September 19, 2018

Pork tenderloin – Herbs and Spices – I cannot imagine cooking without them.

Posted on October 16, 2009 by in pork

Pork tenderloin

Pork tenderloin. Cooking this pork tenderloin in cider made me realize just how bland and grim cooking would be without the use of herbs and spices.Who can imagine cooking without herbs and spices, even in Ancient times fragrant plants, berries and seeds were used to enhance the flavor of food. Different herbs and spices also give a specific flavor to food, therefor a simple ingredient like lamb would taste different in almost every country it is cooked.
Pork tenderloin. Now, not all of us have the luxury of a herb garden or even a potted herb garden, but there is no excuse for not using spices. Most spices are relatively cheap and can be kept in glass jars for months.

Pork tenderloin. As I have said, each country has its own unique use of spices, for instance in Mexico it is cumin, coriander, chili and oregano that gives Mexican food its authentic flavor. In the Mediterranean the use of garlic, rosemary, thyme and other fresh herbs are more predominantly used. Not to speak of India…we have all been to an Indian market where the smell of the different curries are so intoxicating that you just end up buying and buying….. and so I can go on and on, but you get the point I am trying to make. Cooking Pork tenderloin without herbs and spices is like having an awesome house but no furniture…..just like furniture, it changes a basic ingredient into something special and something fragrant.

In South Africa, we have influences from many countries so I have a whole array of spices that I can use from, but if I have to single out one spice, then it would be dry coriander or coriander seeds as some people would like to call it.. I love the earthy taste it gives to food and our proudly South African Boerewors, would not be the same without it. Wikipedia describes coriander seeds as “warm, nutty, spicy, and orange-flavored.”
When using coriander seeds, it is essential to dry roast the seeds before crushing them to ensure that all the volatile oils are released.
I had a de-boned pork neck that I wanted to use and I wanted the coriander to be the star of the show, so this is what I came up with.

Pork tenderloin

Pork neck braised with coriander and beer

1,5kg de-boned neck of pork
125ml dry coriander seeds – dry roasted and crushed in mortar and pestle
crushed black pepper
salt
1 tbsp dry oregano
olive oil
500ml beer
250ml cream
fresh thyme

You can ask your butcher to trim and roll the pork for you ar you can simply season the pork with salt and roll it up and tie it with kitchen twine about 5cm apart. Now mix all the dry spices and pour out on a wooden board. Roll the pork in the spices until all the spices are used up and the pork is evenly coated. Now slice the meat in thick slices about 5cm thick, make sure that each piece has a piece if twine in the middle holding the meat together in a nice “round”.

Pork tenderloin. You need an oven-proof skillet with a lid for this dish. On the stove top, heat the olive oil in the skillet and brown the meat on both sides. Add the beer and with the lid on braise in the oven for about 1 hour. Take the skillet out of the oven, remove the pork , add the cream and let the sauce reduce somewhat. Add the fresh thyme and serve the pork with this flavorful sauce on a warm bean and pea salad.

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

Tags:

18 Responses to “Pork tenderloin – Herbs and Spices – I cannot imagine cooking without them.”

1. chriesi 16 October 2009 at 10:33 am #

Mmm that must have been very good!

2. myfrenchkitchen 16 October 2009 at 12:48 pm #

Looks absolutely divine Nina!
    Ronelle

3. That Girl 16 October 2009 at 4:52 pm #

It's so interesting the spices associated with different areas – I hardly ever use coriander – but the plant itself, cilantro, is found in a lot of my cooking.

4. Helene 17 October 2009 at 3:26 am #

I could not cook without them either. Looks delicious.

5. Bellini Valli 17 October 2009 at 4:19 pm #

We can make anything in the world if we have access to their spice varieties. Love your dish.

6. The Woman 17 October 2009 at 5:06 pm #

This looks phenomenal! I can only imagine how good it would taste…

7. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 17 October 2009 at 8:17 pm #

I can't imagine cooking without spices either! This looks wonderful.

8. mycookinghut 18 October 2009 at 12:17 pm #

This looks absolutely delish! I can't imagine myself cooking without herbs and spices!!!

9. Cynthia 19 October 2009 at 12:50 am #

Me too – my world without herbs and spices would be bland, bland, bland.

10. Junglefrog 19 October 2009 at 5:32 am #

I love fresh coriander as well as coriander seeds. The smell alone makes me happy! This dish looks gorgeous Nina…

11. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 19 October 2009 at 4:56 pm #

Wow, Nina! This is looking so good to me. I love pork and coriander together. They are perfect compliments to each other! And the peas are a perfect accompaniment!

12. Marianna 19 October 2009 at 5:20 pm #

wow does that look good or what!! and yes, what would a kitchen be without herbs & spices?! i dont even dare to imagine! btw i am one of those coriander lovers, as i know its a love/hate herb, but i LOVE it!!

13. Juliana 20 October 2009 at 2:17 am #

Yummie, this pork dish looks delicious…beer and all the spices in it…

14. emiglia 21 October 2009 at 6:30 pm #

This is such an interesting combination… I'll be sure to try it in the future. The picture is absolutely gorgeous as well.

15. Lindsey 24 October 2009 at 8:14 pm #

Wow this looks divine! I can't imagine cooking without herbs/spices either! What a dull food world it would be without them!

16. Spice Rack 27 October 2009 at 5:33 am #

Wow, these look good. Yes, herbs and spices make any food go from dull/bland to full of flavor.

17. Peter M 28 October 2009 at 12:28 pm #

Nor can I. My pantry is my arsenal…it's always loaded!

I really like the coriander seed and oregano combo here.

18. Jeanne 2 November 2009 at 8:29 pm #

Oh Nina – I am SO going to make this!! I wonder if you could also make it with thick slives of pork fillet? Coriander is a HUGE favourite in our house 🙂