September 19, 2018

Potato Salad – Dare I even try to make it?

Posted on December 10, 2010 by in vegetarian

Potato Salad and I…..not compatible! A potato salad that can even remotely compare with that of my sister’s, my mother’s or even my aunt’s, has eluded me for as long as I can remember.
Being a true South African, my husband likes a potato salad that is slightly sweet(from sweetened condensed milk being added) and with lots of mayonaise. The idea of sweetening a potato salad with condensemilk sounds a lot worse than it really is, it is actually quite tasty, but  ……….
it is extremely rich and not at all good for the waistline. Now for all of your who visit this site on a regular basis, will know that we don’t use words like “low fat” or “skim” around here, but sometimes there is a need for a recipe that is slightly ligther and more waistline-friendly than the one my sister or mother makes. When you serve a main dish with a very spicific flavor you also not want this potato salad to overpower the whole meal. I made these Salmon Fish Cakes  from Scrumptious South Africa  recently and I wanted the potato salad to be creamy  and delicious, yet subtle enough to leave the spotlight on the delicious Fish cakes. Lemon, cream cheese and Salmon is a killer combination and therefore I wanted the lemon and cream cheese in the potato salad to accompany the Salmon Fish Cakes.

Before I get to the recipe, just a little about which potatoes to use for potato salad. I think the red skin potatoes are perfect as well as the Yukon Gold potatoes. They do not fall apart when cooked and your salad remains chunky. Recently I found that  fingerling potatoes are also perfect for potato salad. They have a creamy, almost sweet flavor that makes them a nice alternative to white or red potatoes. Hungry yet? Let’s cook!

Potato Salad with Chives and Cream Cheese

1 kg fingerling potatoes or any of the above mentioned types.
1 tub cream cheese
1 x 250 ml sour cream
zest of a lemon
salt and black pepper
chopped chives

Boil the potatoes until they are cooked but still firm. Allow to cool and remove the skins(or not if you so prefer). In a bowl mix all the other ingredients together and when the potatoes are at room temerature, mix the cream cheese mixture in with the potatoes. Serve with the fish cakes, grilled chicken, grilled asparagus or just as a meal on its own.

Other potato dishes that you might enjoy:

Warm Bean and Potato Salad

10 Responses to “Potato Salad – Dare I even try to make it?”

1. Peter 10 December 2010 at 10:13 am #

A potato salad can be "low fat". Instead of sour cream and cream cheese I put in: bacon, onions, chicken stock, gherkins, gherkins water and chicken polony. This is low fat and my Franconian way to cook this salad.

from Germany

Peter

2. Juno 10 December 2010 at 1:28 pm #

Stunning, Nina! I love potato salad in all its forms, but yours looks like a real winner. How did the salmon fish cakes turn out?

3. My Carolina Kitchen 10 December 2010 at 2:33 pm #

Wow. Gourmet potato salad Nina. How lovely and it is perfect with the fish cakes.

4. browniegirl 10 December 2010 at 9:41 pm #

Aaaah yes, delightful potato salad. I adore the stuff myself. Did you grow your own fingerling potatoes Nina?? I cannot find them or red skinned either. And have not ever seen Yukon Gold in SA. Where do you find them?? I make a very similar dressing. But I used Creme Fraiche and cream with a squeeze of lemon, finely chopped dill and dill gherkins, salt and pepper xx

5. Helene 11 December 2010 at 6:01 pm #

I usually make mine with mayonnaise but this looks so good.

6. Marisa 13 December 2010 at 2:16 pm #

I really like your sour cream & chives version of this old favourite! Bet it puts your sister & mother's versions to shame.

7. Ingrid 14 December 2010 at 12:13 am #

Great potatoe salad…But its way to cold for a picnic! 🙂

8. Laura 17 December 2010 at 5:31 pm #

I have a great and healthy version of a creamy potato salad that uses horseradish (http://cookmarked.com/recipe.aspx?eID=KKjnRZAv). The starchy potatoes absorb the spice well and leave it nice and creamy.

9. Bronwyn 3 December 2012 at 8:58 pm #

I would like to find out how many people does your potato salad and your pasta braai salad feed?

• nerinatimm 4 December 2012 at 5:50 am #

Thank you Bronwyn for visiting….I think this salad will easily feed 6 people and it will be quite a generous scoop too, same goes for pasta salad!!