July 23, 2014

Best steak I have ever had, really!

Posted on August 30, 2010 by in restaurant reviews

Print Friendly

My family thinks I cook the best steak and I have always thought I CAN cook a mean steak, but let me tell you, on Friday I was knocked right off the podium for “The best steak ever!”. It is very seldom that a meal leaves me speechless, but all I could muster in between bites, were “Mmmmmm, ohhhhh, ahhh”!
Wow, it was really the juiciest, tastiest and most flavorsome piece of meat that I have had in a long time and that says a lot about fillet….
As you will remember, I did a post on Grilling the Perfect Steak not so long ago and I mentioned in that post that fillet was not my favorite cut of beef for grilling. I prefer rump by far. On Friday though, we were invited to the Goatshed on Fairview farm and I ordered the beef fillet which later turned out to be the best choice.( I was not the only one aah-ing and ooo-ing!) The meat was done to perfection. Tender, rare, juicy and perfected by a most flavorful jus and some roasted vegetables.
If you are by now dying to try out that delicious steak or any of the other recipes, please visit theGoatshed on Fairview Farm.
If however you want to try to grill the perfect steak in the comfort of your own home, try my easy marinade or dry spice rub recipes.

Fillet Steak, topped with Goat’s Cheese and Bacon, served with roasted Vegetables and a fruity jus
Other choices on the Goatshed menu
Greek Salad
Springbok Stirfry

13 Responses to “Best steak I have ever had, really!”

1. My Carolina Kitchen 30 August 2010 at 1:45 pm #

You are right – you cook a mean steak. That photo of the fillet is gorgeous and I love the little sprig of rosemary on top. What could be better than goat cheese and bacon with beef?

2. bellini valli 30 August 2010 at 3:25 pm #

I remember having steak at a restaurant in the Best Western in Calgary where they hung their meat for some random number of days until it practically grew mold. It was the most tender steak I have ever eaten and literally melted in yoru mouth. I think that is the secret with a combination of your jus and technique.

3. Packaging Shop 30 August 2010 at 3:55 pm #

I thought I was the best steak maker in the house!! : ). Can't wait till our ship comes in again so we can have me cooking steak just to remind you guys!! The ship coming in isn't to afford the meat (only) its the dish washing costs as I ……..apparently make more dishes than the local take away!
    Love you Nin.
    the HUSBAND.

4. wine&dine in Cape Town 30 August 2010 at 4:20 pm #

mmm sounds amazing. you should try the old school classics at Nelson's eye. haven't been there for a while but a visit there never dissapoints on the meaty side.

5. Mary 30 August 2010 at 4:47 pm #

Now that's a steak! It really looks beautiful Nina. I must admit to a bit of filet envy :-). I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

6. browniegirl 30 August 2010 at 5:01 pm #

And I thank you for that tasty forkful that you shoved into my mouth. I was so sorry then that I didn't order the fillet steak!! Yum Yum delicious! Gorgeous photo Nins……xx

7. undomestikated 30 August 2010 at 8:28 pm #

Ah! It looks glorious! I was supposed to be there but couldn't make it – so jealous right now!

8. Rose&Thorn 31 August 2010 at 10:31 am #

If my carnivores saw this they would eat the screen! It's amazing when you get a great steak you can eat twice as much as you normally would do. Going to show this to Keith – he'll love it!

9. Sharon 31 August 2010 at 10:39 am #

Bloody hell…this looks fabulous!! What a gorgeous piece of meat!! YUMMMY!!!

10. Pam 31 August 2010 at 5:28 pm #

It looks amazing! A drool worthy steak.

11. PinkPolkaDot 1 September 2010 at 4:21 pm #

What a wonderful photo – I am drooling!!!

12. cindy 2 September 2010 at 10:18 am #

*slobber*

13. Jan 2 September 2010 at 1:50 pm #

WOW – that looks fantastic!!
    Ps: Congrats on getting into the top 10 of the awards (I've just had an email from them) can't wait for the results!!
    You really deserve to win Nina I have my fingers x