November 14, 2019

Lamb chops with a Malay twist….

Posted on June 25, 2008 by in lamb

Sosaties(Pronounced: sui-sah-ti’s) are to be found on many a traditional South African barbecue. It consists of pieces of lamb on a skewer, but it is not a kebab!! I found this post on Recipezaar and for your convenience I am copying it here.

Sosaties are not kebabs. They’re meat on skewers, but they marinate in a distinctive sauce with a traditional flavour. They are never made from beef, but from lamb. Most people prefer to use pork cubes as well. It is not plonked into any old curry sauce and then grilled.

As this is a traditional recipe, there are many slight variations, but the meat should not vary from lamb, and the sauce is a curry-type sweet-sourish sauce infused with Malay spices. (The Cape Malays, also Indonesians, who now prefer to be called Moslems, came to the Cape as slaves and as political refugees from Ceylon, in the days of the Dutch East India Company, and brought with them their wonderful cuisine and spices. This led to many slaves soon promoted to chief cooks in the houses of the rich. We have to thank them for most of our spicy Cape dishes). Sosaties is also one of those pioneer foods which can last for ages in its sauce, so don’t leave it in the sauce for a night. Leave it for at least 3 days. Grill over medium coals, don’t burn, and don’t dry out. You won’t be sorry you’ve done this job …

For the recipe, just click HERE!

I followed the recipe for the marinade to the T, but I made a slight adjustment by using lamb chops and not sosaties. Here we call them Curry Chops, but it really is just a variation on a sosatie. Basically you marinade the chops for at least 24 hours and then either grill them on the barbecue or griddle pan – your choice. I served mine with some polenta and a curried onion puree. Come on! Try it and let me know what you think!

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to “Lamb chops with a Malay twist….”

1. That Girl 26 June 2008 at 6:35 pm #

There’s just something about lamb that always makes me drool!

2. noble pig 26 June 2008 at 6:48 pm #

This is comfort food…it gives me that warm-homey feeling inside. Beautiful post!

3. Peter M 26 June 2008 at 9:52 pm #

Nina, refreshing new look to the blog and I’m always delighted to read into SA cuisine…you know I’d be eating these chops with my hands!

4. glamah16 27 June 2008 at 3:23 am #

Great post. The lmab sounds and looks incredible.Thanks for the bit of history. Im starting to love reading about SA food.

5. Rose&Thorn 27 June 2008 at 9:39 am #

I’m off this weekend to visit my Mom (and my butcher) in Stilbaai. Have already ordered all my meat, can’t wait to try this on some of the big fat lamb chops – I’m drooling already.

6. We Are Never Full 27 June 2008 at 4:16 pm #

this meal sounds amazing. there’s something about traditional meals that you really have to wait for. they truely are the best tasting.

7. Mike of Mike's Table 27 June 2008 at 4:49 pm #

I just so happen to have plans for lamb chops tonight as well. This looks absolutely delicious!

8. Liz 22 March 2011 at 6:38 am #

Wow this recipe is really good!can't help to make one.