September 23, 2019

Brie and Peppadew Tartlettes

Posted on June 4, 2008 by in cheese

I am sure that by now you have spotted a few changes around here with very little changing on the recipe side of this site, but rest assured…. We spent LONG nights trying to just come up with a new header.
In the process we lost the original one and we had throw together a few quick ideas. After much thought, I think I have found a header that I am happy with – I trust that you are too. I still have to tidy up the site a bit, but for now “This is it!” Let me know what you think!

I had a lot of help from the Pappa Bear and “The Cooksister“,and for that I am eternally grateful.
There are many other exciting things about to happen on this site, so watch this space!
I ran out of time the other night and had to quickly make supper – the children, by the way have been so patient with “Mommy” being lost behind her desk, but they know I will make it up to them soon.
I had a piece of Brie in my fridge that was about to “run off” somewhere and I had a roll of puff pastry in the freezer…..aaaahhhhh!!!! How about Brie and Peppadew Tarts? Now, many of you do not know what Peppadews are, but the people over there assured me that their marketing campaigns in the UK and USA are up and running so you should find these gems on your shelves pretty soon. If you go to their site, you will find lists of outlets too. Anyway, let me get back to my recipe… I basically made “over-sized” vol-au-vents and baked them halfway, put 2 slices of Brie and some chopped Peppadews in each little tart and baked it for another 5 minutes. It was not the prettiest tarts that I have ever made, but it tasted delicious with a fruity coleslaw. The combination of the cheese, pastry, raisins, heat from the peppadews and nuts just worked.

Coleslaw

3 Cups finely shredded cabbage
125 ml roasted almonds
125 ml pitted raisins
1 heaped Tsp Dijon Mustard
1 heaped Tsp sugar
200ml good quality mayonnaise
Mix everything together.

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to “Brie and Peppadew Tartlettes”

1. Anonymous 5 June 2008 at 9:07 am #

I like your new header over a 1000!!! Well done, but those tartlettes are so pretty and I am sure they were delicious. Sorry I missed to sample them.Well done Nina, you’re a star.

2. Rose&Thorn 5 June 2008 at 9:48 am #

The header is great, a little out of focus on my side, but that could just be me? The tarts look great. I love peppadews and cheese.

3. Manggy 5 June 2008 at 9:52 am #

I like the header a lot, Nina 🙂

Peppadews aren’t imported to Asia 🙁 Oh well, it looks like my taste will have to wait! Beautiful vol-au-vents!

4. Peter M 5 June 2008 at 2:38 pm #

Nina, great new look for the blog, nice new photo of you and the same, fab food…pastry will one day give us world peace!

5. Lori Lynn 5 June 2008 at 2:39 pm #

Very nice header, I like the yellow accent.

Looking forward to experiencing a peppadew!

6. noble pig 5 June 2008 at 4:32 pm #

Wowzer! Love the new changes but these are just awesome little yummy things. You’ve outdone yourself!

7. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 5 June 2008 at 7:21 pm #

anonymous – thank you, I got your hint, that’s why you got to sample the berry crumpets today.

rose & thorn – I fixed the header, hope it is ok now. Thx for the visit and the help.

manggy – I’ll have to speak tothe guys over at Peppadew. Try roasted red peppers instead.

peter – at the moment we could do with some peace here in SA. I appreciate your kind remark re my new “look”.

lori lynn – I chose yellow, because it is a happy color for me.Glad you like it too.

noble pig – thank you. Yes, the tart were indeed yummee.

8. Mike of Mike's Table 5 June 2008 at 9:08 pm #

The redesign looks great and this is an interesting post. I’d never heard of a peppadew before but now I’ll be sure to snap them up if I ever find them. This looks delicious

9. Anonymous 6 June 2008 at 12:47 pm #

Hi Nina
    Love the heading!
    These tartlets look wonderful…will give it a try!
    Jacqui M

10. Trixi 6 June 2008 at 2:04 pm #

Hi Nina, Found your site on an e-mail from your Hubby which was forwarded to me and how glad I am! Peppadews are one of my favourite things and I always have a jar in the fridge. Just about have it on everything I eat… We will be having these for lunch tomorrow or even at the braai tonight if I can get the puff pastry to defrost quick enough.

11. taste memory 6 June 2008 at 3:16 pm #

love those peppadews ~ great when glopped w. olive oil + garlic, can eat ’em like popcorn for me quite scary!

Tartlettes w. brie sounds fantastic…

12. myfrenchkitchen 7 June 2008 at 6:17 pm #

Your hard work has paid off. The header looks fresh and inviting!And the recipe delicious. I could already find peppadews in the States when we were there last year September, but few people knew about them. they are just great.
    ronell

13. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 10 June 2008 at 8:49 am #

mike – please look for them, they are dlicious!

jacqui – thx my dear!!!

trixie – let me know how your tarts turned out. I would love to know who referred you, just interested!

taste memory – yea, they can be quite addictive….

myfrenchkitchen – I’m glad you like the new look, although I think it is going to change again. I am seeing a website developer tomorrow….Next time when you come to SA, you’ll have to stock up on peppadews.

14. Jeanne 12 June 2008 at 2:18 pm #

The header looks great – and I’m glad if my rambling advice e-mails helped!!

Peppadews rock – best thing is that they’re proudly South African 🙂 Another friend of mine says they are turning up all over the place in her neck of the woods (Tennessee) and they’ve been availabelin Tesco here in the UK for years, so finding them should not be a problem – you just have to LOOK!