September 22, 2019

Still feel like Pastry?

Posted on June 19, 2008 by in baked goods

As promised yesterday, I want to show you just how versatile this pastry is.(see previous post) Today I made a simple ground beef filling and I played around with different sizes and serving suggestions. I am sure you will have even better ideas.
I forgot to tell our yesterday that you can make your little pies or tarts ahead of time and freeze them. When needed, pop them in a hot oven (straight from the freezer) and bake slightly longer.

Then I was tagged for a MEME by two wonderful ladies from More than burnt toast and Passionate Baker and my answers are long overdue. So here goes.
1) LAST MOVIE U SAW IN A THEATRE?

I am not good on movies, so don’t laugh…..Lion King!!!!

2) WHAT BOOK ARE U READING?

Falling Cloudberries by Tessa Kiros

3) FAVOURITE BOARD GAME?

Snakes and Ladders with my children – we’re introducing Monopoly now…

4) FAVOURITE MAGAZINE?

Food and Home

5) FAVOURITE SMELLS?

zest of a lemon, freshly cut lawn, coffee

6) FAVOURITE SOUNDS?

Rain on a zinc roof, children laughing, my children singing(they have the talent!)

7) WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD?

Not knowing where your children are. To arrive late at a destination.

8) WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN U WAKE?

I make a conscious decision to always start my day with a thought of gratitude. Followed by a recipe.

9) FAVOURITE FAST FOOD PLACE?

I hate fast food and seldom go there. I will stop for a good loaf of bread and break it off in chunks – is that fast food?

10) FUTURE CHILDS NAME?

I have two beautiful children and moving on to 50 ( a little bit of a late bloomer)so babies….I think not!

11) FINISH THIS STATEMENT—’IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY I’D……

Travel around the world and start feeding schemes where I see the need. The thought of a hungry child drives me dilly.

12) DO U DRIVE FAST?

I used too, but now I have precious cargo!

13) DO U SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL?

Only if he ate too much – he-he…couldn’t resist that.

14) STORMS–COOL OR SCARY?

I love thunder storms and rainy weather is right up my alley.

15) WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR?

A VW City Golf Sport

16) FAVOURITE DRINK?

I don’t drink wine for religious reasons, but I would most probably have been a red wine person. Rock Shandy at the moment.

17) FINISH THIS STATEMENT-IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD…

Travel with my family.

18) DO YOU EAT THE STEMS ON BROCCOLI?

If I make soup,yes!

19) IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY OTHER COLOUR, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR CHOICE?

I have 2 color streaks in my hair – my daughter says I have sunlight in my hair!

20) NAME ALL THE DIFFERENT CITIES/TOWNS U HAVE LIVED IN?

Ceres, Paarl, Stellenbosch, Somerset West, Port Elizabeth and now Cape Town

21) FAVOURITE SPORTS TO WATCH?

We are rugby fans.

22) ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?

She inspires me to be a good mother – her love for her family is very transparent.

23) WHATS UNDER YOUR BED?

My own husbands shoes!!!!Hopefully.

24) WOULD U LIKE TO BE BORN AS YOURSELF AGAIN??

For a long time, not, but self-acceptance came with age.Now I am comfortable in my own skin.

25) MORNING PERSON OR NIGHT OWL?

Definitely a morning person, but I can also work late if I have to.

26) OVER EASY OR SUNNY SIDE UP?

Sunny side up and I hate it if the yoke breaks in my plate. I eat the yolk last and let it explode in my mouth.Mmmmmm!

27) FAVOURITE PLACE TO RELAX?

In the car while driving – I drift off to faraway places.(that’s if hubby drives of course)

28) FAVOURITE PIE?

Lemon meringue

29) FAVOURITE ICE CREAM FLAVOUR?
 Lemon sorbet and the darkest chocolate available
30) OF ALL THE PEOPLE U HAVE TAGGED, WHO IS THE MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND FIRST?

Rose & Thorn

I would like to get to know the following bloggers a bit better.

1.Rose & Thorn
2.My sweet and saucy
3.Isha’s Kitchen
4.Gild the voodoolily
5.Lick your own bowl

I also was blessed to receive an award from Janna at Honeyed Hashette and I would like to pass it on to 5 bloggers who I think is beyond excellent. All 5 nominees inspire me with their fantastic photography and I often glare at their pictures to try and steal with my eyes……not much success though, they are just brilliant!

1. Peter at Fotocuisine
2. Cafe Lynnylu
3. Tastes like home
4. Scrumptiousphotography
5. Mango Power Girl
Please feel free to pass this Meme and award on to others that inspire you. If you don’t want to play along, just rest assured that I am inspired by you!!!

