – sometimes I try so hard to get a good picture and then it doesn't work….this one, was an impulsive snapshot and it turned out so well!!

pam – what is a few thousand kilometers between friends?

that girl – I cannot take credit for that, just happened!!

junglefrog – that steam is real, it was a cold Sunday so I had lots of steam to play with, but the light through the kitchen window just worked.Thx

juliana – who does not love meat….thx for the visit!!

ellie – Oh, it is so delicious!!

redkathy – Oh, good, they have some lovely recipes there!!!

11. Jan 22 July 2009 at 8:53 am #

Fantastic photo! That has made me really hungry!

12. Juno 22 July 2009 at 12:42 pm #

Your photograph is just excellent, Nina. Love, love roast beef and have never cooked an aitch bone. But will do so!

13. Nina Timm 22 July 2009 at 2:52 pm #

jan – thank you for visiting my site!!!

juno – Your comments are so uplifting and I really appreciate them!!!

14. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 22 July 2009 at 10:53 pm #

Wow, Nina that looks absolutely yum! I am not a huge fan of roast beef, but then again, I have never seen roast beef look so good!

15. elly 23 July 2009 at 2:20 am #

Total comfort food. YUM!

16. Helene 23 July 2009 at 5:58 am #

Wow this is stunning what a beautiful dish.

17. Proud Italian Cook 23 July 2009 at 7:25 am #

Nina, It's hard to find words to describe what I'm seeing! You're amazing girl!

18. glamah16 23 July 2009 at 8:38 pm #

Havent heard of that cut, but that picture is a showstopper!

19. Lori Lynn 25 July 2009 at 9:53 pm #

Sounds excellent. Hadn't heard of that cut, learning all sorts of new things today…

Wow, is that a terrific photo!!!
    LL

20. Peter M 30 July 2009 at 10:47 pm #

A fab shot of a delicious food moment…the pouring of gravy or jus.

21. Ashley 1 August 2009 at 12:35 pm #

I LOVE your photos, they make me want to eat every single thing I see on your site!

22. Jeanne 4 August 2009 at 4:05 pm #

Stunning shot, Nina! And isn't it interesting how coffee works with meat? I made roast lamb in coffee last year that floored me with its deliciousness!

23. Cynthia 14 August 2009 at 6:11 pm #

Oh baby!

24. Kevin 16 August 2009 at 5:40 pm #

That roast beef looks so good! Great photo!

25. Lea 21 March 2011 at 12:11 pm #

Wow!What a healthy food.

26. Sue 24 December 2013 at 3:39 am #

Wow Nina just beautiful and what I am looking for…. I ended up with an aitchbone cut by default…. For Christmas lunch… Want mine to look like yours… In Jhb… So… What is in your coffee rub that I can try to replicate… Not sure f we have it this side f SA THANX FOR SHARING,…

27. Sue 24 December 2013 at 3:40 am #

Beautiful -just what I am looking for…. I ended up with an aitchbone cut by default…. For Christmas lunch… Want mine to look like yours… In Jhb… So… What is in your coffee rub that I can try to replicate… Not sure if we have it this side of SA THANX FOR SHARING,…

28. charlotte 16 October 2017 at 7:37 am #

i have a milex airfryer but don’t know how to do Roast Rump or roast Beef in this fryer can’t fine recipe for this mode can you help me can i cook meat from frozen or must i always defrost first thank you

• nerinatimm 28 October 2017 at 10:18 am #

Hi Charlotte

I have a Philips, which is slightly different. In mine, I can only fit like a 500 g piece. So I will rub with olive oil, spice and wrap in foil. Turn to 130 C and roast until cooked. Open foil and roast for another 5-10 min to give nice color. I am not familiar with the Milex though.