November 20, 2019

Pancake time is here

Posted on May 11, 2008 by in baked goods

Winter is upon us and in many a South African home , this means Pancake Time. On weekends you walk into friends homes and are met with the wonderful aroma of butter, cinnamon, coffee and log fires. Of course every good South African girl swears by her recipe, because she got from her mother, who got it from her mother ,who got it from……….ok, so you get the point!

Well MY recipe is fantastic, but sadly I cannot take the credit, because I got it from my sister, who got it from…….ok ok!! The secret they say, is not to use milk in Pancake batter as it makes he batter tough. As my pancakes always turn out fluffy even when it is cold, I have to believe whoever came to this conclusion.
This recipe yields 25-30 pancakes, depending on how big your pan is. Why not double the recipe and freeze some pancakes for emergencies. Layer with wax paper in heaps of 10. Cover with tin foil and freeze. When needed, warm pancakes at 100C inside the foil parcel.

Pancakes

4 eggs, I use jumbo
1,25 liter water
50 ml vinegar
250 ml vegetable oil
5ml bicarb
20 ml baking powder
4 x 250 ml cake flour

Beat eggs, 1 cup of the water. Add the vinegar and oil.
Add baking powder, salt and bicarb to flour. Add dry ingredients and other water spoon by spoon to egg mixture.
Heat pan and add a drop of oil when making first pancake. After that you will not need oil.
Bake all the pancakes and serve with lemon and cinnamon sugar or banana, caramel and vanilla cream.

Tags:

21 Responses to “Pancake time is here”

1. Peter M 11 May 2008 at 11:20 pm #

Nina, are you sure these aren’t “crepes”?

They look fab but in these parts, pancakes are much thicker.

2. Peter G 12 May 2008 at 12:04 am #

Great pancakes Nina…I’m interested about using water as opposed to milk. You learn something new every day and I will def have to try this out. Cheers!

3. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 12 May 2008 at 4:59 am #

Crepes, as I know it is way thinner and the size of a small side plate here in SA. We are true Afrikaners and we do things properly. Although these pancakes look big, they are incredibly light.

4. That Girl 12 May 2008 at 6:55 am #

I didn’t realize pancakes were such a part of the South African culture!

5. eliza 12 May 2008 at 7:33 am #

aww…we’re technically in springtime now, but the weather has been cold! so i believe i still want pancakes every morning 😉

6. Ayin 12 May 2008 at 10:10 am #

my son really love pancake…2-3 times a week I make it for him, eat with maple or caramel syrup.

7. myfrenchkitchen 12 May 2008 at 1:35 pm #

What a lovely blog you have…ANd forutnate to live in CT! Being old Stellenbossers, I can just imagine your winters right now(which I always loved) and I agree, what better to wish for than pancakes. Your photo’s are beautiful and the recipes mouthwatering…thanks for leading me here!
    Ronell

8. Anonymous 12 May 2008 at 1:59 pm #

I was fortunate enough to taste these lovely pancakes with all the trimmings and ooooooh yum yum …. the vanilla cream……too delicious for words. Thanks sis, and for the rest of the lovely Mothers Day lunch.

9. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 12 May 2008 at 3:21 pm #

that girl – you bet they are….

eliza – oh yes, you can.

ayin – you have a lucky son, I’m afraid here things are a bit too rushed in the morning.

my french kitchen – thank you so much for replying to me. It must have been a good reason to make you move away from Stellenbosch – I suppose France is a good reason.Thanks for your encouraging comments.

anonymous – wow, well done, now you are all online.

10. Sylvie 12 May 2008 at 3:22 pm #

What wonderful pancakes. I love them sweet or savoury!

11. Anonymous 12 May 2008 at 3:33 pm #

What is a Mothersday without a mother, wish we could be there for that mouthwatering pancakes and I believe for all the other food.

12. Jan 12 May 2008 at 3:58 pm #

They look yummy – I could eat one now!

13. Lina 12 May 2008 at 4:37 pm #

Thats so cool that you live in South Africa. I wish I could visit the country one day! your pancakes look awesome by the way~!

14. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 12 May 2008 at 4:44 pm #

Those look great! I only like thin pancakes..so your recipe sounds great! Yum! Never knew pancakes were so intergal to South African cuisine! You learn something new every day! 🙂

15. Vicarious Foodie 12 May 2008 at 4:55 pm #

These look really good! I never knew you could freeze pancakes–thanks for the tip!

16. glamah16 12 May 2008 at 5:04 pm #

I would think of those a crepes. Regardless they are wonderful and I too prefer this version to the thicker American one.Lovely.

17. kat 12 May 2008 at 7:56 pm #

they look wonderful & remind me a lot of swedish pancakes

18. nicisme 12 May 2008 at 10:58 pm #

We call them pancakes too, and yours look delicious!
    I haven’t heard of adding vinegar though.

19. Jeanne 13 May 2008 at 1:02 am #

I’ve also been having this debate with people – in SA we would call these crepes pancakes – the smaller and thicker things that the rest of the world seem to call pancakes, my mom called crumpets. Did you have the same thing in your house?

I LOVE cinnamon pancakes btw and that’s what we always had in our house. Caramel was a rare treat at a restaurant 😉

20. Demi 19 August 2009 at 11:42 pm #

My dearest Nina,Tks to you,my family and other animals are fed!Great recipe!Will double&leave; frozen for NZ folks to use! take care

21. Happygran 6 January 2010 at 11:28 am #

I'm in Oz(from South Africa) and it was and still is difficult to use the words crepes/pancakes/crumpets and dropped scones in the right context.Crepes to me means delicate lacy creation from the French,Crepe Suzette.Pancakes are almost the same but bigger and the ONLY accompaniment can/must be cinnamon sugar and lemon juice.What is called "Pancakes over here is what we know as "crumpets or drop scones" All very confusing and equally delicious:-)