September 28, 2020

Baking bread.

Posted on April 5, 2008 by in baked goods

bread

The smell of homemade bread, they say can sell a house…..at least I’ve heard that one from an estate agent years ago. Maybe she was a very desperate estate agent at the time, but there is something to be said about the smell of freshly baked bread when you walk into a house or bakery.

In our South African culture, giving someone a fresh loaf of bread that you have baked yourself far surpasses a bunch of flowers or a box of chocolates.
People generally are frightened of working with yeast and the whole process of kneading, leavening and waiting is just too much for most people, but I’m going to show you my way and trust me, if I can, everyone can.

bread

This recipe yields 2 HUGE loaves

2,5kg flour (play around using different flours such as wholewheat, white, cake or a combo)
20 gr instant yeast
a closed handful of salt( +- 1Tbs)
a handful of sugar
2 liters strong lukewarm water
1/2 cup melted butter of vegetable oil

1. Place flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a big bowl (Jamie oliver does the ring of flour on the work- surface- thing, but this recipe is too big.)

2. Mix water and butter/oil.

3. Pour into flour mix and start kneading with your one hand until it all comes together.

4. Now, start to knead, pouring a little oil on your hands and working it until you have a firm ball of dough.

5. Cover with plastic and a blanket and place in warmest room you can find.

6. After about 30-4o minutes, check to see if the dough has risen enough. If not, leave for another 10-15 minutes.

PREHEAT OVEN TO 180 C

7. Once the dough has risen enough, rub some oil on your hands and give it another good kneading.

8. Form into 2 big loaves and fill bread pans about 1/2 full.

9. Leave again to rise until pans are 3/4 full.

10. Bake for 1 hour or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. (adjust time for smaller loaves.)

I use this dough for bread, bread rolls, pizza etc.
Once you have mastered this recipe, try different flavors, make cinnamon rolls, garlic and herb rolled bread, picnic loaves (will post in future).

Β bread

Tags: , , ,

21 Responses to “Baking bread.”

1. eliza 6 April 2008 at 1:24 am #

your bread looks delicious and fluffy!

2. giz 6 April 2008 at 4:11 pm #

Absolutely delicious looking and couldn’t be nicer than with a big glob of butter and preserve – heaven.

3. noble pig 6 April 2008 at 4:29 pm #

Oh my, those loaves are a work of art!

4. Oh for the love of food! 6 April 2008 at 5:33 pm #

Hi there Nina! These Loaves look AMAZING! I’d take a loaf of these over Flowere and Chocolates anytime!

Thanks for dropping by and for the lovely compliment ;o)

5. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 6 April 2008 at 8:00 pm #

eliza – yeah, a few things as comforting as a slice of hot, fluffy bread…

giz – it is amazing how us foodies compare heaven with something edible.

noble pig – with this post I wanted to show people that it is within everyone’s reach to produce works for art.

oh for the love of food – THANK YOU!!!

6. Kate 6 April 2008 at 9:07 pm #

I really love the idea of giving bread – it really is so much more meaningful than flowers, which can be picked up at a grocery store on a moments notice. Fresh bread requires forethought and a good deal of time on the baker’s part.

7. Angela 7 April 2008 at 12:08 am #

I’m definitely making this when I go to sell my condo. Bravo! This looks amazing.

8. Peter G 7 April 2008 at 12:54 am #

Nothing bats freshly baked bread! You’ve done really well with those loaves Nina!

9. Jessy and her dog Winnie 7 April 2008 at 2:33 am #

Nice bread! I love to make bread, there is nothing like bread fresh out of the oven!

10. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 7 April 2008 at 6:43 am #

kate – I do not want to shoot myself in the foot here by saying I don’t like fresh flowers, God forbid that hubby gives me a loaf on my bithday – he’d have to buy, because he can’t bake….

angela – you go for it…..

peter g -Thx for the kind compliment.

jessy – you are so right..

11. Emiline 7 April 2008 at 10:54 am #

I think that real estate agent is right! I’m going to use this tip in the future.

Your bread looks great. You can make bread anytime you want, because I love reading about it. And eating it.

12. Jaime 7 April 2008 at 11:28 am #

beautiful loaves! i’ve heard that baking cinnamon rolls will really sell a home πŸ˜‰

13. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 7 April 2008 at 11:52 am #

emiline – yeah, baking bread is very therapeutic.

jaime – …and also frying onion, but that’s a story for another day.

14. canarygirl 7 April 2008 at 1:35 pm #

Ooooh, those loaves look just delicious!! I am yeast challenged, but I may buck up and give this one a go…I’ve been thinking about my great grandma a lot lately, she used to make the best homemade bread…Yours looks an awful lot like hers! πŸ™‚

15. taste memory 7 April 2008 at 7:09 pm #

oh pretty loaves of bread!

i am lush for bread + esp. home baked bread and that looks like apricot or peach jelly….delicious.

yes i’d prefer a home baked loaf of bread over flowers please….;-)

16. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 7 April 2008 at 9:22 pm #

canarygirl – you know, the pans I use for my bread, belonged to my gran and when she passed away, I was the fortunate one to get the pans, so I think of her often when I bake.

taste memory – thx, I appreciate your kind comment. I think us foodies will always choose food over flowers and chocolates.

17. kat 11 April 2008 at 5:54 pm #

beautiful bread! I used to find it so intimidating to make but now that I’ve started we almost never buy bread!

18. Neen 11 April 2008 at 8:52 pm #

I feel all warm and fuzzy at the thought of receiving or giving homemade bread as a house gift. I would just be worried that around here my hostess would look at me funny πŸ˜‰

19. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 12 April 2008 at 12:42 pm #

kat – I’d love to bake every day, but with the price of electricity in SA it is almost impossible.

neen – Wow, always good to welcome a new face.Thanks for stopping by and the kind comment.What’s wrong with your hostess?

20. Killdaggy 28 October 2010 at 11:25 am #

Pacquiao vs Margarito

Watch out for the big event in the world of boxing!this would be the nice fight!don't miss it!

21. Rosemary Gough 10 June 2013 at 7:10 am #

A good basic bread recipe is worth it’s weight in gold. I have one and as you say – nothing can stop you once you have got over the fear of yeast. Lovely bread.