February 24, 2018

Easy Orange Chocolate Mousse

Posted on November 4, 2010 by in desserts

This easy orange Chocolate mousse was one of the recipes I did for the ClemenGold Challenge a while back. We were asked to come op with a few recipes using ClemenGold Easy Peelers and enter one of them into a competition. Sadly my recipe did not make the cut.
In fact I was quite happy to give up my place on the podium for this delicious recipe!In hindsight I think this would have been a better entry, but I liked the Blue Cheese Risotto with Maple Syrup Honey Comb and I thought everyone would too. Clearly not!
Everyone loves chocolate and orange and if it is combined in one recipe, utter decadence! The idea of this orange chocolate mousse came to me when I tried to think of uses for the ClemenGold Easy Peeler. Ways to use the whole fruit, not only the flesh or the juice. To use orange rind in recipes is nothing new, but I thought what if I use the peel to infuse the chocolate Mousse. Ta-da!!!! Aha moment for me. To make this even easier I used bought Chocolate Mousse(yes, horror upon horror). I decided to give you both versions, the no-effort-version and the little-more-effort-version.

Easy Orange Chocolate Mousse
Servings 8

1 liter Woolworths Chocolate Mousse

8 ClemenGold Easy Peelers or small oranges

2 Tbs orange liqueur(optional)

8 sprigs of mint

zest of 1 orange

Wash the fruit and dry with a clean towel. Cut a small lid off easy orange. Carefully remove all flesh from the inside of the fruit. If using liqueur, fold it into the mousse and for an informal presentation, spoon the mixture into the hollow fruit. Chill for overnight for best effect. Decorate with a sprig of mint and some orange zest.

Orange Chocolate Mousse
Serves 6

1 slab 70% Lindt chocolate
1 tsp grated orange zest
2 Tbs caster sugar

3 eggs, separated

½ cup(125ml) cream
2 Tbs orange liqueur (Grand Manier)

Break chocolate in pieces and melt in a bowl over boiling water. Combine the orange zest, egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until light and creamy.
Add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture and fold in with a spatula until it is properly mixed. In two separate bowls, beat the egg whites until stiff and also the cream until it forms soft peaks. Fold the cream into the chocolate mixture, take care not to over mix. Now do the same with the egg whites. If you are using liqueur, this is the time to also fold it into the mousse. Spoon the mousse into the hollow oranges and chill overnight or for at least 2 hours. Serve with chocolate shavings and a sprig of mint.

Other cold desserts that you might like!

A Cheese Cake in Three dreamy flavors.

Strawberry Delight

Traditional Trifle

15 Responses to “Easy Orange Chocolate Mousse”

1. Anonymous 4 November 2010 at 8:57 am #

I think that we are far too harsh with ourselves for sometimes taking the easier option. I used an Ina Paarman product the other day and felt guilty … but only for a short while. This dessert is one I will definitely be using. Thank you.
    Cindy (theonlycin)

2. Jan 4 November 2010 at 10:12 am #

Two great recipes but I will have to give the second one a go!

3. Marisa 4 November 2010 at 4:59 pm #

Chocolate & orange is a superb combo! Love this new spin presentation on an old classic.

4. SavoringTime in the Kitchen 4 November 2010 at 7:06 pm #

Adorable idea to serve them in the orange shells! I can't wait for Clementine season to get here. Love the combination of chocolate and orange too.

5. Juno 4 November 2010 at 8:27 pm #

Why are you tormenting me, Nina? I don't like pudding much but I love the combination of chocolate and orange. Beautiful. x

6. chocswirl 4 November 2010 at 9:53 pm #

Gorgeous photos! Hmmm… so want choc mousse right now. you're evil nina!

7. Cath 5 November 2010 at 4:39 am #

How good do they look? I would say they would be perfect for a BBQ.

8. Spencer @ Moo-Lolly-Bar 5 November 2010 at 4:39 am #

I love the look of this! And the recipe seems quite easy to make.

9. Bakeolicious 5 November 2010 at 11:23 am #

Fantastic presentation of the chocolate mousse. Chocolate orange mousse has to be one of my favourites.

I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new baking photo gallery showcasing the best baking, desserts and sweets on the web.

10. myfrenchkitchen 6 November 2010 at 4:59 pm #

Mais non Nina…!This is a recipe for ME…we're in winter…it is too good and looks too good…delicious. It reminds me of our colours everywhere now…autumn, so beautiful, like your oanges and mousse…
    Bisous
    Ronelle

11. Jeanne @ CookSister! 8 November 2010 at 5:10 pm #

Clever, clever, clever! It reminds me of a more decadent version of serving lemon sorbet in a lemon rind. I know which one I prefer 😉

12. tobias cooks! 8 November 2010 at 7:53 pm #

Great looking oranges you found there.

13. Peter M 8 November 2010 at 11:24 pm #

Nina, these are adorable in the orange cups!

14. Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen 9 November 2010 at 6:21 pm #

Your presentation is so beautiful! The mousse looks so luscious!

15. Candy 20 January 2012 at 5:27 pm #

Thanks for the recipe and idea! Is wonderful!