September 22, 2019

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Mediterranean

Posted on April 4, 2008 by in Chicken

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with mediterranean

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Mediterranean

My husband thinks chicken is a vegetable and I am constantly trying to find interesting recipes to make his “vegetable” taste like something! I am a novice in the kitchen and terms such as “fusion” and “decontructive” cooking is not something I take much notice of. However, I think I am good with pairing flavors and if a plate of food looks and tastes good, I do not really care if the meat is from Italian origin and the vegetables from the Mediterranean cuisine.

The following meal is such a concoction, because I made couscous with roasted vegetables and the chicken was stuffed with spinach and ricotta and served with a chunky tomato sauce.

For the chicken

4 chicken breast fillets
250 gr spinach
125gr ricotta cheese
salt and pepper .
olive oil for frying
Nutmeg
zest of a lemon

Preheat oven to 180CPut 1 fillet between 2 sheets of cling wrap and use a meat mallet or the side of a saucer to thin out the chicken breast. Remove the plastic and lay down a layer of spinach and then some ricotta cheese. Season well with salt, pepper, lemon zest and nutmeg. Roll up the chicken with the filling and secure with a toothpic. Brown chicken rolls in a bit of oil in a skillet. Transfer to the oven and bake for a further 15 min.

For the tomato

2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
salt, pepper and sugar
olive oil for frying onion and garlic

Fry onion and garlic in olive oil. Add tomato and seasoning. Cook until thick and not watery. Add herbs(thyme or oregano)

For the couscous

Make couscous according to packet instruction.
Roast some veggies of your choice and mix with couscous.Season well

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Mediterranean

15 Responses to “Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Mediterranean”

1. Peter M 4 April 2008 at 4:33 pm #

Nina, one of most basic cooking principles is “if it grows together, it goes together”.

Simple, compatible and delicious.

2. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 4 April 2008 at 5:07 pm #

Thx Peter, you always just know how to word my thoughts. It was a very tasty meal though!.

3. Kate 4 April 2008 at 5:12 pm #

One day I’ll be brave enough to attempt stuffed chicken.

4. Lore 4 April 2008 at 5:15 pm #

Your chicken is simply mouthwatering! Funny that your husband thinks chicken is a veggie, I tend to think it’s the only meat for me. You made me realize I’ve never used nutmeg with chicken before, only with potatoes.

5. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 5 April 2008 at 7:28 am #

kate – it is so simple that you could do it right now.

lore – the nutmeg goes well with the spinach and ricotta, but it is only a small grating, though.

6. Emiline 5 April 2008 at 8:38 am #

Are you sure you didn’t bring this home from a restaurant?

This looks great….full of flavors.

7. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 5 April 2008 at 2:25 pm #

emiline – thanks I appreciate your kindness and I often bring ideas home from a restaurant……

8. RecipeGirl 5 April 2008 at 7:32 pm #

Novice in the kitchen? I don’t think so! This looks fabulous 🙂

9. Jessy and her dog Winnie 5 April 2008 at 9:09 pm #

Chicken is a veggie? Lol. That combination sounds really yummy!

10. Chef Erik 5 April 2008 at 9:42 pm #

Looks great! I bet it would go well with halibut as well. I love couscous!!!

11. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 5 April 2008 at 10:24 pm #

recipe girl – it’s true…..

jessy – It really was yummee!

chef erik – I am intimidated by a chef’s presence on my blog. Thx for the tip.

12. Kevin 5 April 2008 at 11:42 pm #

That looks tasty! Nice presentation.

13. matt wright 9 April 2008 at 1:09 am #

You could also try wrapping the chicken breasts in proscuitto too, and lightly pan-searing it, then bunging it in the oven.

To me, chicken is so lean that it needs a bit of fat, and proscuitto provides that.

14. Marianna 16 April 2008 at 3:00 pm #

This can only be good, I love the ingredients you used here!!

15. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 16 April 2008 at 5:53 pm #

Marianna – I love welcoming a new face on my site.