December 13, 2017

Risotto recipes-Spring Risotto with peas-and goats cheese!

Posted on September 17, 2009 by in vegetarian

Risotto recipes-Spring Risotto with peas-and goats cheese

Risotto recipes-Spring Risotto-with peas-and goats cheese. Risotto is my ultimate comfort food and I am always willing to try another risotto recipe – and I already have quite a large selection!!! My first risotto that I tried was a simple Roasted Leek Risotto and was so divine, that I was hooked for life.
I have also tried other grains, such as Millet and even made asweet risotto to serve as a dessert.

Risotto recipes-Spring Risotto-with peas-and goats cheese. Risotto is traditionally made with Arborio rice and the idea is to cook it until it reaches al dente stage or until the rice still gives a bit of resistance when biting it. A basic Risotto is like an open canvas, the possibilities are endless. You can serve it as a side dish, main course and as I have said, even as a dessert. It can be a vegetarian meal or not, but what ever you make it to be, it will be delicious and comforting.

September marks the beginning of Spring here in South Africa, but we are still having rain every other day, so although I am eager to use the spring vegetables, we are just not ready for salads…. but rather want something warm and comforting and that means…..Risotto!!

Risotto recipes-Spring Risotto with peas-and goats cheese

Spring Risotto with Peas, Beans and Goat’s Cheese.

500gr Arborio rice
about 4 cups chicken stock – homemade or store bought
olive oil
2 leeks
2 cup fresh or frozen peas
a handful of mint
zest and juic of a lemon
250 gr young green beans – steamed and chopped diagonally.
1 log goat’s cheese
salt and black pepper
freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp sour cream
a knob of butter

Cook the peas in some water with the mint. When cooked, drain and process the peas until you have a green chunky consistency. Keep the peas warm. Heat your chicken stock and keep hot in a separate pot.
In a large, heavy saucepan over low heat, heat oil. Add the leeks and saute about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir until white spots appear in the center of the grains, about 1 minute.Add the wine and stir until absorbed, about 2 minutes.Add one ladleful of the hot stock, adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes. Continue adding the stock, one ladleful at a time and stirring constantly, until the rice is just tender but slightly firm in the center and the mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes.
Now add the mushy peas, parmesan, butter and sour cream and stir in quickly. Taste and season if needed. It is at this stage that I add the lemon juice and zest. Serve with crumbled goat’s cheese and the steamed green beans. More parmesan can be added if so preferred.

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

27 Responses to “Risotto recipes-Spring Risotto with peas-and goats cheese!”

1. The Woman 17 September 2009 at 10:36 am #

That risotto looks amazing!! So fresh and colourful. And I love those bowls. Want want want want want.

2. Amy 17 September 2009 at 1:05 pm #

Another risotto lover here (raises hand high) and make it often, especially in the winter months. I think it's versatility lends to it's greatness.

A lot of people think it's difficult to make, but it's so easy. Just takes time. The ingredients you used are fantastic…must try!

3. Wendy T 17 September 2009 at 2:40 pm #

I am a huge risotto fan!!! You are right about it being the ultimate comfort food!!

4. That Girl 17 September 2009 at 4:00 pm #

It has literally taken me years to "master" risotto so I don't end up with soft on the outside, uncooked rice on the inside.

5. Pam 17 September 2009 at 5:15 pm #

What a beautiful color! I love every single flavor you have used in this lovely risotto.

6. Elra 17 September 2009 at 5:42 pm #

Beautiful risotto Nina. Love the chartreuse color. It's my favorite color!

7. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 17 September 2009 at 7:55 pm #

Oh man, Nina, this looks so good. I love the bright green color. I am sure the goat cheese made is super creamy!

8. Juno 17 September 2009 at 9:29 pm #

Delicious recipe and, as always, stunning photographs Nina.

9. Junglefrog 17 September 2009 at 10:47 pm #

Wow, look at the colors of that risotto! I love risotto too. It's simple and goes with so many different things that I could eat it for many days or weeks in a row and never eat the same dish! Adding goat cheese is a yummy addition..

10. Bellini Valli 18 September 2009 at 6:42 am #

What a stunning green colour this risotto is. They do say you eat with your eyes first.

11. Jan 18 September 2009 at 8:37 am #

Fantastic colour! I'm loving the goats cheese you added.

12. Anonymous 18 September 2009 at 9:49 am #

Yah, yah, yah, but you forgot to say how much wine…. not in your ingredients list!!

13. Jonna 18 September 2009 at 5:37 pm #

Nina….you are so funny, you always crack me up. Thanks for commenting on http://getoffyourbuttandbake.blogspot.com

Your pictures are fantastic..are you also a photographer?

Jonna

14. Nina Timm 19 September 2009 at 10:56 am #

That woman – thank you, yes, the bowl was meant for something completely different, but it just worked perfectly for the risotto.

amy – yes, I think everyone should make it once and then decide if it is too difficult or not!!!

wendy T – I am going to try my hand at beetroot risotto soon!!!

that girl – but, I bet now you make a perfect risotto!!

pam – it was delicious I have to agree!!

elra – it is beautiful isn't it?

jenndz – and you ARE a goat's cheese fan!!!!

juno – thank you, thank you!!!

jungle frog – yes, I also think I could eat it a few days in a row!!

val – absolutely true!!

jan – come to think of it, I could just about add goat's cheese to anything and there was a time I did not like it!!

anonymous – who are you, please write you name at the bottom of your comment. I like to know who I am talking to. I am sorry about the wine, it is about 125ml…I will adjust the recipe a.s.a.p!!!

jonna – I am an amateur photographer, paid my way through university doing weddings and child photography(which is still my favorite)

15. Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary 19 September 2009 at 1:39 pm #

Nina what a great blog you have. The photos are stunning! Thanks for stoppin by mine. I'll be back, lol.

16. Jann 19 September 2009 at 6:38 pm #

The risotto is so colorful, I could dive right in! I love the combination of all the flavors!

17. Lori Lynn 20 September 2009 at 2:31 am #

Beautiful! Love love love the color. And the ingredients sound like such a harmonious combination. Happy Spring Nina!
    LL

18. Peabody 20 September 2009 at 8:02 am #

What gorgeous green that risotto produces, lovely.

19. elly 20 September 2009 at 3:20 pm #

This looks delicious, and what a gorgeous color! I love goat cheese so I need to try this for sure.

20. Kevin 20 September 2009 at 3:41 pm #

I really like the vibrant green of that risotto! It would be perfect for spring.

21. George@CulinaryTravels 20 September 2009 at 6:02 pm #

This looks amazing Nina. A must try recipe 🙂

Thanks for stopping by my blog too.

22. Nina Timm 21 September 2009 at 5:22 am #

lisa – thank you and please do come back. you are always most welcome!!!

jann – welcome to my site…….you can "travel here anytime!!!!

lori – thanks my friend, looks like you had a wonderful New Year celebration!!!!

peabody – thanks for visiting!!

kevin – looks like a fine Spring day today after all the rain from last week!!

george – I will go back to your blog anyday….love it!!!

23. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 21 September 2009 at 4:40 pm #

I love risotto too! I'll have to check out your roasted leek risotto – that sounds delicious!

~Susan

24. Dentistry Orange 25 September 2009 at 10:12 am #

I hope you can share more recipes for Risotto. I've been wanting to try cooking this dish. Keep up the your great work. I love your blog.

25. peasepudding 1 October 2009 at 10:18 am #

I love this recipe, it looks so fresh! definitely one I will try. I adore how clear and colourful all your photos always are, fabulous.

26. Jeanne 12 October 2009 at 1:12 pm #

Oh, I am in love with this recipe – and the amazing colour of that risotto! Definitely bookmarking for when Spring rolls around here in the Northern hemisphere… in 6 long months (sob!).

27. chris 10 December 2011 at 10:18 pm #

Hi, tried this recipe and I think putting the whole lemon in was too much: tasted like a lemon Risotto. Will definitely try it again though, but with less lemon. Thanks!