November 17, 2019

Corn bread in various ways

Posted on May 27, 2008 by in baked goods

My cousin are also one of those coincidental cooks – they just do it,’cause they can kinda thing. On Sunday night at church, she whispered in my ear: “I have an easy recipe for you…” Well, that got my attention. I got the old pen out and jotted it down in a flash and while I was writing, I knew I’m gonna love this one….. One of those easy-add-your-own-touch recipes!
So I will give you the basic…

Corn Bread

Beat 3 eggs and 3/4 cups sugar (I will make this less next time – it is a bit sweet for my liking.
Add 3 TBS melted butter and beat some more.

Sift 1 cup cake flour, 1 cup corn flour and 2 tsp baking powder and add to the egg mixture. Now add 1 tin creamed sweet corn.
I also added 125ml chopped chives
a few chopped sun dried tomatoes
Bake for 40-45 minutes.

This bread is best eaten fresh from the oven, just with butter. I served it as a light supper with some wild rocket, a few slices of tomato and a lightly poached egg. Yum!

Tags: , ,

21 Responses to “Corn bread in various ways”

1. Sylvie 27 May 2008 at 1:54 pm #

What a lovely looking cornbread.

2. Ginny 27 May 2008 at 1:55 pm #

The bread looks amazing! The shot of the poached egg is having leaving me wanting to make some right now! Delicious!

3. glamah16 27 May 2008 at 5:48 pm #

A family of amazing cooks. I like this cornbread recipe!

4. Peter M 27 May 2008 at 8:32 pm #

I luv cornbread, straddling sweet & savory and it makes for a good stuffing too!

5. Nikki Miller-Ka 28 May 2008 at 1:15 am #

I love bread. All kinds. Carbs are my friends. And yours looks great. I bet it was yummy!

6. Kevin 28 May 2008 at 2:59 am #

Sundried tomatoes in corn bread sounds great!!

7. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 28 May 2008 at 5:13 am #

sylvie – the cornbread was delicious,yes!

ginny – I love making poached eggs the proper way – it is fun seeing the egg swirling around in the water and eventually turning opague.

glamah – my gran left us all an amazing cooking legacy.

peter – wow, I have never thought of that.

nikki – I also have a few carb friends of which potatoes are the best.

kevin – I love sun dried tomatoes, they add such a beautiful flavor.

8. myfrenchkitchen 28 May 2008 at 4:21 pm #

Lovely cornbread nina…I love the specks of chives and of course the tomatoes are are just perfect.
    ronell

9. matt wright 28 May 2008 at 8:54 pm #

Blimey, that cornbread with the egg on looks like just what I need right now! Good stuff.

10. Sylvia 28 May 2008 at 10:34 pm #

Looks delicious, the color is amazing I must try this, when they finish the painting

11. Proud Italian Cook 28 May 2008 at 10:43 pm #

One word….. Mmmmmmm!!

12. noble pig 29 May 2008 at 1:21 am #

That corn bread with butter is just insane! Nina you are a tease!

13. giz 29 May 2008 at 5:09 am #

If your cousin keeps coming up with great recipes that are short in ingredients and long in delicious – take a journal next time.

14. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 29 May 2008 at 5:10 am #

my french kitchen – I also loved it, but next time I will most ptobably use different flavors eg. Bacon, onion …

matt – It is so quick to make, you can have it in no time.

sylvia – I hope they finish soon, I know how disruptive that can be.

proud italian cook – oh, so you liked it?

noble pig – sorry!!!

15. kat 29 May 2008 at 6:25 am #

wow, a poached egg on cornbread that does sound like a great combination!

16. Emiline 29 May 2008 at 11:40 am #

Your bread looks sooo good. I love bread. I eat it everyday.

17. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 29 May 2008 at 4:28 pm #

kat – a poached egg on everything is a good idea….

emiline – that’s my downfall too.

18. Bellini Valli 29 May 2008 at 11:46 pm #

This would be so good with a little melted butter Nina. I have been looking for a cornbread recipe and here we are:D

19. Janna 30 May 2008 at 10:03 pm #

Nina- are you sure you’re not a Texan at heart? Tis cornbread looks fantastic and I am so the sucker for poached eggs. I love eggs benedict in an almost unhealthy way.

I love making sweet corn bread and sometimes toss in golden corn and jalapenos. It’s excellent with black eyed pea soup or black beans.

20. Jaime 1 June 2008 at 5:03 am #

i’ve honestly never seen cornbread so beautiful before!

21. Jeanne 4 June 2008 at 2:45 pm #

Oh yes, I am soooo making this! Although I can already see the peppadews being substituted for the tomatoes… I love this kind of recipe, passed on by a colleague or friend. These are the recipes that find their way into my heart.