October 22, 2019

Simple Steak – so delicious!

Posted on June 8, 2008 by in beef

There must me millions of recipes “How to cook the perfect steak”. so I am not going to bore you with another one. I have a no-fail recipe for getting our steak just perfect and I will rather share a few hints with you.

1.Start off with a good piece of meat- organic if possible, but I have had good steaks that was not certified organic, so make our own choice here.
2.Steak has to be eaten rare or if you must medium-rare. No one can guarantee a well-done steak.
For a fantastic way to tell how well cooked your steak is, click here.

3.Do not add salt in your marinade – only add salt at the end.
4.I believe in a hot grill.
5 The steak has to rest for 5-10 minutes after cooking.
I marinade my steak for a few hours before grilling in the following marinade.

Marinade for Steak
For 4 rump steaks
-olive oil(125ml)
-balsamic vinegar (1 Tbs)
-lemon juice(1 TBS)
-chopped oregano and mint
-zest of a lemon

For this meal, I had 4 lovely rib-eye steaks. I served it on a bed of lightly steamed and slightly buttered cabbage. To ring the changes, I attempted a bearnaise sauce, but I need some practice with this sauce. As you can see from the photo, it was not the smoothest of sauce. I then later read that a famous Restaurateur Fernand Point(1897-1955) said, that it takes years to perfect this sauce.
For the bearnaise sauce I went to Nola Cuisine,and you can just click here for her recipe. I used the herbs to infuse the vinegar and did not add fresh herbs to the finished sauce.

Tags:

13 Responses to “Simple Steak – so delicious!”

1. Peter M 8 June 2008 at 6:05 pm #

Nina, rare meat in perfection…very nice colour. A rump cut would need maranading but the good cuts are tender enough, sea salt & pepper just before grilling is suffice.

2. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 8 June 2008 at 6:16 pm #

Peter – AAahhhh!!!Approval from the “master”. I am indeed grateful.

3. noble pig 9 June 2008 at 12:10 am #

Ohhh, nice steak Nina. That sounds perfect for a warm summer evening. Thanks for the tips too!

4. Maryann 9 June 2008 at 2:04 pm #

hmm..I thought I left a comment here yesterday. (Thanks blogger!)
    I love your sauce and will try it next time I do steak.Rib eye is my favorite cut 🙂

5. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy 9 June 2008 at 4:25 pm #

Lol! I guess great minds think alike! Your steak looks excellent! Truly mouthwatering! I agree – it must be rare. I think the Bearnaise looks great too.

6. Pam 9 June 2008 at 9:39 pm #

My how your pictures make my mouth water!

7. Rose&Thorn 9 June 2008 at 9:48 pm #

I agree, a steak must be medium rare to have it at perfection! Brave work on the sauce.

8. Jan 9 June 2008 at 10:07 pm #

A lovely looking dish Nina.
    I think steak has to be my most bestest food in the world!!

9. Proud Italian Cook 9 June 2008 at 10:53 pm #

Am I bad to not like rare?? I just can’t do it,but I sure can do that sauce on my med steak! Again such a gorgeous photo Nina!

10. Maryann 10 June 2008 at 2:03 am #

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11. Zen Chef 10 June 2008 at 5:08 am #

For the Bearnaise you need less heat (i supposed you beat the yolks over a bain-marie?). The water should be below boiling point otherwise the eggs will cook too quickly and create lumps. Fernand Point was right, it takes practice! haha

12. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 10 June 2008 at 8:38 am #

noble pig – it was quite a cold night around here, but to have this outside with a view, would be just perfect.

maryann – Blogger can sometimes test ones patience.

stickygooeycreamychewy – I have my eye on Peter’s Blue Cheese sauce next time.

pam – I aim to please!!!

roseþ – there is no other way.

jan – pappa bear’s too!!!

proud italian cook – it is an aquired taste, but medium is not too bad….

zen chef – although my water was barely boiling and my bowl not touching the water, I think the heat was still to intense, you’re right.

13. Jeanne 12 June 2008 at 2:09 pm #

Mmm, that’s a perfectly cooked steak – a thing of rare beauty! And steak with bearnaise is one of those combos that just WORKS, like tomato and basil.