March 8, 2021

Homemade Hamburger

Posted on April 14, 2008 by in beef

We do not eat burgers often – no reason in particular, but I think it is because none of the processed, store bought patties get my stamp of approval. I felt like a hamburger tonight and wanted to make a patty with a meaty flavor, but it had to by soft and succulent.
I got crackin’ in the kitchen and I was pleasantly surprised with my result.

Homemade Hamburgers

500gr minced beef topside.
1 small onion grated
1tsp salt
10ml coriander seeds, dry roasted and ground
1 Tbs Worcester sauce
3 slices white bread, soaked in milk for a couple of minutes. Then squeeze out all milk and add to all other ingredients.

Mix all ingredients and form into patties. Fry in a hot pan or on a griddle pan.

I served my burgers with lettuce, tomato, peppadews and avocado.

The verdict from the family……..

……..delicious, mom!!!

Tags:

24 Responses to “Homemade Hamburger”

1. Daziano 15 April 2008 at 1:59 am #

Hi! Living in North America now I must say that I love burgers. I really do. And yours look delicious!!!

2. Chef Erik 15 April 2008 at 2:31 am #

Coriander seeds rock! I’m sure it kicked up the burger. What gave you the idea? Those chips look very yummy!

3. Peter M 15 April 2008 at 2:36 am #

Nina, when the burger is homemade, little can beat it, really.

I’ll have to try the coriander seeds on my next burger sampling.

4. Vicarious Foodie 15 April 2008 at 3:05 am #

These look great! I’ve never had coriander seeds in a burger–must try that soon.

5. Ally 15 April 2008 at 3:44 am #

Coriander, sounds wonderful! I love how pretty your plate looks and I wish I could take a bite out of that big ol burger. Potatoes look lovely as well. : )

6. Kevin 15 April 2008 at 4:23 am #

Making your own burgers is always fun. Just looking at those photos…I am now craving a burger… Is that sweet chili sauce garnishing the plate? Sweet chili sauce would be an interesting condiment for a burger.

7. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 15 April 2008 at 4:43 am #

daziano – thanks for stopping by.

chef erik – here in South Africa we have “biltong” which is similar to jerky and a very important spice in biltong is dried coriander.

peter m – the coriander is not an overpowering taste, but gives a wonderful flavor to both lamb and beef.

vicarious foodie – they were indee.

ally – yea, I am a sucker for a pretty plate of food.

kevin – the sweet chili sauce works well on a burger. I am not a great fan of tomato ketchup.

8. breadpitt 15 April 2008 at 6:12 am #

the dish on our blog looks lovely, my sliver is dripping now….

9. Mochachocolata Rita 15 April 2008 at 7:42 am #

i always love a big, juicy, hearty burger…if possible with loads of melted cheese….this looks so yummy! the corriander seeds ^_^ is a nice touch

10. RecipeGirl 15 April 2008 at 7:48 am #

You did a nice job with them. I’ve never thought to put coriander seeds in a burger – yum!

11. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 15 April 2008 at 12:05 pm #

breadpitt – thank you, your comments mean a lot to me.

mochachocolata rita – I thought the avo was rich enough otherwise we would also have cheese.

recipegirl – try it, you’ll be amazed.

12. helen 15 April 2008 at 1:19 pm #

There’s just nothing quite like a burger is there?! Delicious home-made comfort food.

13. Kate 15 April 2008 at 7:32 pm #

We always keep some ground turkey in the freezer for easy burger nights. Like you I’m not a fan of the processed patties.

14. Laurie Constantino 15 April 2008 at 11:28 pm #

So you and Peter are both stacking up potatoes in a beautiful pile – great idea! I also love the hot sauce dots and think I would want some of that sauce on my burger. Yum.

15. noble pig 16 April 2008 at 12:49 am #

We are having burgs tonight as well…I’m in the mood!

16. aria 16 April 2008 at 3:43 am #

that is one heck of a beautiful burger – the kind we here lust after!

mmmmmmmm me want burgernow

17. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 16 April 2008 at 5:36 am #

helen – yes,a little effort with a lot of taste

kate – mmm, I haven’t tried turkey before…

laurie – yeah, great minds think alike, but I think his is far better.

noble pig – go on and enjoy..

aria – it was quite a mouthful!

18. giz 16 April 2008 at 5:46 am #

Funny how we seem to get caught up in making new and interesting recipes and there’s nothing wrong with that. The burger is such a tried and true recipe (hey – this would have been a good one for the roundup). Sometimes I really just want a simple old burger with lots of fixings.

19. Emiline 16 April 2008 at 7:24 am #

Mmm…that’s a good looking burger. So bright and colorful. Do people really buy already made hamburger patties? Why?!

20. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 16 April 2008 at 7:30 am #

giz – I should have, but it was such a simple meal and yet I’ve had such amazing response from it.

emiline – you would be amazed how many people just eat to live and processed patties to them tastes the same….I’m sad for them!

21. nicisme 16 April 2008 at 12:59 pm #

We don’t eat beef so I have to cook veggie burgers – but one can still drool for sure!

22. rkhooks.net 19 April 2008 at 1:35 pm #

OMGoodness! That hamburger looks sooooooo delish I almost bit into my screen 😉 I’m going through a bit of a hamburger fetish at the moment. I have to feed my addiction every couple of days. It’s awful!

23. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy 21 April 2008 at 7:03 pm #

There is nothing humble about that burger! It looks breat. I like the seasonings that you used. I love peppadews too. We just started getting them here.

24. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 21 April 2008 at 7:32 pm #

nicisme – we tried living without meat for a while, but I guess we are just carnivores by nature….

rkhooks – there are few things as pleasant as biting into a good burger.

stickygooeycreamychewy – great that you can get peppadews now. They can lift the simplest meal.