February 23, 2019

Apple Tarte tatin with chili ice-cream

Posted on April 30, 2008 by in baked goods

Tarte Tatin is such a simple and classic recipe and yet, I have never tried it…..a sin, big time! I wanted something different though and decided to also try a chili ice-cream, just for fun.. The Tarte Tatin came out alright, although I would have liked more sauce. The ice-cream however was a pleasant surprise. At first you taste just the vanilla…and then at the back of your throat, it gives you a warm, burny fuzzy feeling. I liked it a lot…….

Apple Tarte Tatin

Preheat oven to 200 C

125ml brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
100 gr butter
4 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced.
1 roll bought puff pastry, thawed

Melt butter in a skillet that can go in oven. Add sugar and vanilla and caramelize(do not burn).
Add apples and cook until apples are all coated with the caramel. If you wish, arrange the apples in a pattern, but I liked the rustic idea. Let it cool slightly. Cut a circle from the pastry that is slightly bigger than the pan. Cover the apples and tuck in around the ends. Egg wash the pastry and bake for 15 minutes until golden and puffed up.

For the Vanilla Ice-cream I searched the Food Network and just added some chili flakes. For the recipe, click here.

26 Responses to “Apple Tarte tatin with chili ice-cream”

1. Maryann 2 May 2008 at 3:20 pm #

Hi Nina! I would love to try your ice cream. It sounds so interesting. I hope you know how much talent you have as a photographer? DMBLGIT. OK? ;)(especially the photo in your previous post)

2. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 2 May 2008 at 3:39 pm #

Shoo, Maryann, this is the second time you mention this DMBLGIT and I am petrified by the idea… I am flattered and ’cause you asked so nicely.

Ps.One of my greatest flaws, is my fear of failure….I’m working on it..hold thumbs

3. Peter G 2 May 2008 at 3:40 pm #

Tart Tartine is a gorgeous dessert…and I better even better with hat chilli ice cream.

4. RecipeGirl 2 May 2008 at 5:17 pm #

I love the thought of serving that chili ice cream on Cinco de Mayo!

5. Lori Lynn 2 May 2008 at 5:41 pm #

Tarte Tartin is one of my absolute favorites. And fun to be creative with. I just saw a recipe in a cookbook with apples and pears and lavender (noticing your previous post). Yours looks lovely, and the chile ice cream pairing is genius!

6. glamah16 2 May 2008 at 5:57 pm #

Oh yes! I have been eying a Tartr Tatin Recipe. I was thinking of using Mnagos instead. The ice cream is pure genius.

7. That Girl 2 May 2008 at 6:28 pm #

I am sooo making the chili ice cream this weekend! Although maybe with some chocolate too….

8. kat 2 May 2008 at 8:22 pm #

wow, one of our favorite desserts & my husband would love the addition of chilli

9. noble pig 3 May 2008 at 12:13 am #

Ooooh this is a new one for me…chili ice cream…I’m up for the taste.

10. farida 3 May 2008 at 7:39 am #

looks delicious and not that difficult to make! great recipe!

11. Emiline 3 May 2008 at 8:18 am #

Mmm…this is my kind of dessert. Is there anything more comforting than apple pie and ice cream? No.

12. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 3 May 2008 at 8:22 am #

peter g – the chili ice-cream was quite an interesting twist…

recipe girl- I think it can work well.

lori lynn – if I knew it was such a quick dessert, I most probably would have made it long ago.

kat – it’s good to spice things up, hey.

noble pig – give it a go

farida – not difficult at all.

13. giz 3 May 2008 at 8:38 am #

Apples, ice cream, I don’t think it gets much better than that. The combo of sweet apples and a chilli ice cream sound like such a flavour burst – terrific.

14. Peter M 3 May 2008 at 10:57 am #

Chillies and ice cream? Now that will fascinate the tongue…luv it!

As Maryann said, jump in…your photos are superb.

15. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 3 May 2008 at 11:06 am #

emiline – nothing really. My gran always said eating is the second best thing to do…she died before telling me what the best thing is….think I know..

giz – and a burst it was….

peter m – thx Peter, you motivate me …always.

16. Kevin 3 May 2008 at 10:35 pm #

Tart Tatin is so good! The chili vanilla ice cream sounds really interesting. I like chilis in chocolate. I will have to try it in ice cream.

17. Helen 4 May 2008 at 10:34 am #

Wow! This is gorgeous! I love the use of the chilli ice cream with the apples, very creative.

18. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 4 May 2008 at 2:59 pm #

kevin – it is quite a flavor burst….

helen – it was a lovely dessert, yea!

19. AnticiPlate 4 May 2008 at 6:30 pm #

What a great flavor combination! I have never thought of having chili ice-cream. I have heard of bacon, green tea, and avocado…but never chili. I love sweet and spicy though, so this is right up my alley!

20. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 4 May 2008 at 7:33 pm #

anticiplate – have you heard of Gorgonzola ice-cream? My next attempt.

21. Marianna 5 May 2008 at 1:46 pm #

This is such a nice change from the regular tarte tatin with a vanilla scoop on top!! Really lovely!

22. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 6 May 2008 at 11:27 am #

marianna – to think that one ingredient can bring on this wonderful change.

23. Proud Italian Cook 6 May 2008 at 3:39 pm #

Nina, I totally agree with Maryann, you are an amazing photograper!!

24. Mike of Mike's Table 6 May 2008 at 5:05 pm #

This looks like a really good one! And for what its worth, I’ve never done tarte tatin either! 😮

I’ve had chili-centric desserts on my mind lately as I’ve been crossing my fingers that my cayenne pepper plant successfully gives me a ton of peppers (they’re green, so there’s hope!).

25. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 6 May 2008 at 7:44 pm #

proud italian cook – oh man, you guys make me blush…

mike – Not only are you a great cook, it seems you are a good gardener with green fingers too.

26. Jeanne 13 May 2008 at 1:11 am #

I love the simple idea of the chilli ice cream, and so will my hubby! Tarte tatin is really saimple once you’ve made it once – and so impressive. I also did a pear tarte tatin that was glorious.