May 15, 2021

Fish and Watercress Pie

Posted on April 25, 2008 by in seafood

I put myself under immense pressure everyday to present something interesting on this site as well as on my family’s table and sometimes when I run out of time I cannot help to wonder….”Why the heck am I doing this.” Thank God that I have a very appreciative husband and children and then of course YOU, the hard critics, who always reward me with such positive comments. Then last night I found this wonderful surprise from Taste Memory – an E AWARD!!!.

I love going to her site because her writing and commenting are always special and uplifting and I always feel that she has put a lot of thought into whatever it is that she has to say. Thank you so much, my day is officially “A GREAT ONE!!!!!”
I would like to present the following people with this award. I know that many of you do not like the MEME game and these awards and that is fine if you prefer not to play along, but it is just my way of saying: “I love your site and go there daily, honestly!!!!”

1. Kalofagas – Peter, you have said specifically that you do not like these games and things, but I have learned so much about the Greek culture and I applaud the effort that you put into every post. You are an excellent cook…

2. Foodstories – Helen, you introduce me to new flavors every time you cook. You make me think outside the food box and I am always anxious to see what you have created. I love your photography too.

3. Notes from my food diary – This site is crisp, fresh-looking and the photography inspires me. I also like the informative posts and interesting flavor combinations.

4. Swirl and scramble – Mariana, I look at everyone of your photographs and I marvel at how talented you are. Your pictures come alive and your recipes are interesting, innovative and very informative.

5. Chef’s gone wild – Zenman, you know spices and it is amazing to see how you spice up every meal. I think you are an excellent cook and eagerly await your recipes every day.

So, there you are, it was hard to choose just 5, because all the blogs I visit on a daily basis deserve to be awarded, but there is always a next time.

Feel free to play along and pass this award and link it back to Nina’s Kitchen

Now on to today’s post. I have mentioned some time ago that my sister and I know a man(who knows a man, who knows a man….jokes) who owns a big boat and he catches fish for a living
and then supplies to restaurants and such. When he has fulfilled his obligation to the restaurants and there is fish left, he phones us and we can collect anything from, blue and yellow fin tuna, cod, King Clip, hake, yellow tail ect. Often when he phones, I have done the cooking for the day and then I do not know what do do with the fish, but he ensured me the last time, that if he vacuum pack it for us right away and we freeze it, we will still have fish-as-good-as-fresh whenever we need it. Needless to say, I was a bit skeptical about this, but willing to try. Last night I cooked some of the fish and it was beautiful – soft, flaky and still full of fresh sea flavors. I will show the fish post later, but for know, to celebrate my Award, I want to share with you this recipe. (By the way, I have searched a bit and it looks as if a good substitute for King Clip would be White Perch or any firm white fish.)

Fish and watercress pie

2 sheets of phyllo pastry
melted butter
200gr cooked fish – I used King Clip
a handful of watercress, chopped
2 teaspoons chopped dill
1 potato, diced and cooked until soft.
Salt and pepper
Lemon juice

“Paint” the 2 sheets of phyllo with melted butter and place on top of each other.
Mix all other ingredients together(do not over mix). Place in the middle of pastry and make a bundle.

Bake for 15 minutes at 170 C.

I served mine with Greek yogurt, mixed with a dollop of mayonnaise and chopped dill and finished it off with some salsa verdi.

Tags:

31 Responses to “Fish and Watercress Pie”

1. Jan 25 April 2008 at 8:20 am #

Nina – Those parcels look fantastic. I want to make some!

2. Mochachocolata Rita 25 April 2008 at 10:21 am #

ahahaha! goshhh i felt exactly the same way (about having to choose just very limited people to pass the award to)…and boy that is one great looking parcel! πŸ™‚

3. Peter M 25 April 2008 at 1:02 pm #

Nina, your fish phyllo parcels are a showstopper…a great way to start a dinner service…what a photo!

As for the award, I don’t despise them and I certainly appreciate the effort you and some others have made to step aside and mention some bloggers in your posts. Thank you SA Queen!

4. nicisme 25 April 2008 at 1:05 pm #

Well deserved award Nina, your blog is excellent!
    I know what you mean about interesting things to put on your blog, most of the things we eat I never photograph – it looks more like it’s been slopped on the plate.
    Your fish parcel is beautiful, I love the way you put the sauce around it.

5. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 25 April 2008 at 2:48 pm #

jan – you’ll be amazed how easy it is.

rita – thanks, I see you’ve jumped me to award Peter.

Peter – you’re right, it will make a good starter or dessert – your decision is in the filling.

nicisme – thank you, I appreciate your visit and comments.

6. thepassionatecook 25 April 2008 at 3:14 pm #

this looks wonderful… something i will try very soon! what a beauty.

7. Ben 25 April 2008 at 4:29 pm #

Nina, I think all your efforts in the kitchen are well rewarded when your family thanks you for a great meal. That’s the greatest reward of all because we do this out of love for them, right?

Congratulations on the award and the great looking dish. That picture is amazing!

8. That Girl 25 April 2008 at 6:26 pm #

I know I always say this, but one of the things I love about your recipes is the simplicty!

