December 13, 2017

Fresh Salad-with Prawns-Pineapple-and Pomegranate!

Posted on October 1, 2009 by in seafood

Fresh Salad-With Prawns-Pineapple-and Pomegranate

Fresh Salad-with Prawns-Pineapple-and Pomegranate. “A fresh salad is what I desperately need, ” declared my husband on our way back from a few glorious days at our house in Colchester on the Sundays River.
Fresh Salad-with Prawns-Pineapple-and Pomegranate. I have to say that I don’t blame him, we were on a complete meat binge and our systems are in urgent need of fresh salads and healthier meals. With summer finally here and markets overflowing with all the wonderful fresh fruits and vegetables, this shouldn’t be too difficult, right?

Fresh Salad-with Prawns-Pineapple-and Pomegranate. While away on holiday I made all my meaty favorites, such as my soft-as-marrow steaks, rumps steaks on the grill and spatchcock chickens to mention but a few. So for the next couple of weeks I think we will concentrate on salads, whole foods, fish and white meats.
My children are with granny and grandpa for the last few days of the holiday, so last night hubby and I each had a delicious prawn salad. “What is so fantastic about a prawn salad?” I hear you ask. Well, let me not keep you in suspense any longer! The salad dressing I made, transformed this salad from a bland everyday prawn salad to a gourmet salad that you could have ordered in a fine dining restaurant. Now, I cantake credit for putting this salad together, but the real star here is the Pineapple vinegar that I bought yesterday. It made all the difference and complemented the different elements of this fresh salad beautifully. So let’s make this dressing.

Pineapple and Sweet Chili Salad dressing

3 tbsp lemon-infused olive oil
1 tbsp pineapple vinegar
juice and zest of a lemon
1 tsp sugar
1-2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
a small pinch of salt
chopped fresh chili – optional

Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bottle and shake well or use your whisk to make the dressing.

Fresh Salad-With Prawns-Pineapple-and Pomegranate

Fresh salad with Prawns, Pineapple and Pomegranate
 serves 2

Salad leaves of your choice
2 radishes – washed and sliced finely
1 cucumber – peeled and sliced
cocktail tomatoes – halved
1 spring onion or scallion – finely sliced
1 stick celery – finely sliced
pomegranate pips
¼ pineapple – cored and diced
10 prawns peeled and grilled in a little olive oil.

Assemble the salad and add the prawns. Pour over the dressing and enjoy!!! If you feel adventurous, you can make your own Pineapple vinegar, it is fairly simple.

colchester.co.za

Explore Colchester South Africa. Jewel of the Eastern Cape.

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

19 Responses to “Fresh Salad-with Prawns-Pineapple-and Pomegranate!”

1. The Woman 1 October 2009 at 11:29 am #

What a colourful salad! Just right for the lovely sunny weather we're experiencing in the Western Cape now.

2. My Carolina Kitchen 1 October 2009 at 12:02 pm #

Nina, what a gorgeous salad. You could say I collect vinegars because I make a lot of salads, but pineapple vinegar is a new one to me. I clicked over to see how to make it and it doesn't look hard.

I tried to find pomegranate seeds yesterday at our supermarket with no luck. Wasn't time for pomegranates yet they told me. Are the pips you used seeds and can you buy them without having to buy the whole pomegranate?

3. Nina Timm 1 October 2009 at 1:17 pm #

You're right summer is here!!!!

my carolina kitchen – I use the pips and I always buy the whole fruit, because my children love hunting for the pips….as a child we had a tree in the back yard, but now sadly I have to buy!!

4. Wendy T 1 October 2009 at 2:23 pm #

Pineapple vinegar sounds interesting! We are getting loads of pomegranates here at the moment. My kids had them in their lunchboxes today, they also love the seeds!

5. ♥peachkins♥ 1 October 2009 at 4:38 pm #

this salad looks extra special. Love the colors too!

6. That Girl 1 October 2009 at 4:45 pm #

I am very much looking forward to your recipes for the next couple of weeks – they sound right up my alley.

7. Pam 1 October 2009 at 5:23 pm #

What a fantastic salad that's loaded with great colors, flavors and textures. Beautiful Nina.

8. Elra 1 October 2009 at 5:52 pm #

THE salad that will make me happy!!!!

9. Junglefrog 1 October 2009 at 7:40 pm #

What a gorgeously colorful salad that is! Love how it looks. I had never heard of pineapple vinegar but it sounds delicious!

10. mycookinghut 1 October 2009 at 8:31 pm #

What a fantastic looking salad!! I can imagine all the flavours!! yumm!! Well done!

11. Bellini Valli 1 October 2009 at 10:43 pm #

It does sound delicious Nina and refreshing too. I hope that some day you do make it to North America:D

12. Helene 2 October 2009 at 3:21 am #

Beautiful picture, looks like the best salad I have seen in a while.

13. Rose&Thorn 2 October 2009 at 8:30 am #

Summer is here – you have captured the beauty perfectly!

14. formerchef 3 October 2009 at 6:21 am #

That salad looks great. I can totally relate to the need to eat light after vacation. I always over indulge and come home craving salads.

15. Kevin 3 October 2009 at 9:45 pm #

That salad would be so good with a sweet chili dressing!

16. Karine 4 October 2009 at 12:17 am #

Shrimps and pomegranate go so well together! And I love all the colors of your salad. So tempting!

17. Lorette 6 October 2009 at 1:40 pm #

Also had a tree in my grandfather's garden! What luxury we had and didn't even know it. Would love to plant one in my garden now. Very expensive for the whole fruit.

18. Jeanne 12 October 2009 at 1:09 pm #

aaaah, Colchester – just up the road from my hometown! This salad looks amazing, so colourful, and the dressing sounds divine 🙂

19. Peter M 21 October 2009 at 4:06 pm #

This is very colourful and I do enjoy dishes with falvour contrasts…like the sweet and spicy.