February 21, 2017

Potato rosti – Ich liebe es!!!!

Posted on June 18, 2010 by in vegetarian

Print Friendly

Potato rosti, Ich liebe es! Yes, it is a recipe so good, it almost inspires me to learn a new language. Potatoes on the menu in any form or shape and I am definitely excited. It is so amazing how versatile potatoes are and every method of cooking potatoes have a match made in heaven.
Just think Bangers and Mash, Leg of lamb and roasties, Fried potato chips and Tomato sauce, Potato Gnocchi and Blue Cheese, everyone of these combinations makes your mouth water doesn’t it! Of all of the above combinations,  Fried Potato Chips have always been my weakness, but I think I have found a new favorite…..
Potato Rosti, gosh I am salivating just saying the word! Crunchy and golden brown on the outside and soft and moist on the inside, flavored with nothing but a few spring onions and salt and pepper. Heaven!  Because I have always had a passion for potatoes, I have tried many rosti or potato cake recipes only to be disappointed with the result. Add eggs people would say, only to leave me with an eggy, mushy fritter-like thing. Another piece of advise that I was given, is to boil the potatoes first. Nope, also not worked out for me….in the end I gave up..until  I saw this picture on one of my favorite sites….Taste like Home. Cynthia, darling, this is the rosti I have been yearning after  for so long….Fried Potato chips is but a distant memory  since I have tried this recipe…
I have made this a couple of times already and every time I can enjoy the crunchy outside, mushy inside and just the unadulterated taste of potatoes. When I did a bit of Google-investigation, I saw that this recipe is slightly different to the normal rosti recipe, but for me, this one works! Once you have made the rosti, it becomes an open canvas where you can taste and create to your heart’s content. I have shown you just two ways of eating this new-found favorite of mine!

Potato Rosti

3 lbs/ about 1,5kg  Potatoes
5 Spring onions or Scallions  – chopped
½ Cup Cornstarch
Vegetable Oil

Salt/Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Peel the potatoes and grate them. Immediately transfer the grated potatoes to large bowl of cold water and swirl and rinse the potatoes to get rid of the excess starch. Lift them from the water and dry in a salad spinner and when they are dry, our into another large bowl. Add the cornstarch and toss the potatoes in the bowl to ensure that each and every piece of potato is coated with corn starch.Add the scallions and mix quickly. Do not let the potatoes sit for too long though, or they will release their starch and the centers of the potatoes can become sticky.
Heat a 10in/25 cm skillet and add the oil. When the oil is hot add the potatoes to the pan. Flatten, but work lightly not to compress the potatoes. Turn the heat down and let the pancake just brown slowly on the one side for 6 to 7 minutes. You should hear the potatoes sizzling in the oil; if the potatoes get quiet and are not sizzling, or the pan looks dry, add a bit more oil. When the one side is golden brown and crunchy, take the pan from the heat, place a suitably large plate on top of the rosti and turn the pan upside down so the browned side is facing upwards. Return the pan to the heat, add more oil and butter and slide the rosti back into the pan to cook the other side. Patience is a virtue, your rosti should be crisp and not greasy.

For toppings, the possibilities are endless. I tried it with Pastrami and Hollandaise sauce, but the meal de resistance was Rosti topped with steamed Spinach and a soft Poached Egg and lashes of Hollandaise Sauce…..Glorious!!

I am sending this recipe over to Weekend Herb Blogging # 238.

This week Rachel from The Crispy Cook is hosting Weekend Herb Blogging.

Tags:

16 Responses to “Potato rosti – Ich liebe es!!!!”

1. Marisa 18 June 2010 at 3:13 pm #

*Drool* Don't know what looks better – the rosti or that glorious hollandaise sauce.

PS: Have you tried German knephleas? Now those are a potato lovers dream.

2. polkadotcupcake 18 June 2010 at 3:16 pm #

Oh dear. I don't know how it happens, but I start every weekend these days with a craving for poached eggs! And this looks DELISH! Soft and cruncht potato and egg, a match made in heaven!

3. Rachel 18 June 2010 at 3:26 pm #

A glorious dish with such wonderful photography! Thanks for sending this over to Weekend Herb Blogging this week. Look for the roundup on Monday.

4. Juliana 18 June 2010 at 9:57 pm #

Nina, this potato dish sure looks fabulous…love the pictures, specially the one with the egg on top 🙂

5. Arnold 19 June 2010 at 12:58 pm #

Now this is what I call food. Wow, the photo of the rosti with spinach and egg looks just great. I would have to prepare double the amount because I would have eaten half of them before I get to serving the family.

6. bellini valli 19 June 2010 at 3:55 pm #

Roesti for me is comfort food. I suppose it is because my mom used to make a version of it when we were kids.Love your version with a fried egg on top Nina.

7. Peter M 19 June 2010 at 10:15 pm #

I want that rosti topped with the meat. Come to think of it, I want a whole plate of them!

8. Marianna 19 June 2010 at 10:37 pm #

nina.. your blog is ALWAYS lookin delish, even though i havent been commenting lately- but thats because ive been out of the blogosphere in general!
    i absolutely love rosti, we used to eat this often when i lived in switzerland…brings back a lot of memories of rosti on winter nights…mmm 🙂 do you know spaetzli also? that was one of those other dishes i remmeber so well along with rosti.

9. Mary 20 June 2010 at 6:06 pm #

What a perfectly delightful recipe, Nina. I will give this a try when my grandson's are visiting. There is some thing about growing boys and potatoes that goes hand in hand :-).. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings…Mary

10. myfrenchkitchen 20 June 2010 at 7:51 pm #

Ich liebe auch!
    I can have any of these now. That lovely poached egg…
    and of course, once again I'm in awe of your mouthwatering photography!
    Ronelle

11. Jan 21 June 2010 at 3:01 pm #

What fantastic pictures (as always) but the last one with the egg – Ooooh I could eat that right now!

12. MeetaK 21 June 2010 at 10:18 pm #

oh yes poached egg and spinach is the best way to enjoy a good rosti. this looks awesome and guess what's for dinner tomorrow, honey? ;o)

13. saveur 22 June 2010 at 4:29 am #

This looks so delicious and your pictures are gorgeous. It reminds me of a big, thin potato pancake!

14. Kitchen Butterfly 22 June 2010 at 7:50 pm #

Oh heaven………love the broken stills oft, almost liquid golden yolk, delicately flavouring and saucing the rosti!!!!!! Reason enough to learn French. or German!

15. Jeanne @ CookSister! 1 July 2010 at 7:37 pm #

Oh… my!! That last picture with the egg is probably the best thing I have seen all day. I am now officially craving rosti!

16. Sheena Mathew 29 June 2013 at 1:32 pm #

The Beef Brisket and Lamb Shanks was a huge success, thank you Nina for sharing your recipes.