September 26, 2017

Easy pasta recipes-Pasta-with biltong-butternut-and bacon

Posted on September 2, 2009 by in pasta

Easy pasta recipes-Pasta-with biltong-butternut-and bacon

Easy pasta recipes-Pasta with biltong butternut and bacon. More easy pasta recipes, you would ask? How is it possible that there can be more pasta recipes? As you search the internet, you will find that pasta is no longer just enjoyed as part of the Italian cuisine……I read about Mexican pasta recipes, Greek pasta recipes and even Thanksgiving pasta recipes to mention but a few.
Today I am proud to share with you what I think is an authentic South African Pasta recipe. Why South African?

Easy pasta recipes-Pasta-with biltong-butternut-and bacon. Well, because of 1 special ingredient…..biltong! Biltong is something similar to jerky and is nothing other than pieces or strips of meat that is dried. My favorite biltong has to be beef, but game biltong and even chicken and fish biltong are sold here in South Africa. Now back to my pasta recipes….
I just wanted something different to the normal tomato based sauces or chicken….not even the idea of a seafood pasta sounded appetising to me. My eye caught the butternut on the cupboard and slowly but surely the idea started forming in my head. I wanted to get the balance just right. The sweet(butternut)…….salty(bacon and biltong), sour(lemon-infused olive oil) and bitter(fresh thyme) sounded like perfect balance to me, what do you think? Here we go!

Easy pasta recipes-Pasta-with biltong-butternut-and bacon
Pasta with Biltong and Butternut

1 medium-sized butternut – peeled and cut up in small cubes
125gr bacon – finely chopped
fresh thyme
1 bulb of garlic- top sliced of
1 medium onion- sliced
lemon-infused olive oil
salt/pepper to taste
500gr pasta of your choice – cooked al dente.
freshly grated parmesan cheese – about 1 cup
1 cup biltong – thinly sliced

Easy pasta recipes-Pasta-with biltong-butternut-and bacon. To save time, I par-boiled the butternut, but this is not necessary. In an oven-proof dish, scatter the bacon pieces, topped with the butternut and onion. Add the whole garlic bulb and drizzle the whole lot with olive oil and season with salt/pepper and thyme. Roast this in a hot oven until the butternut is cooked , the bacon is crispy and the garlic is soft and yummee. For the last 2-3 minutes, scatter the sliced biltong on top and let the biltong just warm through and start to brown slightly. Drain the pasta and add the content of the oven dish to the pasta. Add the parmesan and toss lightly. Season if needed.
This pasta recipe had my family speechless. Unusual ingredients thrown together, but it just worked!!! Go ahead, give it a try. If you want something a little more traditional, try my delicious homemade tomato sauce for pastaor even my Thai flavored pasta.
If you want to learn more about biltong, how it is made and even get a few recipes,this is the perfect site to visit…..

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

15 Responses to “Easy pasta recipes-Pasta-with biltong-butternut-and bacon”

1. My Carolina Kitchen 2 September 2009 at 12:46 pm #

Bacon and Parmesan cheese – yum. And the butternut squash adds a beautiful color. Lovely and easy – my kind of food.

2. Terry 2 September 2009 at 2:06 pm #

Oh, does that look good. Hubs would love this. I would too…but I will just eat the butternut.

Nina, I found that taking alfalfa capsules really helps with the gerd. I use Natures Way Alfalfa leaves in capsule form. Works very well for my Husband also.

3. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 2 September 2009 at 9:56 pm #

This looks so good Nina! I love the butternut in there! I think I would love biltong! YUM!

4. That Girl 2 September 2009 at 9:58 pm #

What's funny is that we give our dogs jerky as incentive to eat their dinner – sounds like you do the same with people!

5. Proud Italian Cook 3 September 2009 at 12:55 am #

Nina, Everything you make looks so good! I want to eat everything on this page, I'm serious! Tell hubs he does nice work with the photos, it's a visual pleasure everytime I stop by!
    xox, Marie

6. Elra 3 September 2009 at 5:55 am #

awwww, I miss biltong so much. When I was in CT, we ate lots of biltong. I wish we can buy it here in the U.S.

I can only imagine how good this pasta is.

7. The Woman 3 September 2009 at 9:06 am #

What an interesting combo! I've had butternut & bacon before (not with pasta mind you), but the biltong addition would be super.

8. myfrenchkitchen 3 September 2009 at 5:03 pm #

Oh, no fair!! I can't make this, I don't have biltong here…will have to use Bresaola maybe, but just reveling in your pics is alreaday satisfying1
    ronelle

9. Jonna 3 September 2009 at 6:16 pm #

That looks so delicious. I appreciate you visiting my baking blog: http://getoffyourbuttandbake.blogspot.com

You asked the question…how do I bake and "try" to stay slim. The trick is running for exercise, and giving most of what I bake away! It stinks, but that's my reality. Where I live, we don't use the same measuring system you do…I need to find a good converter..any ideas?

10. Helene 4 September 2009 at 4:25 am #

Again great pictures. We want to eat your food all the time.

11. Anonymous 4 September 2009 at 10:38 pm #

I am going to make this for Saturday lunch, Nina!! Yor photos are absolutely amazing!! PPD

12. Lori Lynn 7 September 2009 at 12:05 am #

Never heard of biltong, but your pasta looks fabulous, so it's got to be good.
    LL

13. Kevin 7 September 2009 at 12:38 pm #

That pasta looks good! This is the first that I have heard of biltong. I like the bacon, butternut squash and parmesan combo for a pasta!

14. Jeanne 12 October 2009 at 1:17 pm #

Butternunt and biltong and/or bacon is such a wonderful combination of sweet and savoury flavours – can I come round for dinner next time you make this please?!

15. Anonymous 4 December 2010 at 10:36 am #

Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on the search engines for not positioning this post higher!