October 20, 2017

Fritters have never tasted this good!

Posted on March 5, 2010 by in vegetarian

Fritters must be the easiest snack in the world to make. Seriously, if you can grate something( and we all can do that), then you can make fritters. When I searched for the definition of “fritters”,Β  ended up on Wikipedia and according to them, fritters are “any kind of food coated with a batter and deep-fried.
They say that “Fritters are exclusively dough- or batter-based foodstuffs”. Big oops, that means that the recipe I am about to show you, is incorrect……so back to the research then!

Could they be “latkes” then? No, because from what I can understand, Latkes are potato based pancakes, so these babies are definitely not Latkes. I then searched for a zucchini fritter recipe and found that most people refer to these snacks as fritters, so right or wrong, here is my version of Zucchini and Potato Fritters.
I have made Zucchini and Corn Fritters before, but this time round I wanted to add some Greek Flavors to my Zucchini fritters and that meant adding lots of fresh herbs such as mint, dill and parsley and never forget the feta! So here then is version of ….

Fritters with a Greek Twist – Kolokithakia Tiganita

500gr zucchini – grated
200gr potato – grated
an open handful of fresh herbs such as mint, dill and parsley – chopped
salt/pepper
2 large eggs
1 onion grated
125ml flour
100 feta – crumbled
vegetable oil for frying

Place the grated zucchini and potato in a clean cloth and squeeze out all the excessΒ  liquid. When most of the liquid is out, transfer the veggies to a bowl and mix with all the other ingredients except the oil. Heat the oil in a skillet and shallow fry until cooked through and golden brown.
Serve with tzatziki, crushed olives and more feta if needed. While we are on the subject of tzatziki, there is in my opinion NO BETTER recipe than this one……You wanna know how to make a proper tzatziki, you ask a proper Greek, right?

Tags: , , ,

18 Responses to “Fritters have never tasted this good!”

1. Marisa 5 March 2010 at 1:25 pm #

This looks excellent Nina, whatever they're called!

2. Peter M 5 March 2010 at 2:07 pm #

Nina, these look mucho delish, love them when zucchini are plentiful.

As for the name…."pitta" in Greek refers to pies, to which these are not.

We call these 'kolokithakia tiganita'.

Thank you for the Tzatziki link, perfect for dipping these in.

3. Nina Timm 5 March 2010 at 2:40 pm #

marisa – delicious they were indeed!!

peter – thanks for the "lesson". I fixed it immediately…Thank you!

4. myfrenchkitchen 5 March 2010 at 5:25 pm #

Looks delicious nina..! A quick word of good luck to you all with the upcoming "foodbloggers conference" hope it is a huge success and lots of fun!
    Ronelle

5. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 5 March 2010 at 6:06 pm #

I love making zucchini fritters or pancakes in the summer when I can get fresh zucchini from my garden! I love the flavors of yours!

6. Elra 5 March 2010 at 6:12 pm #

This is something I'd love to try on the weekend. It's perfect, and it's very tempting…
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    ~elra~

7. mycookinghut 5 March 2010 at 8:23 pm #

Love love love fritters! Can I have some please. πŸ˜›

8. Juno 5 March 2010 at 11:01 pm #

Your recipes are always so inspiring Nina. I am so looking forward to meeting you at the SA Food Bloggers' Conference – and also hoping to pick up some food photography tips from you!

9. Pam 6 March 2010 at 1:19 am #

Can I come live with you? I'll eat anything you make and I'll even help do the dishes. πŸ™‚

10. Juliana 6 March 2010 at 3:00 am #

Nina, great recipe…looks fabulous :-)and the ice thing is that I have all the ingredients handy πŸ˜‰

11. Adele @ WillworkforBiltong 6 March 2010 at 12:19 pm #

Nina, these look delicious, no matter what you call them. Gorgeous photos too!

12. Tuty @Scentofspice.com 7 March 2010 at 7:44 am #

I like fritters of all kinds especially when the savory kind is mixed with shrimp.

13. elly 8 March 2010 at 3:37 pm #

I LOVE fritters. I have made corn fritters and zucchini pancakes but never combined the two. Looks like I know what I will be doing soon, especially with the feta, too. Yum.

14. elly 8 March 2010 at 3:39 pm #

Doh, I meant potato pancakes not corn fritters. I am just hungry, lol.

15. Jeanne @ Cooksister 15 March 2010 at 3:16 pm #

Names shmames – terminology is very overrated when you have these babies waiting to be eaten! I love all the flavours in there Nina.

16. Maria 17 March 2010 at 2:49 am #

I've got some zucchini in the fridge that I was looking to fry up these days. These look terrific and they go superbly with tzatziki!

17. Annelise 12 July 2016 at 7:18 pm #

Ek wil ‘n foto post maar ek sukkel … Maar wat ek eintlik wil sΓͺ is dat hierdie resep wild lekker is Nina!!🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 Baie dankie ❀️

• nerinatimm 13 July 2016 at 6:57 am #

Liewe Annelise en familie, julle laat my fan club super-cool lyk!