August 18, 2017

Fruity Lamb Kofta on Warm Homemade pitas

Posted on August 4, 2011 by in lamb

To eat a Fruity Lamb Kofta on a homemade pita in real life, you have two choices! You can either spend a fortune and travel to some exotic Mediterranean destination or you can hop down to you nearest supermarket and try to make them yourself. I would sell parts of “me” to visit some exotic destination right now, but  at this moment I will have to be satisfied with the trip down the road…
Mind you, I like visiting my local supermarket to browse around, because there between the aisles, I often find  inspiration that becomes hearty and wholesome meals. Being the mom of two almost-teenagers, I am often faced with their request for take-away food. “Hand food” they sometimes call it. Now, as a foodie, feeding my family over-processed and deep-fried food too often is something I try to avoid, so when I try a recipe for take-aways that they will enjoy, I have a winner!

A packet of lamb mince was my lucky find on a recent trip to the butchery section and although you can make these koftas with beef, lamb is just so much better in this recipe. The little nuggets of apricot goes exceptionally well with the lamb and in a way it reminds you of a typical Cape Malay Sosatie. It becomes perfect teenager “hand food” when you wrap them in warm pitas with lots of fresh salad and Greek yogurt.

Fruit Lamb Kofta
serves 4

500gr lamb mince
1 big onion – grated
about 15 Turkish Apricots

salt/pepper
1 tsp fine cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
fresh coriander – chopped

Method
Mix all the ingredients together and shape into oblong-shaped koftas. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or grill them  in a griddle pan. Make a little salad with shredded lettuce, a few mint leaves, chopped tomatoes and fresh avocado. Serve with koftas with warm pitas, the salad and lots of Greek yogurt.

Go ahead and try some more Mediterranean recipes.

8 Responses to “Fruity Lamb Kofta on Warm Homemade pitas”

1. Jane-Anne 4 August 2011 at 2:38 pm #

These look delicious Nina. I love the way you've presented them on pita bread. Great pix.

2. That Girl 4 August 2011 at 6:46 pm #

Homemade pitas never fail to amaze me.

3. Marisa 6 August 2011 at 6:14 pm #

Love the combo of lamb and apricot in these meatballs – they must taste heavenly! I also recently stumbled upon lamb mince in the supermarket – what a great new flavour idea.

4. Lori Lynn 8 August 2011 at 4:26 am #

I can see why that was a hit Nina.
    Love the lighting in the first large pic, really nice.
    LL

5. PinkPOlkaDot 8 August 2011 at 2:41 pm #

Heavenly – my teenagers will love these!

6. Lauren Hairston 9 August 2011 at 6:04 pm #

Yum! My grocery store has finally started carrying ground lamb–I'll have to give this a try!

7. Riccardo Stermin 4 September 2014 at 7:55 pm #

This was thoroughly enjoyed.The meatballs were nice and light,in the sense that they were hand rolled.First time we have had pita bread served in this manner at home.Only error no mention made about how much coriander but used what I thought would be required.We will have this again.

8. Riccardo Stermin 8 September 2014 at 7:15 pm #

Tried this the other day as per recipe,was awesome.Tonight changed the meat to lean beef after noticing the fat left behind in the baking pan with the lamb.Was terrible do not use beef at all.Lesson learnt.