February 23, 2019

Milk Tart

Posted on June 11, 2008 by in baked goods

Milk Tart is one of South Africa’s delicacies and every granny in the land swears by her recipe that she got from her granny…….and so it goes!! The secret is an ultra-fine puff pastry case with a light and fluffy milk and egg custard,dusted with cinnamon.
Sadly, I have never made puff pastry and there are also many things I want to learn, before I even try to make this. We also all need a “quick fix” recipe when friends and relatives phone to say they are on their way for coffee!!!! I am going to help you out today with a “quick fix”, but for the adventurous cooks, click here for a true South African Milk Tart.
This recipe fills a large rectangular Pyrex dish and serves many hungry souls….

Milk Tart
For the crust

2 packets of Tennis biscuits – or any other tea cookie
125 gr melted butter

Mix together and line pie dish

For the filling
1 tin condensed milk
2 tins water(use condense milk tin)
1 tin full cream milk
1 Tbs butter
4 eggs, separated
125ml corn flower
1 vanilla pod – cut open, use inside for filling. Throw pod in milk mixture, while heating.

Slowly bring condense milk, milk, water and butter to the boil while stirring. You can also do it in the microwave oven for 8 minutes on 100%power.

Mix the following – make sure there are no lumps.
4 egg yolks
125ml corn flour
a little water for mixing

When milk mixture is almost boiling, first add a little of the hot milk to the egg mixture and then stir while add all the egg mixture to the rest f the milk mixture on the stove.

In the microwave – mix egg mixture with milk mixture and microwave for 4 minutes on 100% power, stirring every minute.

Beat egg whites to white peak stage and gently fold into custard. Pour into Pyrex dish and let it cool down. Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy with a lovely cup of coffee.

For the purpose of this photo, I kept some of the meringue, mixed with some caster sugar and piped it on an individual serving.As you can see my piping skills leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway, try this….you’ll love it!!!!

Tags:

31 Responses to “Milk Tart”

1. Peter M 11 June 2008 at 3:09 pm #

Ah Nina, you’re quick to keep your promise of showing us more SA cuisine. This is gorgeous, love the charred meringue on top and who can go wrong with condensed milk?

2. nicisme 11 June 2008 at 3:28 pm #

Oh Nina! Ab fab is all I can say to this! Not seen anything like it before, will put it on the (long) to-do list!

I love the changes you have made to your blog – lovely and summery, so inviting to read. Shall I change your name on my sidebar to ‘My Easy Cooking’?

3. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 11 June 2008 at 3:57 pm #

peter – tonight we are having true SA fare, will post later. Glad you like the milk tart.

nicisme – Oh dear, I have not even thought about that….at the moment blogger directs the traffic automatically, but you can put the new name on.

4. Helen 11 June 2008 at 5:07 pm #

Nina, you have a had a slight re-deisgn haven’t you? I’ve never seen this milk tart before but I am really ineterested to try it and will ask my SA friends what thehir recipes are too!

5. Elly 11 June 2008 at 5:23 pm #

Oooh Nina, this looks perfect! So creamy and silky, I must have a bite stat! I love the cinnamon spoon outline 🙂

6. Pam 11 June 2008 at 5:56 pm #

Looks delicious Nina. Your pictures always look wonderful.

7. That Girl 11 June 2008 at 6:12 pm #

I love regional cuisine but it makes me want to travel!

8. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 11 June 2008 at 7:57 pm #

Oh ye gods, this looks like a little piece of heaven Nina! WOW!

I will be over for coffee as soon as I make my way to South Africa…

9. noble pig 11 June 2008 at 8:15 pm #

Oh wow, this looks absolutely amazing!

10. Jan 11 June 2008 at 11:06 pm #

Nina that is such a nice looking dessert! I LOVE your picture – with the spoon out line! You are so good at pictures and cooking of course!

11. Mike of Mike's Table 11 June 2008 at 11:11 pm #

I’ve never heard of this before but it looks delicious! Also, I really love the plating–the spoon outline is a great touch.

12. Maryann 12 June 2008 at 12:06 am #

ok, put the coffee on..I’m coming over!

13. kat 12 June 2008 at 12:16 am #

I’ve never heard of that but it sounds wonderful. & that picture is just so cute.

14. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy 12 June 2008 at 3:45 am #

Milk Tart! That sounds and looks delicious! I love anything creamy and custardy. This wouldn’t last long at my house!

15. farida 12 June 2008 at 5:08 am #

What a yummy looking tart! You know, I love anything with condensed milk in it, so I am sure this would turn into my favorite as soon as I take a bit:) Nice cute picture:)

16. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 12 June 2008 at 5:12 am #

helen – yes, I re-vamped a bit. If you say felloe South Africans – do they blog too. Do you have SA roots.

elly – creamy and silky it most definitely was…

pam – thanks

that girl – how do you think all your wonderful recipes make me feel.

jenndz – I hope it does not take too long for you to get here..

noble pig –

jan – you make me blush, now….

mike – you should give it a try.

maryann – that’ll be fantastic!!!!Hurry up!

kat – really worth a try!

stickygooeycreamychewy – it did not last long here either, but luckily it is such a quick recipe you can whip up another one in a flash.

17. Proud Italian Cook 12 June 2008 at 5:55 am #

This is what you make when someone says they’re coming for coffee?? That is scrumptious looking, but then everything you make is. What lucky family members you have!

18. Mochachocolata Rita 12 June 2008 at 6:37 am #

i love the outline of the spoon in the photograph! very creative ^_^

19. Anonymous 12 June 2008 at 8:54 am #

Nina your milktart looks mouthwatering and delicous. I just want to add something, I hope you dont mind. When you mix your egg and cornflower, add a heaped tablespoon of flour. That gives it more body like a real milktart. Want to make it over the weekend/ Love Mom

20. Jeanne 12 June 2008 at 2:07 pm #

What a gorgeous pic! ANd clearly you and I are on the same wavelength at the moment, making little individual portions of big desserts 😉 I was never a huge fna of melktert as a kid – one too many overbaked tarts with that rubbery, cold custard texture – shudder. But earlier this year I made one that was light and trembling – and laced with cardamom. You MUST try it, it’s spectacular!

21. Marianna 12 June 2008 at 2:10 pm #

wow Nina!!! This is STUNNING! Amazing presentation and as I’m not so familiar with SA specialities, well I am really glad to have learned sthing new today!

22. Rose&Thorn 12 June 2008 at 3:20 pm #

Once again I have to clean the drool off my keyboard. Full marks for reinventing a classic. Will melktert ever be the same again ? I think not!

23. Anonymous 12 June 2008 at 9:11 pm #

Hi – hope you get this soon. Am a permanently homesick South African who is taking desert to a party on Saturday. Not the last of the great bakers I’m afraid. I love your recipe -but please tell me the size of the tin of condensed milk? (Hope I’m not being thick).

24. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 12 June 2008 at 9:45 pm #

proud italian cook – it is really no trouble at all to make this…

rita – glad you do..

anonymous(mom) – I would not be a cook today if it was not for the heritage ma left for me….

jeanne – will try your reciep soon, maybe this weekend.Got the in-laws coming from PE!

marianna – stick around for more SA recipes.

roseþ – I think this will give the old melktert tannies a real shock!

anonymous – where are you homesick from????the can of condensed milk is 397g. Hope it helps….

25. Kevin 13 June 2008 at 4:21 am #

That looks and sounds good! Nice photo!

26. aforkfulofspaghetti 13 June 2008 at 12:03 pm #

That’s a new one to me… Sounds like a goodie, though, so it’s going to be bookmarked!

27. Katie 13 June 2008 at 2:29 pm #

Looks amazing and LOOVe that cinnamon outline of the spoon! 🙂

28. My Sweet & Saucy 13 June 2008 at 6:14 pm #

Thank you so much for the sweet comment you wrote on my blog! This milk tart looks delicious!

29. Sophie 13 June 2008 at 7:50 pm #

I’m Sophie, Key Ingredient’s Chief Blogger. We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks 🙂

Sophie

30. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 16 June 2008 at 11:59 am #

kevin – you will not be sorry if you did!

aforkfulofspaghetti – it is one of those quickies to pull out when friends pop in…

katie – I must say it amazed my guests too!

my sweet and saucy – the comments I left are well deserved!

sophie – I sent an email to the above address.I am honored!

31. Nisha 9 September 2013 at 8:10 am #

Looks amazing, can’t wait 2 try it.