May 17, 2021

Easy mussel soup

Posted on May 28, 2008 by in soups

Desperation led me to this easy Mussel Soup. Desperate for what, you may ask? Well, I was busy with back-to-back catering and time for supper all of a sudden sprung on me, with children asking: “Mom, when are we eating? Second question: “What are we eating?”
I found a bag of mussels in the shell as well as mussel meat in the freezer and first thought about pasta with mussels, but there was no time for cooking the pasta so I opted for a quick Mussel soup instead.

Mussel Soup

Here is what I had

500gr Mussels in half shell
200gr mussel meat
250ml bechamel sauce( left over from the lasagna I made for catering purposes)
250ml white wine
garlic – about 2 cloves
1 large onion finely chopped.
I tsp curry powder
herbs of choice

Sautee garlic,onion and curry powder in a bit of oil. Add mussels and mussel meat and white wine. Put lid on pot and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove mussels from liquid and add the liquid to the bechamel sauce.Cook through. Now add mussels back to the mixture. Season to taste. Add a dash of cream and some fresh herbs. Soup in 15 minutes = one happy family.

I made some garlic bread and it was delicious.

500gr butter
5 bulbs of garlic
fresh hers – I used parsley and thyme
6 anchovy fillets

Cut heads off garlic, drizzle with olive oil and salt and bake in oven until soft. Squeeze garlic from peels and place in food processor with all other ingredients. Process until butter is mix properly. Spread in between slices of a French baguette and either freeze for later of bake until golden and crispy and delicious. I had some butter left and am keeping it for another day to round off a perfect piece of grilled fish or steak.

13 Responses to “Easy mussel soup”

1. Pam 29 May 2008 at 4:47 pm #

YUM! Your pictures always make my mouth water.

Pam

2. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 29 May 2008 at 5:21 pm #

What a fabulous looking dinner Nina! YUM! beautiful photo!

3. Peter M 29 May 2008 at 6:07 pm #

Ahh, I remember making a mussel soup this past winter…quite filling for a soup. Your photo is a beaut, as always.

4. RecipeGirl 30 May 2008 at 5:26 pm #

One of the gals in our gourmet club made a mussels soup for our New Year’s Eve party this past year. I had never had such a thing and thought it was wonderful. Yours looks equally delicious!

5. glamah16 30 May 2008 at 5:40 pm #

I cant get enough of shellfish. This is perfect soup as I adore mussels!

6. Janna 30 May 2008 at 10:01 pm #

heaven. i’m in heaven.
    i’m in heaven and my soul can hardly speak….
    I LOVE MUSSELS. This looks divine.
    Please move to Texas and make some for me.

7. Sylvia 30 May 2008 at 10:31 pm #

OMG Nina, looks great, love mussels , and my husband loves garlic bread .Is perfect

8. steph- whisk/spoon 31 May 2008 at 2:18 am #

mussels are a favorite of mine, and i’ve luckily been successful in converting my husband into a mussel-lover, too. a curried mussel soup sounds wonderful!

9. Vicarious Foodie 31 May 2008 at 4:03 am #

Your picture is so bright and colorful! Great shot!

10. Susan 2 June 2008 at 5:07 pm #

Sooooo pretty! It’s almost summer here, and I am craving all kinds of shellfish. Gorgeous recipe! I want lots of good bread to sop up the broth.

11. Anonymous 4 June 2008 at 2:34 pm #

Hi Nina
    I LOVE the egg idea – I think I am going to impress my family tonight, something that even I can now cook!
    Many thanx
    Jacqui M

12. Jeanne 4 June 2008 at 2:43 pm #

I love having mussels in the freezer, both for a last-minute paella and for soups. That reminds me – I still have to blog the mussel chowder I made earlier this year – eek! Lovely photo too.

13. Mina 22 March 2011 at 12:16 pm #

This looks absolutely fantastic! Thanks for sharing!