June 18, 2018

Yes, you can bake cake in an Air Fryer!

Posted on February 21, 2012 by in baked goods

Can you bake in an Air Fryer? If I had a dime for every time I answered this question, I would be able to buy quite a few Air Fryers and give them away for free. I like giving things for free, that is just how I roll! Sadly, I don’t have all those dimes, but  I just want to show you what is possible and give you a quick cake recipe…..for free!

Soft sponge cake with creamy meringue icing, in an Air Fryer…impossible…or not! You all know by now that I am on Philips payroll, right? So Wrong! I just love working with the Air Fryer and the fact that I do not have to switch my oven on, is such a relief. Saving time, saving electricity and not sacrificing on the flavor or taste is just phenomenal.
Enough said, the cake recipe, is the same recipe that I use for a standard vanilla or Victoria Sponge cake. Equal quantities of  flour, butter and sugar, the rest is up to you. The amazing thing here is that you do not have to adapt the recipe to use in the Air Fryer, the only thing you will have to adapt is the size of your pan.
(the new model Air Fryer comes with a nifty little pan!) So whether you  have an Air Fryer or not, try this recipe……few ingredients, one bowl and voila!

Lemon Sponge with Meringue Frosting and Candied Lemons
make 1 double-layered cake – 15cm in diameter
or 1 single layer cake – 23 cm in diameter

250gram self raising flour
250gram caster sugar
250gram butter – room temperature
3 eggs
5 ml baking powder
5 ml vanilla  grated lemon zest

Preheat oven to 180C or the Air Fryer to 160C. Prepare your baking tins by spraying them with Spray ‘n Cook or butter them. Place all the ingredients in the bowl of your mixer and mix at high speed until the mixture is creamy and thick. If you are using the Air Fryer you have to bake 2 cakes, so you will only spoon half  the cake batter into the little pan. Place in the Air Fryer and bake for 15 minutes. The cake should now be soft to the touch and a light sand color. Remove from the Air Fryer,remove from the pan and allow to cool and repeat with the other half of the batter. If you are using the conventional oven, spoon all the batter in a 23cm pan and bake for 20-30minutes or until light brown and soft to the touch.Remove from the baking tins and cool.

Candied Lemons

2 organic lemons(no wax)
125ml sugar
50ml boiling water

To make a sugar syrup, pour the sugar into a small bowl and add the boiling water. Stir to dissolve all the sugar. Keep sugar syrup ready. Slice the lemons into thin slices, dip in the sugar syrup and place on a baking sheet. Bake/dry in the oven 120C for about 30-40 minutes or until lemons are slightly sticky and still chewable. The time varies because of the difference in thickness of the melon slices, so keep an eye on it. You can make these candied lemon slices in the Air Fryer, but I happen to have the oven on for something else so I just popped them in there.

Meringue Frosting
200gr caster sugar
4 egg whites

You need an electric beater or a whisk and strong arms. A metal mixing bowl and a pot with simmering water.
Poor the egg whites and sugar into the metal bowl and place over the simmering water. Make sure the bowl does not touch the water. Beat the egg whites and sugar until it is fluffy and white.and can keep its shape. Spread generously over the cake and top with candied lemons.

What else can you do with a basic Sponge cake?

23 Responses to “Yes, you can bake cake in an Air Fryer!”

1. Katia 22 February 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Air fryer?! This is a new word for me! I'm now checking on line to get some clues… I'm so amazed by the idea and by your recipe. I feel like I've missed a lots of innovations : )

2. Nina Timm 22 February 2012 at 9:44 pm #

I did some recipe development with the product and I can only tell you good things about it!!

3. pauloasiainbox 23 February 2012 at 3:00 am #

Sou um velho chefe de cozinha,mas devo dizer-lhe que todos os dias fico surpreso com suas receitas. Sempre digo que quanto mais simples for a comida ou sobremesa,e os ingredientes de boa qualidade, maior será seu sabor. Estou atento a todas as receitas que tenho recebido de você, e farei grande parte delas em meus eventos.Congratulations Nina!

