April 19, 2014

A lamb burger recipe that will make your tastebuds jump with joy!

Posted on April 8, 2010 by in lamb

Print Friendly

Lamb burger recipes are by far not as commonly found as beef burger recipes, but once you’ve taste a succulent, grilled lamb burger, you will find it extremely difficult to convert back to beef.
Pleased don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with beef, maybe it is just because I am so used to beef burgers that the idea of a lamb burger sounds almost intriguing to me.
My love for lamb is quite obvious if you have a look at all the lamb recipes that I have posted over the years. A lamb burger recipe is then almost a natural progression in my quest to find more lamb recipes, wouldn’t you say?
For me the perfect lamb burger recipe must have the following elements: The burger must have a loose coarse texture, it must be grilled not pan friend and it must be thick and juicy. The flavors I want in a lamb burger are coarse,dried coriander, mint, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and lemon zest. To make all these flavors and elements come together took a bit of experimenting, but I can say that I have finally found the balance. The result is everything I had hoped it would be …and more. Give it a try, maybe you will also convert to Lamb burger recipes in future.
For the lamb, you can use the leg or shoulder meat. Shoulder meat is most probably best, at least you  don’t have to cut up a whole leg of lamb and miss the opportunity to make this delicious Oven Roasted Leg of Lamb.  Alternatively ask your butcher to make up some ground lamb or lamb mince for you.

Lamb Burger Recipe

500gr/1lbs ground lamb
zest of a lemon
salt/pepper
2 tsp – dry whole coriander – dry-fried and grounded
1 clove garlic – finely grated
1 small onion – finely grated
1 handful frsh mint – finely chopped
2 slices of brown bread – soaked in water

Squeeze the water out of the bread and together with all the other ingredients, place it in a mixing bowl. Gently mix everything together and form it into thick patties/burgers. Heat your griddle pan or barbecue until it is smoking hot and grill the burgers to perfection.
I prefer my burgers with a soft white bun, lettuce, tomato and a little mustard, but for fun add your own favorites, such as goat’s cheese, pesto, chutney or even a slice of mature cheddar. Go on be daring…..
If lamb burgers are not for you, you can still try your hand at making your own beef burgers or evenfish burgers…..

Tags:

17 Responses to “A lamb burger recipe that will make your tastebuds jump with joy!”

1. My Carolina Kitchen 8 April 2010 at 1:35 pm #

What a gorgeous lamb burger Nina. Lamb is one of our favorites. It's hard to find ground lamb where we live, but when we do find it, it always goes in a burger. I love that you've used onions and mint in the mixture. Goat cheese is one of our favorite toppings too.

2. Cocoa 8 April 2010 at 2:17 pm #

Yummy nina…definitly trying it

3. Bellini Valli 8 April 2010 at 2:33 pm #

Lamb burgewrs are so juicy and comforting. Top it witrh some feta and it rivals even kobe beef burgers.

4. Marisa 8 April 2010 at 4:56 pm #

Lamb is hands down my favourite meat, so I'll definitely be giving these a go! Your fish burger link also sounds intriguing though…

5. Pam 8 April 2010 at 5:17 pm #

What a beautiful burger! It looks wonderful Nina.

6. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 9 April 2010 at 3:47 am #

What a perfect spring burger! I've never cooked with ground lamb before – only grilled racks or chops. It sounds delicious!

7. Anna 9 April 2010 at 9:12 am #

I love lamb, and the flavors you used sounds awesome to me, Lemon zest, mint, and coriander,that must be delicious.

8. Rose&Thorn 9 April 2010 at 10:09 am #

I am not really a lamb lover (unless they are still alive), but this burger really has me tempted to revisit my opinions.

9. Peter M 9 April 2010 at 3:55 pm #

Nina, you're sneaky…mentioning a lamb burger on Twitter and now actually posting your yen! Yum!

10. Junglefrog 10 April 2010 at 1:47 pm #

I love lamb but Tom does not so it is always a question of balancing those two things out… I think I might actually convince to eat this gorgeous burger though!

11. Kitchen Butterfly 10 April 2010 at 5:28 pm #

That burger rocks………I think I would add a tiny bit of cumin………but it looks superb and delish

12. Wisconsin Motorcycle Accident Lawyer 12 April 2010 at 9:56 pm #

Thanks a lot for introducing this lamb burger. It looks very tasty.

13. reindeersp 13 April 2010 at 12:48 am #

Oooh lovely :)

14. Tricia 22 March 2011 at 3:13 am #

This Burger is the best!cravin for more!

15. commi chef j Morrison 21 January 2013 at 9:12 pm #

This is one of the easiest burgers I’ve ever made. I highly recommended this dish

16. Sahil 2 July 2013 at 7:32 pm #

It amuses me most of you Americans are so ignorant on the subject of Lamb and mutton (yes, older meats are tastier especially for casserole-style cooking). I’m from India and mutton from goat or sheep is the preferred ingredient used in meat dishes (other than chicken of course). Once me and just four other carnivore friends of mine devoured an entire sheep (weight 35 kilos) in a single meal, and I’m not joking. We love our mutton so much here. I love lamb too occasionally, but only when it’s in the form of kebab or skillet. I’ve had beef burgers in the past and they never came close to the aroma, flavour and bite consistency that you’ll find in freshly ground mutton.

17. Shashikumar Ramamoorthy 17 April 2014 at 1:38 pm #

Nina,
    This lamb burger recipe is just what I was looking for, for quite some time. Sounds yummy and delish…will try and get back to u about it…..