April 8, 2020

Yogurt Cheese and beetroot salad

Posted on May 6, 2008 by in salads

After a weekend of tummy bugs and such, we are all on the mend and by tonight I actually felt peckish for a change. I saw this recipe in the Taste magazine, that we get here in South Africa, earlier this week, but was too sick to try. I did however managed to make the cheese so last night I could quickly throw this together. I saw the recipe for Labneh balls on Marianna’s site called Swirl and Scramble and wanted to make this so badly.

For this Beetroot salad I did not want to form the Labneh into balls, but rather break it in “chunks” almost like torn Mozzarella although the texture is much softer and creamier. So for the cheese recipe. click here

Yogurt Cheese and Beetroot
The rest of the recipe is easy.
Cook some beetroot in water until it is soft. Cool
Slice beetroot in quarters and assemble in a plate with pieces of the Labneh in between. Drizzle with olive oil, orange blossom honey and black, white and pink peppercorns. Finish off with sprigs of thyme.

Ps. Yesterday was a rainy day and for the life of me, I could not pick up the red color of the beetroot in the photo, but this is a very pretty salad. The different textures and tastes are a joy.

I am entering this recipe into the “Beautiful Bones” event, hosted by Susan from Food Blogga.
Osteoporosis is something that none of us wants to think about, but we should all be aware of our lifestyle and specifically our calcium and magnesium intake. For more info on the benefits of organic beetroot, click here.
The yogurt is also a good source of calcium and this is then my idea of a calcium rich meal.

Then you will se that I have updated my Favorite Blog’s list on the right in the sidebar. I am not completely finished yet, but if I have left anyone that regularly visit out, please let me know and I will gladly add your site. I am truly inspired by you all.

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to “Yogurt Cheese and beetroot salad”

1. Kevin 7 May 2008 at 10:17 am #

Yogurt cheese and beetroot sounds like a nice combo!

2. Susan from Food Blogga 7 May 2008 at 2:41 pm #

Hi Nina,

I’m sorry to hear about the tummy bugs, but I’m happy to hear you’re all doing better. I’m especially pleased that you submitted such a unique recipe. I have never paired these ingredients before, but I can imagine how bold and beautiful the flavors must be together. Many thanks!

Cheers,
    Susan

3. glamah16 7 May 2008 at 2:58 pm #

Glad your feeling better. I have ssen this cheese floating around and need to make this.it seems so easy and worth it.

4. Marianna 7 May 2008 at 4:44 pm #

oh cool, you tried it out! Did you like it? I really like how you drizzled orange blossom honey with olive oil on top! That must be a great match with the Labneh, will have to try that idea from you!

5. kat 7 May 2008 at 6:51 pm #

Oh that sounds wonderful, anything with beet sounds wonderful to me though!

6. kat 7 May 2008 at 6:51 pm #

Oh that sounds wonderful, anything with beet sounds wonderful to me though!

7. Peter M 7 May 2008 at 8:41 pm #

Nina, glad the family and you are feeling better and that you are astir in the kitchen.

The sweet and tartness of the combo is a fave of mine. Another food magazine centerfold here.

8. Jan 7 May 2008 at 11:10 pm #

I was reading a recipe magazine at the weekend while I was away and it had a recipe for goats cheese and beetroot which I quite fancy making. Your recipe looks very nice indeedy!

9. That Girl 8 May 2008 at 1:02 am #

I think this is a great calcium rich meal!

10. Passionate baker...& beyond 8 May 2008 at 2:26 am #

Heartwarming dish…very nice!

11. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 8 May 2008 at 5:13 am #

kevin – I like the combination especially with the honey

susan – I am the one to say thank you!

glamah – you should really try it.

marianna – thanks for sharing your recipe, I will definitely make it again.

kat – I think beetroot must be one of the most underrated vegetables around.

peter m – thx for your concern as well as your kind comment.

jan – it is so easy to make, you should try it.

that girl – ditto

passionate baker – thank you

12. taste memory 9 May 2008 at 2:06 pm #

nina ~ as ever this looks lovely! you know I love beets – the yogurt cheese looks tasty w. orange blossom honey! I will try this and let you know.

Thanks for the blog roll mention, I eventually need to get around updating mine and look forward to having you on there.

Have a great week!

13. We Are Never Full 9 May 2008 at 4:58 pm #

an awesome blend of the sweet and the savory (although beets are kind of sweet, right?). this would never be a combo i would think of, but it really looks beautiful. great colors.

14. Theogr 9 May 2008 at 6:03 pm #

Hello there. My name is Theogr and I’m collecting recipe blogs. Have a look. I’m going to put yours on too.

15. zoho mail 11 September 2017 at 4:46 pm #