9. Lori Lynn 25 April 2008 at 8:09 pm #

What a lovely little fish package!

Nina – It was a pleasure to read your admiration for other bloggers. Your sincerity is touching.

10. farida 26 April 2008 at 12:48 am #

Nina, congrats on the E Award! You deserve it!! Oh, My, these parcels look gorgeous! Delicious!!!!! Great picture.

11. Jessy and her dog Winnie 26 April 2008 at 4:51 am #

Wow beautiful presentation!

12. kat 26 April 2008 at 4:28 pm #

such an beautiful presentation!

13. taste memory 26 April 2008 at 6:00 pm #

what a tidy little package that it is…nina, I can already taste the crunch of that pastry alongside the savory fish + potato tidbits~YUM.

You are so kind, thanks for the ‘uplifting’ words as well, totally encouraging moi!….YOU totally deserve this all time “E”!!!

14. kittie 27 April 2008 at 9:40 am #

Congrats on the award Nina!

I love the look of this dish – so simple, yet I can imagine it tasting so good – and so many variations could be possible!

15. katiez 27 April 2008 at 9:58 am #

How pretty!
    I love the way you gt your fish – I wish mon mari liked fish more, but, instead, he is getting more and more ‘reluctant’ to eat it. I force it on him once a week, but I don’t think I could get by with more… And, yes, I do get creative with it…

16. Kate / Kajal 27 April 2008 at 6:45 pm #

ooh that phyllo parcel looks so amazing. i’ve been trying to get my hands on some, but its impossible to find some in west africa.
    good job, gr8 flavours.

17. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 28 April 2008 at 9:06 pm #

the passionate cook – you must try it soon. It is surprisingly easy.

ben – you’re so right. There is no satisfaction greater than their appreciation.

that girl – beauty is in the simple things.

lori lynn – I really do feel humbled by all of this….

farida and jessy – thanks for the kind comments

kat – thanks

taste memory – as always – I am inspired.

kittie – as I have said, the filling is the surprise.

katie z – I am sorry to hear that hubs do not like fish. I tell my children fish is brainfood – he he!

kate – you can always go to Peter at Kalofagas’s site and learn to make you own phyllo.

18. Chef Erik 29 April 2008 at 1:00 am #

This looks great! I made a couple of dishes like that when I worked at a restaurant in NJ. Love the plateing!

19. breadpitt 29 April 2008 at 3:56 am #

the dish looks good , looks crusty ..mouth watering !!!!

20. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 29 April 2008 at 4:51 am #

chef erik – coming from a real chef, I take it as a compliment.

breadpitt – thanks for the comment and stopping by.

21. Rose&Thorn 29 April 2008 at 10:37 am #

As you know I am a firm fish freek! Your parcels look wonderful, very good for entertaining!

22. Emiline 29 April 2008 at 11:16 am #

Yum! It’s beautifully presented.
    I recently tried watercress for the first time, and really liked it. It’s a strong flavor! Stronger than I thought it would be.

23. Bellini Valli 29 April 2008 at 3:02 pm #

Your dishes always look so beautiful Nina, like I am visiting a wonderful restaurant and being treated to something really special. This parcel of filo is no exception…magnificent:D

24. Helen 29 April 2008 at 4:56 pm #

Congratulations on your award Nina! And thank you so much for mine!! I am so flattered, I still get a bit embarrassed about the blog from time to time and it really means a lot to hear that people like it. Your pie looks fabulous too! Nice photo.

25. Kevin 30 April 2008 at 3:25 am #

Fish with dill, lemon and watercress all wrapping in crisp phyllo pastry…mmm… The presentation and photos are great!!

26. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 30 April 2008 at 5:23 am #

emiline – it is a lovely herb and adds a lot of crunch o a dish.

bellini valli – thank you for your kind comments, I am embarrassed now…

helen – yours is well deserved, my dear…

kevin – it is a perpect combination, isn’t it. Thx for stopping by.

27. AnticiPlate 30 April 2008 at 5:48 am #

This looks beyond good! The presentation is gorgeous.

28. Marianna 30 April 2008 at 4:55 pm #

Oh wow, now I get the whole “E award” thing (sorry, my food blog is still not even a year old so I’m not that familiar yet with these awards!)
    Thank you so so much Nina, this has put a really big smile on my face πŸ™‚ But most of all I’m happy I came accross your blog as you have great writing and recipes!! Thank you again!!

29. Proud Italian Cook 30 April 2008 at 10:43 pm #

Nina, this is a work of art almost too pretty to eat! This would be perfect for a special dinner party.
    Such a great presentation!

30. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 1 May 2008 at 7:47 am #

anticiplate – thx for popping in, I do appreciate.

marianna – I can so relate to this, when I first started blogging, I felt so stupid when I read about meme’s and awards and events…I’m getting there though.

proud italian cook – I agree and we had no special occasion, I just wanted to treat my family to something special.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Salmon Pie - sheer indulgence! - My Easy Cooking - March 14, 2018

[…] fish pies in my life. This big one is a crowd pleaser and you can never make it big enough. These fish and watercress Pies are a little more sophisticated. This time though, I go big with this delicious Salmon Pie. You can […]