April 22, 2021

Ricotta Crumpets with Berry Compote

Posted on June 5, 2008 by in baked goods

I said yesterday that I will spoil my children a little for being so patient with me the last couple of days. Not only did I sit in front of my computer for hours on end, but sometimes I was even a bit grumpy from being so frustrated.
Today I feel like a heavy burden has been lifted off my shoulders and I spent the entire morning in the kitchen – creating!!!!! Well, the best way I know to spoil my children is to cook them something special.
My children love crumpets and I thought a fresh batch of Ricotta Crumpets with berries and cream would put smiles on their little faces. I did not have a recipe to work from, but I wrote down what I used,so here goes….

Ricotta Crumpets with Berry Compote

400ml flour
3 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
30ml caster sugar
2 eggs + 2 egg whites
250gr Ricotta cheese, crumbled
2 cups of milk

Sift dry ingredients. Beat eggs and milk together and add to flour. Crumble cheese into mixture and mix. Beat egg whites and fold into mixture. Bake spoonfuls of the mixture in a hot skillet with some oil.

For the berry compote
1 cup frozen mixed berries
2 Tbs water
100ml sugar.
1 piece of lemon peel
Boil everything together until it has reduced to a syrupy consistency.

Stack a few crumpets on a plate. Serve with berry compote and vanilla cream.

32 Responses to “Ricotta Crumpets with Berry Compote”

1. Lisa 5 June 2008 at 5:50 pm #

Hi Nina – these are on my list to make, they look divine! funny coincidence how “berry” or “macaron” or some other subject goes up all over the world at the same time! Lisa

2. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 5 June 2008 at 6:18 pm #

whoaaaaa…Nina, this sounds so delicious! Another gorgeous photo as well!

3. Janna 5 June 2008 at 6:36 pm #

It’s lunch time, I’m hungry and these look marvelous!

4. glamah16 5 June 2008 at 6:48 pm #

If I ever have business in South Africa( and I just may), I’m coming over for Sunday brunch and want you to make me there.:-) What lucky kids.

5. That Girl 5 June 2008 at 7:05 pm #

I’m so ignorant and uncultured, I thought this was a picture of pancakes! I’m definitely going to try to make crumpets some weekend morning.

6. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 5 June 2008 at 7:15 pm #

lisa – berries are not in season for us now, but the frozen ones lets me have a little summer treat in the middle of winter.

jenndz – they were…

janna – I really hope you make these, the ricotta takes a crumpet to a totally different level.

glamah – it would be an honor for me to entertain you…..

that girl – shame, don’t be so hard on yourself. I think we see so many food pictures every day that we are totally over exposed.

7. Bellini Valli 5 June 2008 at 7:30 pm #

I can see that you have changed your header completely Nina…or have I been hiding under a rock. I like the look anyway, just as I love crumpets any time and anywhere…and I agree another superb photo!!!

8. noble pig 5 June 2008 at 7:54 pm #

I wish you were my mommy! I’m sorry but they are delightful looking!

9. kat 5 June 2008 at 8:07 pm #

oh i’ve missed so many good recipes from you while i was on vacation. these look fabulous & might have to be a treat for my husband.

10. Pam 5 June 2008 at 8:11 pm #

WOW! My mouth is watering. I love the picture Nina! You are so talented.

11. Peter M 5 June 2008 at 8:17 pm #

I would attempt to eat this stack without knocking down it’s height…this is the new skyscraper of Capetown!

12. Proud Italian Cook 5 June 2008 at 11:50 pm #

You are amazing Nina, I can “see” how much you love your kids!!!

13. Emiline 6 June 2008 at 1:14 am #

Nina, I tried to email you. I don’t think I have the right address.

14. farida 6 June 2008 at 1:52 am #

These look so yummy! I would’t share these with my kids:)) Kidding:) I should try making these. Yum!

15. Kevin 6 June 2008 at 3:02 am #

That looks so good! I like the sound of ricotta crumpets.

16. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 6 June 2008 at 4:41 am #

bellini valli – yes, I did change my “look” and I am glad you approve. I love these crumpets, because they are not overly sweet.

noble pig – aaaahhhhh, I will adopt you any day!

kat – I’m glad you’re back, I missed your visits.

pam – thx, you’re making me blush now!

peter – Thank God, we don’t have too many skyscrapers in CT. The “mountain” is still the most prominent. I am doing a CT post in the very near future.You will all be booking holidays after that.

proud italian cook – Oh yes I do very much!!!!!

emiline – I was wondering what happened to you. My address is nina@boxpac.co.za.

farida – I do not believe for one minute that you are that horrible.

kevin – they are divine and I think if you leave out the sugar, you can even have a savory topping.

17. Manggy 6 June 2008 at 4:48 am #

Those look really tempting Nina! I just can’t find myself any crumpet rings, I really want some!!

18. Elly 6 June 2008 at 5:03 am #

Nina! These sound remarkable! Whoa. I know they would definitely out a smile on my face!

19. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 6 June 2008 at 5:17 am #

manggy – I did mine freestyle…

elly – Oh yes, they will for sure!

20. Mochachocolata Rita 6 June 2008 at 8:39 am #

these babies would definitely convert me into a berry addict…yum!

21. Rose&Thorn 6 June 2008 at 11:59 am #

So when are your available to sign my adoption papers, I want to be your daughter …. please!

22. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 6 June 2008 at 12:09 pm #

rita – why are you not a berry addict already, they are so diverse and delicious.

roseþ – just give me a shout, when. I am having breakfast with Sophia Lindop from capetable.com on Monday – I a, so excited.

23. Anonymous 6 June 2008 at 12:10 pm #

I was so lucky, I did not have to drool, I tasted the real thing and was it absolutely marvelous and wonderful. Every mouthful was heavenly and it was a sad moment when is was finished. Thank you sis – it just gets better and better…what’s next.

24. taste memory 6 June 2008 at 1:55 pm #

once agai stunning ~ it sounds easy too!

This will have to go on my list of things to make, perhaps @ sunday brunch – thanks for sharing…..

25. taste memory 6 June 2008 at 3:14 pm #

What is the golden syrup you’ve drizzled on top?

I’m going to make this because I can’t stop thinking about it!

Also ~ I LOVE to INDULGE too ;-)!!!

Thank you for posting your sure fire treats ~ TOTALLY worth the indulgement factor….

26. Lori Lynn 6 June 2008 at 5:12 pm #

That is a gorgeous photograph of your ricotta crumpets. I am not a pancake fan, but I think I would really like your crumpets.

27. Anonymous 6 June 2008 at 6:20 pm #

I love your berry’s on those delish flap jacks

from Christopher timm

28. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 7 June 2008 at 7:00 am #

anonymous – sis, you are my most honest critic, so if you liked it, I am happy.

taste memory – yes, it was golden syrup, but you can omit it. I wanted that look just for the photo.

lori lynn – thank you and I think you will like these as they are more cheesy thank cakey – if that makes any sense ate all.

anonymous – sweetie, that comment has just made my day.

29. Maryann 8 June 2008 at 12:28 pm #

I hate to repeat myself, but you make me do it!
    That photo is awesome, girly!
    You just blow me away! Everytime I come here I see these wonderful shots. You need a food magazine πŸ˜‰

30. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 8 June 2008 at 4:02 pm #

You do not know how hard I am trying, Maryann. After months of submitting photos, I am finally going to feature in two SA magazines – one as a blogger and the other for a few recipes. Tomorrow morning I am having breakfast with a very prominent SA chef and I am so excited…..will let you know what happened. You inspire me endlessly…..

31. Jeanne 12 June 2008 at 2:15 pm #

TasteMemory – if you are asking WHAT the golden syrup is, it’s corn surup in the US πŸ™‚

Nina – wowee wow! Too gorgeous, once again. There’s something abotu berries that’s very hard to resist – and crumpets!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Banting Chips - crunch, crunch away! - June 16, 2014

[…] miss hamburgers, sweets, fizzy drinks, good bread and of course I miss the use of flour. Making crumpets or pancakes are just not the same. We have come to the realization that it has to be a mind […]