October 20, 2017

Spaghetti Carbonara on Grilled Portabello Mushrooms

Posted on January 15, 2010 by in pasta

Spaghetti Carbonara on Grilled Portabello Mushrooms

Spaghetti Carbonara must be one of he most popular of all Italian pasta dishes.

It can be made with other pastas like fettuccine or rigatoni, but traditionally it is always made with spaghetti. Basically it  is made with only four ingredients, pasta, pancetta, cheese and eggs.
Simple, just like that!!! But, like with all their recipes, the Italians use only the best ingredients and that of course will always give the best results. The Americans add cream to their carbonara and I suppose that is ok, but why fiddle with a winning recipe. If you cannot find pancetta, use a well-cured piece of bacon. The cheese that you will use is fresh parmesan, nothing else…..no cheddar please!!!

Although I can eat a huge bowl of this quite happily,  I am trying to reduce our portion sizes in this household, but to make it less noticeable I have to come up with some nifty tricks sometimes. So I served a small portion of this delicious Spaghetti Carbonara on a grilled Portabello mushroom with a simple salad to accompany it. My family was happy, no one even noticed that they only ate halve their normal portion of pasta.

Spaghetti Carbonara on Grilled Portabello Mushrooms

Spaghetti Carbonara

250gr dried spaghetti

200gr diced pancetta or good quality bacon – cut into small pieces

about 1 cup of finely grated parmesan cheese

2 eggs

olive oil

1 tbs olive oil

parsley – finely chopped

freshly ground black pepper

Place a big pot of water on the stove and bring to the boil. Add enough salt to make it taste like seawater. Add the pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes or according to instructions on the packet.

In the meantime, heat a pan and add the olive oil to it. Add the chopped pancetta and cook until crisp. Keep one side. While you are waiting for the pasta, beat the 2 eggs and the cheese together with a whisk. Drain the pasta and add the beaten egg and cheese mixture and then the crispy bacon and parsley. Serve immediately with more grated parmesan and lots of black pepper.

Grilled Portebello Mushrooms

4 giant Portebello Mushrooms, cleaned  with a dry kitchen towel
about 2 tbsp butter
1 clove garlic- finely chopped
Melt the butter and garlic together and drizzle over the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and place under a hot grill until cooked.
Spoon the spaghetti carbonara on the top for a very attractive meal.

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

Tags:

23 Responses to “Spaghetti Carbonara on Grilled Portabello Mushrooms”

1. Peter 15 January 2010 at 10:21 am #

Spaghetti Carbonara – one of my favourites – in combination with grilled mushrooms – I'll take it!

2. MeetaK 15 January 2010 at 10:36 am #

love this idea. i do like spaghetti carbonara but always thought something was missing – now i know the mushroom ;o)

3. My Carolina Kitchen 15 January 2010 at 3:20 pm #

Nina, thanks for making spaghetti Carbonara healthy with the portebello mushrooms and darling small servings.

4. Lori Lynn 15 January 2010 at 3:37 pm #

How smart!
    Great idea pairing the two.
    LL

5. Bellini Valli 15 January 2010 at 4:14 pm #

That's a great trick to reduce our carb intake Nina. It also a very tasty twist.

6. Cynthia 15 January 2010 at 11:29 pm #

There are no words for your creations!

7. Proud Italian Cook 16 January 2010 at 4:32 am #

You're brilliant Nina! I'm stealing this idea. Thank you!

8. Queenie 16 January 2010 at 3:18 pm #

Such a delicious and fantastic photographer.. I love your blog.

9. Rose&Thorn 16 January 2010 at 5:24 pm #

What a clever idea – I am so glad to be back in the blog world, if only to see what's cooking in your kitchen.

10. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 16 January 2010 at 8:50 pm #

This sounds wonderful and what a clever way to cut down on serving sizes!

11. pierre 17 January 2010 at 7:18 pm #

nina i love so much carbonara !! thanks Pierre

12. elly 18 January 2010 at 6:53 am #

What a great way to serve the carbonara – not only does it cut down on serving sizes, it looks beautiful and I'm sure the mushroom tastes delicious with the pasta!

13. Pam 19 January 2010 at 6:41 pm #

I LOVE THIS! You are so creative Nina.

14. Joanne 20 January 2010 at 2:46 am #

I love this cute trick that you used! I am always looking for ways to get my family to reduce portion sizes. Great idea! Especially when the mushrooms are accompanied by such a delicious pasta dish. You are so right about the ingredients for carbonara. Since there are so few, if they are not quality it definitely shows!

15. Kevin 20 January 2010 at 4:59 am #

Serving spaghetti carbonara on grilled portabello mushrooms is a great idea! What a meal!

16. Jeanne @ Cooksister! 20 January 2010 at 10:56 am #

Now that is a clever idea – – I've always thought spaghetti carbonara lacked mushroom flavours 😉 Sadly though hubby would not fall for this portion reduction trick – he'd simply guzzle three or four mushrooms!!

17. Susan @ SGCC 21 January 2010 at 3:50 pm #

Carbonara is one of our favorite ways to enjoy pasta. Cream? Never! but, those mushrooms are going in next time I make it!

18. Peter M 21 January 2010 at 10:31 pm #

A fabulous presentation…a total meal. Love the nests!

19. La Table De Nana 24 January 2010 at 10:31 pm #

Nina..This is gorgeous!!!What a great idea!

20. Lorraine 26 April 2010 at 12:22 pm #

Beautiful! I've always complained about small mushroom pieces in my carbonara pasta, and this is just the way to enjoy mushrooms. As for the serving size, clever as it is, I just might take more than seconds of this lovely food!

21. Louisa 24 June 2013 at 2:14 pm #

Looks divine – great idea!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. My Easy Cooking – Spaghetti Carbonara on Grilled Portabello Mushrooms | Mumspiration - June 10, 2014

[…] By Nina Timm – My-easy-cooking.com […]

2. Spaghetti with Black Olives, Anchovies and Mint | My Easy Cooking - August 6, 2014

[…] in books and online! Think vegetarian with this easy Vegetarian Spaghetti Carbonara, or make a more traditional one and just serve it differently. With spaghetti you can go Asian and make this Crunchy Noodle Salad […]