May 17, 2021
ā€Ø

Butternut, Tomato and Light vegetable soup

Posted on May 20, 2008 by in soups

Everyone should know by now that I like things to be simple. I DO NOT LIKE THINGS TO LOOKS SIMPLE, but I like a Wow-effect with the least effort. With a little bit of planning ahead you can have this meal on the table in no time, but your guests will think that you have spend hours behind the stove. I chose these particular flavors of soup, because it can be served at room temperature for those of you who are now moving towards summer. You can choose any kind of soup really…why not chilled tomato and cucumber combo? The trick is to make your soup in advance.

When I make butternut or tomato soup, I always double up the recipe and freeze for later. When your guests arrive, simply add flavorings,a little bit of this and a little bit of that and voila! I wanted to make your life even easier so I searched for a few soup recipes and found a lovely Tuscan Tomato soup here.
For an ice-cold tomato soup, click here.
Now for some other fabulous summer soups, just click here.
If you envy my beautiful little cups, but do not have your own, simply pour your soup in two jugs and pour simultaneously into a bowl or serve in shot glasses.

For my “White” soup, I wanted to make roasted leek soup, but had no leeks so I made a potato and fennel soup – delicious!!.

Tags: , ,

20 Responses to “Butternut, Tomato and Light vegetable soup”

1. Stefania/CityMama 21 May 2008 at 1:10 am #

Your photos are lovely! That soup looks good enough to eat!! šŸ™‚

Thanks for the linklove!

2. Peter M 21 May 2008 at 3:13 am #

Nice improvization with fennel and potato Nina, a fennel Vichycoisse coming up?

3. glamah16 21 May 2008 at 3:51 am #

Your reading my mind.I was imagining chilled soups today.

4. farida 21 May 2008 at 7:57 am #

Great looking trio! I love chilled summer soups. In Azerbaijan chilled yogurt soup is especially popular.

5. Anonymous 21 May 2008 at 8:56 am #

Lovely but I think my Goulash Soup for this gold day is perfect. I think I am just jealous.Love Mom

6. Anonymous 21 May 2008 at 9:25 am #

Mom. Sorry for the spelling mistake but maybe with possitive thinking we can change the cold day into gold- just a after thought

7. nicisme 21 May 2008 at 4:51 pm #

You could serve up dish-water and it would look fabulous Nina! (Probably taste fab too!)
    Always such lovely colours and super presentation.

8. That Girl 21 May 2008 at 6:11 pm #

As usual, your presentation belies the simplicity of the recipes. I really love soups in shot glasses, or espresso glasses.

9. Maryann 21 May 2008 at 10:14 pm #

I wouldn’t know which to eat first. They all look so beautiful.

10. Lore 22 May 2008 at 9:06 am #

How beautiful! I’m intrigued by your potato-fennel soup since I like them both but I’ve never tried them together.

11. Jan 22 May 2008 at 1:12 pm #

Nina – Your pictures are fantastic! I love your cooking and your pictures.

12. Pam 22 May 2008 at 5:31 pm #

Great pictures! I love making soup and these look amazing.

Pam

13. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 23 May 2008 at 5:32 am #

stefania – it’s only a pleasure.

peter – yes oh master of food knowledge…he-he.

glamah – I saw your soup too and it looks fantastic.

farida – mmmm, that does sound tempting.

mom – I got the comments about your soup from the horses mouth and they say it was delicious.Absolutely right about the gold day, I’ll try!

nicisme – oh my goodness, I feel totally blown by such a nice comment.

that girl – it does make an interesting appetizer.

maryann – I started with the butternut, ’cause that’s my favorite.

lore – it was an interesting soup and totally off the cuff, I had no recipe.

jan – thank YOU for always visiting and leaving such wonderful comments.

pam – it does give soup a new jacket, doesn’t it!.

14. canarygirl 23 May 2008 at 11:49 am #

Oh my GAWD, Nina! This is MY kind of post right here…your soups look so delicious and pretty! I could go for one of each right now. šŸ˜€

15. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 25 May 2008 at 6:08 am #

canary girl – thank you, coming from you, I appreciate the cooment even more!

16. katiez 25 May 2008 at 5:12 pm #

Marvelous soups!
    The great thing about these kinds of soups is they are equally good hot or cold..
    And I love soup of any kind, all year!

17. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 26 May 2008 at 8:15 am #

katiez – that is why I did this post, because we are just entering winter, but the majority of my visitors are now entering summer.

18. Jade 27 May 2008 at 8:19 pm #

Love this trio of soups…I also LOVE recipes that make food look amazing with less effort šŸ™‚

19. Jeanne 4 June 2008 at 3:20 pm #

LOL – that’s my exact philisophy. Must spend 10 minutes in kitchen and serve somethign that looks like it took 10 hours šŸ˜‰

Love the soup served as a trio!

20. Janice 22 March 2011 at 1:24 pm #

Hi!! I love your blog. There is much creativity and love what you do.