April 8, 2020

Grilled tuna steaks with risotto

Posted on April 2, 2008 by in seafood

Kate of Paved with Good Intentions has picked the five ingredients for the Platinum Chef Challenge an after a few days of pondering over ideas, I came up with this meal.

The ingredients we had to use were: Lemon, leeks, rosemary, capers, cream cheese or cream.

Grilled Yellow fin Tuna steaks with Roasted Leek Risotto and a caper dressing.

4 Tuna steaks, about 3cm in thickness
juice and zest of a lemon
1 Tbs Balsamic Vinegar
5ml chopped rosemary
5ml chopped mint
1/3 cup lemon-infused olive oil.

Marinade steaks for at least 1 hour (I use a Ziploc bag) in the above mentioned marinade.
Heat pan or griddle pan until sisling hot. Cook steaks to your liking – never overcook. Always leave it pink in the middle.

For the risotto, click here:

For the Caper dressing

1 clove garlic, chopped
5 capers, chopped
zest of 1 lemon, chopped
juice of 1 lemon
chopped mint a pinch of salt AND sugar
black pepper
2 glugs of extra virgin olive oil.

Mix everything together and serve on grilled tuna steaks.

I thought the meal was perfectly balanced and the tartness of the capers cut through the richness beautifully.

Ps. My steaks look overcooked, but yellowfin tuna does not have the same pink flesh as bluefin tuna.

18 Responses to “Grilled tuna steaks with risotto”

1. michelle @ TNS 2 April 2008 at 9:25 pm #

those are 5 great ingredients, and one awesome looking dish. roasted leek risotto sounds right up my alley.

2. Jessy and her dog Winnie 2 April 2008 at 9:48 pm #

Five ingredients! Wow looks great!

3. giz 2 April 2008 at 10:12 pm #

Now that looks totally terrific – you’ve done a fantastic job and nicely plated too.

4. Kevin 3 April 2008 at 4:05 am #

That tuna dinner looks really good. Now I am craving a nice tuna steak.

5. Peter M 3 April 2008 at 4:42 am #

Looking good Nina, grilled anything is best and the marinade sounds wonderful for tuna.

6. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 3 April 2008 at 7:08 am #

michelle – thank you, yes, it was quite something to find a suitable recipe.

jessy – thanks for the comment and the visit.

giz – I sometimes wish I had more experience in food plating, but I steal with my eyes here and there..Thx for noticing.

kevin – Yea, I am fortunate that I know a guy with a boat and he brings fresh fish now and then…

Peter – around here we will muster up any excuse for a barbecue.Thx for coming to say hello every day….

7. Rose&Thorn 3 April 2008 at 12:54 pm #

I am totally in a fish mood, as you can see from my posts. Can’t get enough of it.

8. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 3 April 2008 at 1:30 pm #

Roseþ – why not, it is so healthy and delicious!

9. Kate 3 April 2008 at 6:23 pm #

Not to toot my own horn, but the best thing about me is that even if I don’t like an ingredient (like tuna) I can still appreciate what an amazing dish this is and will have to make sure my husband never ever ever sees it for fear he’ll ask me to make it!

Nice work!

10. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 3 April 2008 at 7:12 pm #

kate – many people do not like tuna, because it is either raw or cooked to death. After many attempts, I think I have found a good balance.

11. Mike of Mike's Table 3 April 2008 at 7:41 pm #

That looks delicious and the marinade sounds like it would be great! I need to cook more fish…

12. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 3 April 2008 at 10:19 pm #

mike – the marinade works well with all fish, but strangely also with lamb.

13. Jaime 4 April 2008 at 10:25 pm #

This sounds (and looks) wonderful! I also wanted to do a fish dish when I saw the ingredients for Platinum Chef this time. Unfortunately, my husband is allergic to most fish. I will have to tuck this away for a night when I’m on my own.

14. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 5 April 2008 at 7:26 am #

jaime – what a pity that you have to be a closet fish eater. Thx for the visit.

15. Gina 13 April 2008 at 2:17 pm #

This looks great. I would love to try this recipe. I love tuna and risotto.

16. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 14 April 2008 at 7:39 am #

gina – there is nothing to this dish, really. The tuna’s flavor is bold enough to make it the star of this meal.

17. deLa 18 April 2008 at 11:09 pm #

did you buy the oil already infused or did you do it yourself? i am very interested in learning to infuse oils if you have any tips to share 🙂

18. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 19 April 2008 at 7:10 am #

dela – we have a olive producing farm the make the infused oils. I did not want to re invent the wheel….

You will read all about them here: