November 20, 2017

Spanish Recipe – Fritata with Exotic Mushrooms

Posted on August 19, 2010 by in eggs

I thought a Spanish recipe would be just the thing to give my hubby a bit of a melancholy trip down memory lane of his work/vacation trip to Spain a few years ago. “Let’s move to Spain” has become a phrase we jokingly use to let each other know when we see or hear something upsetting in the news. It is our emergency code to each other for “I am having a tough day!”.
I have been hearing this code quite often in the last few weeks so I thought it was time to treat hubby to a Spanish meal, but …..
After my little stint to the hospital about two weeks ago, I had to make a few lifestyle adjustments. Nothing major, just little changes that will have huge benefits for my health. I drink coffee only when I really want it, not pour a cup every five minutes, just ’cause it is there. I walk about 3-4k everyday and I try and incorporate as much fresh fruit and vegetables in my diet. Now, my family are not picky eaters at all, but too much greenery on their plates and they become a little skeptic. With this Fritata with Exotic Mushrooms, I chopped up just about every vegetable I could lay my hands on. I had mushrooms, red, yellow and green peppers, courgettes and spring onions. Still, the children loved it and they did not even know that they were eating all these vegetables.he thing with a fritata is that you must never overcook the eggs. The eggs must be soft, still wet and wobbly when you take the pan off the heat. the residual heat will cook the eggs further, once you have taken it off the heat.You do not have to limit yourself to my specific flavors, use you favorite vegetables and chop and change to your taste. These are just the basic ingredients.

Fritata with Exotic Mushrooms

1/2 yellow pepper – diced
1/2 red pepper – diced
1/2 green pepper – diced
3 smallish courgettes 0 sliced thinly
a selection of Porcine an Oyster Mushrooms – about 100gr
8 eggs – slightly beaten
100ml milk
1 piece of feta cheese
250 ml mature cheddar

Heat some oil in a skillet and saute the peppers, and mushrooms for about 5 minutes. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and add the milk. Season with salt and pepper. Once your vegetables are slightly softer, add the beaten egg and pour over the vegetables. Turn the stove to the lowest setting. Place a lid on the pan and for about 5-8 minutes, let the egg just set, it can even e wobbly in the middle. Crumble the 2 cheeses over the top and keep the lid on again until it is time to present the food.  Cut in slices and serve with some patatas bravasand a side salad. Needless to say, hubby loved his Spanish meal and I loved the fact that we all got a healthy portion of fresh vegetables.

Tags:

15 Responses to “Spanish Recipe – Fritata with Exotic Mushrooms”

1. bellini valli 20 August 2010 at 4:10 am #

This frittata is a beautiful thing Nina. We certainly hope that all is well:D

2. Rose&Thorn 20 August 2010 at 8:08 am #

I am so on the same page about making small changes to increase your health. I have been trying to encourage one of my workers who has been given a final warning from her doctor – loose it or die. People think they have to starve themselves of everything good, which never works.
    Keep this up – I love this recipe.

3. Marisa 20 August 2010 at 9:14 am #

What an awesome looking fritata! Your kids might not like veggies, but I simply love the colourful look that all those veggies gives to this. Am definitely going to be making this.

PS: Very impressed with your dedication with this lifestyle change. 3 – 4 km? Impressive. I need to get off my butt too!

4. Jan 20 August 2010 at 5:40 pm #

Nina – this fritata is stunning! Fantastic photos too – I could eat it off the screen!

5. My Carolina Kitchen 20 August 2010 at 9:23 pm #

Frittatas are one of our favorites. Yours is gorgeous as is everything you create. I agree with Jan – I could eat it off of the screen.

6. Nina Timm 21 August 2010 at 7:42 am #

val – Thx Val, getting there everyday!!!

rose – Thx, for now I take babysteps…one at a time!!!

marisa – my children love veggies, but this was a lot of veggies and to top it all, the next night they got stirfry!!! It helps to have a partner when walking, great motivation!!!

jan- thank you

sam – thank you Sam, you make me blush!!!

7. mycookinghut 22 August 2010 at 6:00 pm #

My kind of food.. I love frittata !!

8. Pam 22 August 2010 at 7:46 pm #

We love frittata's and yours looks delicious! I am so happy to find your blog with all its good recipes. Now, I will be checking them out!

9. Verdant 24 August 2010 at 3:39 am #

Dit is so vol kleure! Nina, hierdie frittata is 'n werk van kuns.

10. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 28 August 2010 at 4:02 pm #

What an absolutely beautiful frittata, Nina! I am so sorry to read about your 'stint in the hospital'. Hope all is well and continues to be that way!

11. elly 31 August 2010 at 3:29 am #

That is the most gorgeous frittata I've ever seen, Nina! It sounds delicious, too. I love mushrooms.

12. Reginald@CeramicCanvas 31 August 2010 at 1:10 pm #

Yum yum.

I love the flavors in

this fritata. I'm imagining

it would be great made with

Ricotta Salata – would add

a rounded hit of salt to the

dish.

Cheers!

13. Elizabeth 31 August 2010 at 4:35 pm #

Beautiful fritatta! I love the mushrooms and what a sea of vegetables! Good for you for changing your health habits, I know how hard that can be!

14. Kathryn 17 September 2010 at 9:28 pm #

That looks so so good! I LOVE mushrooms. I recently made this portobello mushroom tower and it was so yummy!