September 22, 2019

Pork and beef to drool over.

Posted on April 14, 2008 by in pork

Weekends are for families and friends to get together and I am privileged to be a part of such a tradition. What would a family gathering be without the food and in my family planning the menu takes preference to any other planning..

This weekend the “meating” was at my house and although we enjoyed many dishes, I will share two meat dishes with you.

First we had a Leg of Pork

Preheat oven to 200C

+- 3kg Leg of Pork(I do not remove the rind)

Place in casserole and season well.
I used rosemary, garlic, chili flakes, dry coriander, salt and pepper and Worcester Sauce.

I roasted my LOP in a closed casserole in a very hot oven for about 2 hours. We then left for church and I turned the oven down to 100 C and it cooked slowly for another 3 hours.

I then removed the rind, cut it into strips and placed in a very hot oven until crispy.

I then smeared some thick sweet soy sauce over the LOP(Leg og pork) and finished it off in a hot oven.

The meat literally fell of the bone. It was impossible to cut, but boy, oh boy it was delicious!

We then move on to a beef dish.
Around here we ask the butcher for a piece of flat rib, boneless brisket, Jacob’s Ladder(with bones in). It is not endorsed by the Heart Foundation though, because it is quite a “fatty” cut. But we all know that the flavor is in the fat.

This was also about 3 kg of beef.
A few heads of garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary and oregano.
Cook in closed casserole for about 3 hours on 180 C. Then open the casserole and let the meat just brown on the top.

This is truly two of my favorite meat cuts and they were done to perfection, if I have to say so myself. We also had sweet potato, savory rice, green bean stew and roasted potatoes, but let me rather move on the the grand finale……

For dessert I made this divine Little Chocolate pots.

300gr 70% chocolate buttons
1 litter cream
200 gr caster sugar
4 egg yolks

Melt chocolate and cream together until almost boiling.
Cream sugar and egg yolks together until light and fluffy.
Slowly add chocolate mixture to egg mixture and pour into little pots or ramekins.
Cool overnight. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprig of mint. The 70% chocolate makes this dessert – dense, not-so-sweet and a perfect end to a great meal. (Increase the sugar, if you making this for children, my son loved the bitterness of the chocolate, but my daughter not – you decide….)

Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one. ~Jane Howard

Tags: , ,

29 Responses to “Pork and beef to drool over.”

1. Grogal 14 April 2008 at 6:03 am #

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2. Neen 14 April 2008 at 1:43 pm #

Love the Jane Howard quote. D has a family that, while not big in numbers, definitely fills up the room. Reading your post reminded me of just how much I miss them (and how we really should buy tickets for our next trip home!)

3. Peter M 14 April 2008 at 1:54 pm #

Nina, with a meal like this…I wouldn’t miss one invite. Good food is a wonderful way to keep families eating together. Sadly, the fast paced lives we live impedes these gatherings.

4. Maryann 14 April 2008 at 2:53 pm #

Your photos are always wonderful, Nina 🙂

5. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 14 April 2008 at 3:22 pm #

neen – You’re right, we do not always appreciate what we have..

peter m – consider yourself invited….

maryann – compared to some of our fellow bloggers and yours, I feel pretty intimidated.

6. Jan 14 April 2008 at 4:01 pm #

Nina – your food looks delish – I especially like the pork.
    The chocolate pots I will make when my husbands mum and dad next come round to dinner. They are both chocolate lovers!

7. Kate 14 April 2008 at 5:49 pm #

I went to a party this weekend, and on the dessert table were chocolate pots – I couldn’t have more than a spoonful because they were so rich and sweet, but they were the hit of the party!

8. kat 14 April 2008 at 6:20 pm #

both meat dishes look fabulous & that is some great photography of the chocolate pots

9. taste memory 14 April 2008 at 7:00 pm #

I am trying to juice over here and now I’m definitely ‘drooling’ over the sticky, sweet + savory pork dish and now your flaunting the rind! Oh my – pork rinds baked to a crisp?! I am in for…..!

This is gorgeous and luv how you are so sensitive to your ‘plating’

Oh and there’s chocolate pots too?!

10. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 14 April 2008 at 7:10 pm #

jan – if you want a lighter texture in the mousse, take say, 1 cup of the cream, beat stiff and fold into chocolate mixture.

kate – I think you must leave a little pot in the fridge and take a spoonful now and then.

kat – thanks, yes, they were both delicious,

taste memory – you always leave such interesting comments.Thank you so much!.

11. Katie 14 April 2008 at 7:33 pm #

Well! You got me! I’m *definitely* drooling!

12. cook eat FRET 14 April 2008 at 8:44 pm #

whoa
    WHOA…

SERIOUSLY AMAZING MEAL

i gained 2 lbs reading this post…

13. Mansi Desai 14 April 2008 at 8:50 pm #

omg Nina! that dessert look stunning, and nice presentation too! I saw this custard recipe on Good Eats last week and now your choc pots are tempting me!:)

14. AnticiPlate 14 April 2008 at 9:10 pm #

Those chocolate desserts look right up my alley! I usually like to make a molten chocolate cake in my little ramekins, but I might have to try this more elegant version.

15. Lina 14 April 2008 at 9:47 pm #

wow! All of you food looks amazing!

16. Mike of Mike's Table 14 April 2008 at 10:50 pm #

This looks like quite an indulgent and hearty meal. Your lucky guests!

17. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 14 April 2008 at 10:59 pm #

katie – sorry….

cook eat fret – thanks for the comment and the visit.

mansi desai – the dessert was stunning.

anticiplate – you go right ahead.

lina – always good to see a new face.

mike – no, I am the lucky one to have such a wonderful family…

18. Ally 15 April 2008 at 3:47 am #

Drool is right, everything looks wonderful. I would love a taste!

19. Kevin 15 April 2008 at 4:25 am #

That pork looks so moist and tender and fall apart good! And the beef and chocolate pots…mmm…

20. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 15 April 2008 at 5:07 am #

ally- come back for more…

kevin – the pork roasted for almost 6 hours, you bet it was falling off the bone.

21. Flanboyant Eats 15 April 2008 at 6:23 am #

this is so lovely! i’ll be trying… especially since it sounds so easy!

22. Mochachocolata Rita 15 April 2008 at 7:43 am #

drool…drool…drool…..drooled so much more than expected 😉

23. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 15 April 2008 at 12:09 pm #

flanboyant eats – you go right ahead, you’ll love it.

rita – You try it, then drooling is unnecessary.

24. kittie 15 April 2008 at 2:38 pm #

I love beef… and I love chocolate. Pork I can take or leave… Which makes it very strange that it is the pork dish that has me drooling the most!!!

Great meal!

25. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 15 April 2008 at 2:43 pm #

I think it is because it roasted for sooo long, that it took the wild pork taste away.

26. EAT! 16 April 2008 at 3:53 am #

the whole meal looks amazing!!

27. glamah16 16 April 2008 at 4:39 am #

Wow! It all likes like a fine restaurant with the palting, etc. The meats so appetizing. My Cs would love a crispy leg of pork.Yum.

28. We Are Never Full 16 April 2008 at 11:54 pm #

Since I’m more of a dinner than dessert person, I have to say, that pork is the main star to me! I can’t get over how crispy and delcious the skin looks. I like the technique you used of taking it off later on and heating it in the oven then. Great pictures of the dessert too!

29. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 17 April 2008 at 5:20 am #

we are never full – I found this way this skin has a lot more flavor from sitting on top of the meat during the roasting period.