November 18, 2018

Cape Malay Curry

Posted on April 23, 2008 by in lamb

Curry – you either love it, or hate it. I often hear people say that they do not eat curry, but cannot help to wonder if they know just how many kinds of curry there really are in this world. Here in the Southern tip of the world we have many different varieties, but for me the Cape
Malay Curry has to be one of the best.
It is a sweet, fruity curry and far more palatable than the strong Indian curries for instance. ( I am sure that not all Indian curries are hot, but around here they really are not shy with the hot stuff.)
My mom has cooked her curry like this for many years and I have cooked and catered with this recipe so many times and I have always ended up with everyone asking for seconds. I searched for a while to find the origin of this recipe, but I think it is one of those recipes that has been carried from generation to generation and each one adds their own touch. So then here is….

Cape Malay Curry

1 kg mutton – neck or knuckles (or beef cubes)
1 Tbs curry powder
1 thumb size piece root ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp turmeric
1 stick cinnamon
1 star anise
1 medium onion, chopped.
1 red pepper, diced
2 Tbs vegetable oil.
2 cups vegetable or mutton stock
2 Tbs tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste

Sautee onion, garlic and all spices in oil.
Add meat and brown.
Add stock and put lid on.
Simmer until meat is tender. Add potatoes and cook until done.

Now make the following sauce

1 level Tbs flour
1 tsp curry powder
3 Tbs chutney
3 Tbs good Tomato ketchup
3 Tbs vinegar
3 Tbs apricot jam

Sit sauce into stew and cook through. Add seasoning to taste. Serve with fluffy white rice and coriander.

For a typical Malay curry dish, click here.

19 Responses to “Cape Malay Curry”

1. Mochachocolata Rita 23 April 2008 at 9:05 am #

I love Malay, Indonesian and Thai curry the most ^_^

this looks gorgeous!

2. Peter G 23 April 2008 at 9:28 am #

I remember Cape MAlay curry when I was in Capetown. Yours looks really delicious Nina. I finally have a recipe for it.

3. kat 23 April 2008 at 6:05 pm #

Oh that sounds good. I have a problem with Indian curries often being too spicy for me.

4. Kate 23 April 2008 at 6:15 pm #

I’ve had sweet curries before, but not with fruit! Keep up the experimenting with curries – as you pointed out there are so many different kinds you’re bound to find one that’s not too spicy. Of course, you could always just make your own 😉

5. Sarah 23 April 2008 at 6:17 pm #

This recipe just looks delicious. I love curry, but have only recently been experimenting with it myself. I always love coming across new recipes to try out.

6. glamah16 23 April 2008 at 10:01 pm #

I love any type of curry. This one looks divine.

7. Jan 23 April 2008 at 10:29 pm #

Nina – Your curry sounds lovely – Do you think it would be ok with chicken?
    What is everyone’s opinion?….Just that the husband prefers chicken.
    Thanks in advance.

8. Lina 24 April 2008 at 1:34 am #

mmmmmmm! I love curry~!

9. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 24 April 2008 at 5:11 am #

rita – I love Thai curry too….

peter g – Aahhh, that must be a good memory…

kate – this is fragrant but not at all hot….

kate – that’s what cooking is all about, finding what works for you.

sarah – this recipe will make you want more.

glamah – thanks

jan – absolutely fine with chicken. Go on, give it a go.

lina – mmmm, me too

10. Kevin 25 April 2008 at 2:08 am #

I really like curries of all types form Japanese, to Thai to Indian to British. This Cape Maly Curry sounds really good! I really like the idea of using chutney and apricot jam. I will have to try this. Bookmarked!

11. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy 25 April 2008 at 6:49 am #

This looks like a great dish! I’ve never had Malay curry, but I love all kinds of curries. I’d love to try it. Actually, I made a curry for dinner tonight!

12. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 25 April 2008 at 7:25 am #

kevin – often when I cater people would NOT take the curry option, because of their preconceived ideas, but when I call it a fruity dish, they love it……

stickygooeycreamychewy – how do you make yours… I will check on your site….is it posted, yet?

13. Fearless Kitchen 18 June 2008 at 4:55 pm #

This is really interesting. I’ve never seen ketchup (or apricot jam) in a curry recipe before, but I’d bet they make a great addition!

14. Anonymous 20 September 2010 at 6:05 am #

Hi,

Am wanting to make this dish for friends who are baby sitting for us. I am South African living in Australia and enjoy introducing food from home I used to enjoy myself. Look forward to attempting this, but was wondering if it can be done in a slow cooker?

Thanks
    Clint

15. Cooki 22 March 2011 at 7:18 am #

Very nice presentation!my fave curry!

16. Desiree 4 April 2014 at 11:24 am #

Nina I just discovered your site . Im like a child I dont know which recipe I should try first .

17. Ambelene 1 May 2014 at 3:54 pm #

Dis my soort kerrie die Nina dankie vir die deel van die familie resep

18. Doreen Seaborne 1 May 2014 at 4:40 pm #

Trusted and tried recipe. Will save this one

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Oriental Beef Casserole - a stew in disguise. - My Easy Cooking - June 27, 2018

[…] to order take-away. Curry is the only “stew” he is willing to eat. Then it has to be my sweet mutton curry and not a strong Indian Curry. A tall order for someone who loves stews, or one-pot-wonders as I […]