December 13, 2017

Grilled Steak and Chips is still one of my favorite meals!

Posted on January 22, 2010 by in beef

Grilled Steak and Chips

Grilled steak, if done properly, served  with crispy potato chips and a few slices of  tomato and onion, has to be one of life’s simple pleasures. I don’t like fancy sauces or fancy rubs, just the flavor of the beef is important to me.
When grilling steak, there are a few vital rules and do’s and don’ts to follow. Nothing difficult, just a few handy tips that I have worked out over the years to ensure soft and tender grilled steak every time.

For  me the following is important.

– always buy good free-range beef that has matured for a couple of weeks
– remove any visible fat and gristle from the steaks
– do not season steaks with salt before grilling – do it at the last minute
– steaks must be at room temperature before cooking
– use a very hot griddle pan or coals and NEVER oil the pan, oil the steaks instead.
– steak has to rest after cooking for at least 5-10 minutes
– NEVER over-cook a steak – you will always end up with tough meat.
– a steak will “tell” you when it wants to be turned over. If it is still stuck to the pan, LEAVE IT!!!!

For my grilled steak,, I used he following rub:

Grilled Steak and Chips

Nina’s Steak rub –  for 4 sirloin steaks

1 tsp  dried peppercorns
1 tbsp dried coriander seeds – toasted
1-2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp fennel seeds – toasted(optional)

Grind all the above spices in a pestle and mortar and keep one side. After trimming the steaks, squeeze the juice of one lemon over the steaks. Rub with some olive oil and then rub in the dried spices. Heat the griddle pan until it is smoking hot and then only slap on the steaks.  Now cook the steak on one side until it “tells” you to turn it over.

Here is the following method I use to check the  “done-ness” of the steak. Feel the steak and then check with the following method. ……
Put your tips of your thumb and pointer finger together and feel on the inside of your hand at the base of your thumb. The “flesh” at the base of your thumb must be soft and “giving”. That will resemble a RARE steak. Now do the same with your middle finger and thumb and that will resemble a “MEDIUM” steak. Ring finger and thumb will be a “WELL_DONE” steak and pinkie and thumb….well that steak is ruined!!!!!

Once the steak is cooked to your preference, season with salt and leave on a plate, covered with tin foil, to rest for at least 5-10 minutes. When your chips are crispy and golden brown, serve immediately with a chunk of goat’s cheese if you wish!!!
Looking for a steak recipe for a special occasion?

This easy oven method if you want to cook the Softest steaks ever, but have no time to light the grill.

Have a good weekend everyone…….

Twitter follow me button Paella made to perfection!

Facebook follow me button Paella made to perfection!

youtube

17 Responses to “Grilled Steak and Chips is still one of my favorite meals!”

1. ♥peachkins♥ 22 January 2010 at 5:24 pm #

your steak and chips are to die for..

2. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 22 January 2010 at 5:49 pm #

Your steak and fries look so good! I've never been able to master that finger test, I resort to a 'timer and making a cut in the meat' method 😉

3. Peter M 22 January 2010 at 6:28 pm #

Bistro cuisine goes Boer! I want to jump in the computer screen.

4. Mary 22 January 2010 at 7:35 pm #

This looks wonderful. Sometimes we forget just how good "plain" food can be. I love the rub you use for your steaks. I'll have to give it a try.

5. Bellini Valli 22 January 2010 at 8:37 pm #

Thanks for all the tops for grilling on the "braai" Nina.

6. myfrenchkitchen 22 January 2010 at 10:18 pm #

this is a BIG favourite of us too nina! Halway through, I give Hartman my other hal of the steak and he gives me his chips and we're happy all over aagain! Our season is here soon for the coals, a steak, red wine, chips…and a fresh tomato salad…I can't wait!
    Ronell

7. Juno 22 January 2010 at 10:20 pm #

I faint looking at your beautiful photographs, Nina. Thank you for this recipe: love its simplicity.

8. Helene 23 January 2010 at 8:08 am #

This is pretty popular in my house. Love the picture.

9. My Carolina Kitchen 23 January 2010 at 4:27 pm #

This is one of our favorite meals too. I like the goat cheese on top of the steak in lieu of a pat of butter too. Your steak rub sounds awesome and I love the chips and tomato wedges.

10. mycookinghut 23 January 2010 at 9:19 pm #

I can eat this anytime. I love to have my steak with mustard.. heheh.. you have a great piece of meat there!

11. elly 24 January 2010 at 4:38 am #

Who doesn't love steak and chips?! I kind of wish I hadn't visited your blog tonight though because now I am craving some fried potatoes big time!

12. Sook 24 January 2010 at 9:10 am #

What a great looking steak! 🙂

13. Cynthia 25 January 2010 at 3:38 am #

You, you, you! You know what I mean 🙂

14. Junglefrog 25 January 2010 at 10:00 am #

Thanks for that rub recipe! I know it is still a long way from BBQ season here but I have been looking for a good rub and yours sounds delicious. Love the look of that steak. I am not a real meat person so I am – so to say – steakchallenged… lol

15. Pam 25 January 2010 at 9:02 pm #

Me too! This meal looks delicious Nina.

16. Jeanne @ Cooksister 29 January 2010 at 5:44 pm #

Good tips, one and all!! Nothing worse than abeautiful stak ruined by careless cooking. Love the "thumb and fingers" test!!

17. Yona 21 March 2011 at 10:43 am #

One of the best combination!Very Yummy!