20 Responses to “Still feel like Pastry?”

1. Peter M 19 June 2008 at 7:27 pm #

Nina, nice pastry parcels and thanks for sharing more about yourself.

2. noble pig 19 June 2008 at 7:41 pm #

OMG you are such a show-off! Those are just beautiful!

3. Pam 19 June 2008 at 11:38 pm #

My mouth waters every time I visit your site.

4. Nikki Miller-Ka 20 June 2008 at 1:19 am #

Those look really good. I’m hungry for a snack right now. Too bad I can’t wait an hour for the pastry to thaw…

5. StickyGooeyCreamyChewy 20 June 2008 at 3:41 am #

That was a loooong meme! It was fun getting to know a little more about you, though! 😉

6. Cynthia 20 June 2008 at 4:23 am #

Oh my goodness Nina, you have me gawking at the beauty of your photography and your stunning pastries.

I’m one that’s definitely into making pastry dough and you can bet that I will be trying this out soon.

Thank you so much for the award, I am truly honoured and chuffed that you think so highly of my work. Thank you!

Big hugs.

7. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 20 June 2008 at 5:37 am #

peter – my pleasure……

noble pig – make them and you can show off too.

pam – I am happy that you come so often, thx!

nikki – bite the bullet, make a batch for the weekend and you need not wait anymore!

stickygooeycreamychewy – I was exhausted after that one.

cynthia – I am excited to see what you make with this pastry..You are one of my favorite bloggers, MAMA CYNTHIA!!!

8. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen 20 June 2008 at 5:59 pm #

Those puff pastry treats look delicious! What a fun meme too! 🙂

9. michelle @ TNS 20 June 2008 at 8:29 pm #

i will eat ANYTHING that’s wrapped in puff pastry. anything. all the better if it’s something i like anyway, but i’ll eat stuff i hate if you surround it with that much buttery goodness.

10. Mike of Mike's Table 20 June 2008 at 9:01 pm #

These look like a really tasty snack and reminded me that I have some puff in the freezer that I should be playing with now that you’ve got me thinking about it!

11. Emiline 21 June 2008 at 11:31 am #

The pastries look really good! I love pastry dough.

And Lion King is a classic.

12. RecipeGirl 22 June 2008 at 2:30 pm #

Nice use of that pastry… those look delicious!

13. PeterMarcus @ fotocuisine 22 June 2008 at 9:14 pm #

Hey, wow! Thanks so much! Christey’s photography is really the star, I think, but we really appreciate the kind words!

14. RSAgirl 22 June 2008 at 11:27 pm #

I just “happened” upon your blog, and it really is great. When I have a “free” moment I will try to read as far back as I can. One quick question re : your meme. Why don’t you drink wine? Is the Rock Shandy alcohol free? Just curious :0)
    Have a super week.

15. kat 23 June 2008 at 12:46 am #

i love all these pastry ideas!

16. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 23 June 2008 at 5:15 am #

jenndz – hubby and I had a good laugh at the meme too.

michelle@tns – my, my but you do love the stuff…

mike – what are you waiting for

emiline – this recipe makes it my favorite too – not the longwinded kind.

recipe girl – thank you.

petermarcus – my pleasure.

rsagirl – RSA???? from where? Please I need to know. I am a member of the Old Apostolic Church and therefor it is against my faith to drink. A rockshandy consists of 1/2 lemonade, half sodawater with a few drops of bitters. Bitters has alcohol in, but in a rock shandy not enough to get you drunk. Email me at nina(at)boxpac.co.za and we can continue this discussion.

17. Jeanne 24 June 2008 at 3:14 pm #

Love this meme! And love those little parcels. My mom also used to use half her batch of pastry for sweet stuff and half for savouries – now you’ve given me a yearning for a pie!

I also love rock shandies and I DO drink – they are the perfect grown-up non-alcoholic drink. Have you tried a steelworks?

18. Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) 26 June 2008 at 7:45 am #

jeanne – never heard of a steelworks, but will ask next time.Thx for the tip.

19. Heather 29 July 2008 at 11:36 pm #

Oh, how embarrassing! I didn’t know that you’d passed this on to me. Thanks! I did this one for Emiline a week or so ago. 🙂

20. Lynnylu 19 December 2008 at 12:32 am #

Nina, just saw that you gave my blog “Cafe LynnyLu”an award. Thanks so much and I’m sorry it took me so long to find it.
    Your pastries look so good!