December 6, 2019

Honey and Pear pudding

Posted on May 23, 2008 by in desserts

Easy, simple and versatile recipes are my motto, you all should know by now. I love basic recipes that you can adjust to suit the occasion and the ingredients that you have available. Last weekend on the Cape Good Food and Wine Show I found this delicious raw honey, called Mac’s Honey. Mr Mac himself had all kids of flavors, from Euculuptus(unique to the Western Cape) to Orange blossom, but I wanted a big piece of honey comb to take home. Nature’s own Bubblegum.Well back to the basic recipes.
This classic sponge cake recipe is one of those recipes. You can change it into a chocolate cake, poppyseed and orange cake, coffee and walnut, upside-down pineapple cake or you can use it to make Honey and Pear pudding.
What makes this even more amazing is how easy it is to throw together.

Honey and Pear Pudding

For the basic sponge

225g self-raising flour
225g soft unsalted butter(I used salted, because I always add salt to any recipe to bring out the flavor)
225g caster sugar
3 tbs milk
4 large eggs.
inside of 1 vanilla pod

Preheat oven to 180C

Grease and line 2 x 20 cm/8in cake tins with baking parchment.
Put all the ingredients in a food processor and mix well.
Pour into cake tins and bake for 25min or until cake skewer comes out clean.
Remove from tins and use your favorite frosting or just cream and berries.

For the pear and honey pudding
Grease 6-8 cups or ramekins
Cut 2 vertical slices from the middle of a pear for each cup – I used 2 pears per cup because I wanted both slices to have a little stem.Slices about 3mm thick. I used leftover pears for pear crumble. Line the inside of a cup or ramekin with the pear slices with the stems sticking out. Now carefully spoon batter into cup until 3/4 full. Sprinkle nuts or coconut over the batter and bake until skewer comes out clean.
Let it cool slightly and remove from cups(carefully). Drizzle with honey and serve with fresh cream. A very rustic looking pud, but I can guarantee the taste…delicious!!!!

I also have been fortunate enough to receive not one, but two awards. The one Blogging with a Purpose Award I received a while back from the wonderful Ingar over at Taste Memory. She is one of my regulars and she always uplifts me. She is on a ” Good and healthy food Quest and if healthy is your thing, visit her for lots of inspiration and ideas.

The other award, I received yesterday and it is from the lovely Kate from Paved with good intentions It is the I Love You This Much Award and it has the cutest little badge ever!”That girl” is always around in the blogosphere and never misses a visit. She is truly a dedicated blogger friend and a excellent cook herself.

I can not possibly think of only 10 people to send this award to. I feel that every one of you fellow bloggers are “Blogging with a Purpose” and that “I love you all This much!”.Consider you all awarded and you may gladly show these little badges on your sites. Well deserved!

Tags:

27 Responses to “Honey and Pear pudding”

1. Anonymous 23 May 2008 at 4:18 pm #

What can I say. Just a while ago I critisize now this amazing pudding. Well done! Mom

2. That Girl 23 May 2008 at 5:57 pm #

Is that honeycomb on top? I’m drooling!

3. Peter G 23 May 2008 at 6:41 pm #

Stunning Nina…the honey is a real nice touch in this.

4. Sylvie 23 May 2008 at 6:42 pm #

Beautiful!

5. glamah16 23 May 2008 at 7:54 pm #

I like that… Natures own bubble gum.Lovely.

6. bagel 23 May 2008 at 8:08 pm #

That looks so beautiful! I don’t think I can find eucalyptus honey where I live, but I will have to try to do this sometime.

7. Jan 24 May 2008 at 9:23 am #

Looks like one yummy pud!

8. Peter M 24 May 2008 at 11:46 am #

Gorgeous, a celebration of honey & pears…look at the wax & honey…umm.!

9. Bellini Valli 24 May 2008 at 1:31 pm #

Your photos are always so inspiring Nina. I love the little piece of honeycomb on top, what a nice touch and a healthy way to sweeten up any dessert:D

10. vandana rajesh 24 May 2008 at 2:22 pm #

Thats really yummy nina. Loved ur blog.

11. Vicarious Foodie 24 May 2008 at 4:00 pm #

That recipe sounds great and your pictures are beautiful! Congratulations on your awards!!

12. breadpitt 24 May 2008 at 4:06 pm #

congratulations to those award u get. such a mouth watering post

13. Marianna 24 May 2008 at 6:05 pm #

wow, that looks superb! Love your use of honey here, and pears which is a fruit I often tend to neglect! Congrats for your award!!

14. noble pig 24 May 2008 at 6:08 pm #

Nina, it’s so lovely, I mean really lovely!

15. Kevin 24 May 2008 at 10:24 pm #

Nicely presented! I like the honey drizzle!

16. Janna 24 May 2008 at 11:31 pm #

YUM YUM YUM!
    This looks so very tasty.
    I love honey these days.
    It grows on me more and more.

17. farida 25 May 2008 at 2:13 am #

What an interesting combination! I bet it is one flavorful pudding! Yum!

18. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 25 May 2008 at 6:05 am #

anonymous – my cooking abilities I got directly from you, mom. Why are you amazed?

that girl – yes it is droolworthy!!

peter g – thanks I appreciate every visit and comment you give, because you are such a stunning cook yourself!

sylvie – thank you so much!

glamah – yes, my children love chewing the stuff!

bagel – euculuptus honey is indigenous to the Western Cape, but you can try any honey, really.

jan – it was indeed a yummee pud!

peter m – and to think we had this celebration in the middle of the week.

bellini valli – am am the one to be inspired, you are such a fantastic cook!

vandana rajesh – thanks for the visit, please come again. There is always something new around here!

vicarious foodie – thank you, I am working hard at improving my photography skills, so thank you for noticing.

breadpitt – Have I told you that I love your name – any play on the name Brad Pitt? Thanks for visiting.

marianna – thanks, I agree. I should also use pears more, I love their flavor.

noble pig – thank you so much, you’ve made my day!

kevin – a comment from you is always special Kevin, you yourself is so talented.

janna – I use it a lot in winter, puds, sweet potato, cakes and even the childrens oatmeal in the morning – with a touch of cinnamon, yum!

farida – Yes, it was a delicious dessert, thx!

19. Ginny 25 May 2008 at 6:25 am #

wow! I love that honey! Great idea! I’m bookmarking to give it a try! 🙂

20. eliza 26 May 2008 at 7:37 am #

your picture just made my mouth water! what a great dessert with honey and pear!

21. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 26 May 2008 at 8:12 am #

ginny – thx, you should also try the basic sponge with other flavors, easy-peasy!

eliza – thanks for the visit and you lovely comment – from the heart.

22. Maryann 27 May 2008 at 12:12 am #

Congrats on your awards, Nina! I love that drizzle of honey 🙂

23. Nikki Miller-Ka 28 May 2008 at 1:17 am #

That honeycomb on top looks AMAZING! OOoohhh! I L-O-V-E honey!

24. Jeanne 4 June 2008 at 2:53 pm #

This reminds me of the dried apricot upside-down puddings I made a couple of weeks ago – so simple and so delicious (and impresses the guests!) Honey and pear is such a fabulous combination too.

25. Jeanne 4 June 2008 at 2:53 pm #

26. ~~louise~~ 23 September 2008 at 7:32 pm #

What a delightful post! I happened upon your blog in search of recipes using comb honey for National Honey Month in September. I hope you don’t mind that I have linked to this post. I look forward to visiting again. Thanks so much for sharing…

27. Bea Wylie 20 May 2009 at 9:24 pm #

yes, it’s really grate! and so easy! 😉