4. Nina 23 February 2012 at 7:22 am #

pauloasianbox

Thank you so much!I translated your comment and am so flattered, thank you for your support and your daily visits.
    Muito obrigado! Eu traduzi o seu comentário e estou muito lisonjeado, muito obrigado por seu apoio e suas visitas diárias.

5. Nicky 23 February 2012 at 1:11 pm #

Have just purchased the Philips Airfryer. Do you think it saves electricty?. My thermo oven takes around 40 minutes to do baked chips and veg. So I am sure it will save a bit. Please can you tell me where you got your baking tray in SA? If I cannot get a baking tray do you think I could use a tinfoil tray?

6. Nicky 23 February 2012 at 1:11 pm #

7. Nicky 23 February 2012 at 1:11 pm #

8. Nina 23 February 2012 at 3:44 pm #

Hello Nicky, wow, well done. You made a very good purchase. I got the new edition Airfryer with the little try, but before that I used every container possible in my other Air Fryer. Whatever can go in your oven and can fit, will work!!

Good luck, shout if you need me!

9. Maria 17 October 2012 at 2:16 am #

Help. I’ve tried this with 1/2 recipe using my Philips airfryer at 160C for 15 mins. The inside was still uncooked. Added another 10 – 15 mins, it came out semi-hard with inside of the cake still not fully done.

• nerinatimm 17 October 2012 at 8:54 am #

Hello Maria, it is very difficult to say, sometimes flour can be a bit tricky, moist content and such… Did you use the Air Fryer pan or your own container. I used the Air Fryer pan when making these recipes, will try it again today and let you know!

10. Suzette Wessels 7 February 2013 at 11:39 am #

Ek sal graag wil hoor hoe jy hoender sal maak in jou lug-oondjie.

11. Suzette Wessels 7 February 2013 at 2:09 pm #

Ek sal graag wil verneem of daar enige ander resepte vir die Lug-oondjies is, soos byvoorbeeld hoender en gebak.

12. Indira 3 October 2013 at 8:18 am #

Thanks for this page. We love cake & our air fryer. It be a good wedding, x’mas gift etc. I now can confidently bake classic adaptable cakes in my Philips air fryer.

13. Hu Bo 19 December 2015 at 12:49 pm #

I just tried this yummy recipe from your blog and it has come out really yummy!! 🙂
    This is my first bake cake and I am quite happy with the outcome…
    Thanks for sharing this easy recipe 🙂

14. Williams 5 October 2016 at 3:11 am #

wow.I will try to make a bake today.Thank for great recipe!

15. Diana 28 February 2017 at 6:33 pm #

Is it possible to make a cake using box cake mixes?

16. David Air Fryer 18 September 2017 at 11:10 am #

wow I have also a power air fryer but I have no idea cake is also bake in an air fryer after reading this article I really want to bake a cake in the air fryer nice recipe thanks, i recommend this to everyone

17. Cecilia o'Kelly 6 December 2017 at 12:14 pm #

I hope my request is not in vain. I do not have an air fryer but, would dearly love one! Just a question, can one bake a rich fruit cake in an air fryer? I am doing this from South Africa.

18. Cecilia o'Kelly 6 December 2017 at 12:15 pm #

Can one bake a rich fruit cake in the air fryer?

• nerinatimm 21 December 2017 at 1:29 pm #

Ooooo Cecilia, I have never done that, but I am sure you will be able to bake single serving mini cakes in the oven.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 50+ Air Fryer Recipes • The Healthy Kitchen Shop Product Reviews - November 26, 2016

[…] Lemon Sponge Cake with Meringue Frosting and Candied Lemons […]

2. GoWISE USA Air Fryer Giveaway - Meal Planning Mommies - December 8, 2017

[…] Use your air fryer to make Chicken Parmesan, meatballs, steak, grilled fish or vegetables, muffins, cake egg rolls, hard-boiled eggs, and a whole lot more! The manual includes a comprehensive chart with […]